How long has it been since you've had formal training?

Agreed. Training has the shelf life of bananas. Use it or lose it.

3 Likes

I did train with John Correia back in 2018. Other than that, it’s monthly trips to the range and semi-annual renewals.

2 Likes

Hello and welcome @Hawker900XP

2 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @Hawker900XP and great to have you here.

1 Like

Training is like trying to describe an elephant.
IMHO trainers and curriculums focus on limited issues for simplicity because the simpler it is, the easier it is to learn and the more successful the training session
The quality of training is judged by success, whatever that is.
That’s well and good but I feel that for CCW it’s not the be all and end all.

Formal training is excellent for instilling discipline and getting good, real time feed back to fix problems as well as providing a variety of scenarios. It’s all good, but it’s not everything.
Here’s why:

When I served on a SAR unit, we mostly operated within the boundaries of one particular National Forest.
We did a lot of formal training both afield and in combination with classroom work with excellent, very professional instructors.
But that wasn’t enough—we were strongly encouraged to just get out there and spend time in that National Forest using both our equipment and our gray matter on outdoor trips with family, friends and even solo, in order to learn that National Forest and be comfortable until pathfinding there became second nature along with developing a kind of sixth sense when it came to recognizing natural hazards.

My point is, while formal training is important, what you practice what you’ve learned outside a formalized situation will help determine the outcome of a real world situation as much. if not more. than training you’ve received.

Of course I could be full of beans.

2 Likes