How often do you get training?

Having the joy and opportunity from the USCCA at getting information and going through the levels is awesome but have you spent time on the range with an instructor? And do you have any plans on experiencing training from an instructor anytime soon?

The USCCA have many instructors throughout the country that offers training in basic safety to advanced self-defense shooting. The training you will receive will be priceless and helpful for when you go to the range by yourself and practice. Just remember that training and practicing are two different things all together. The drills you are taught with an instructor are repeatable and by understanding what it is the instructor is trying to imbed into your skull you can use that drill to practice on your own and continue to improve your skills.

Share your training class and how it may have helped you. Another person’s experience can be a good tool to finding good information.

7 Likes

I have trained with KD of NoOtherChoice a few times and love his approach. Breaking down the process analytically and diving deep into the “why” of everything we do. The experience and connections I have made through his events have been priceless. Especially from a small business standpoint.

As far as individualized training, it’s daily for dry fire. As should every-single-person reading this. Larger group events I would suggest at least a couple a year. Also, don’t forget basic medical training. These skills are also perishable and if you carry a firearm, you need to be educated on Emergency First Aid.

We now hold a monthly course in Emergency First Aid in Central Minnesota. We’ve a class coming up Saturday, Oct. 22nd, 2022 and limited to 10 people.

Love USCCA and the resources. It’s been a blessing for sure!

6 Likes

Not nearly often enough with a trainer. Few and far between in WY. Mainly just shooting drills on my own.

7 Likes

Love the honesty. What are some drills you do at home? Here’s a couple you could try.

3 Likes

As an instructor, have you been taking a class here and there for yourself?

4 Likes

Most definitely. We are all students and we’re always evolving. Our training needs to adhere to these same principles. Consider all the firearm upgrades and technological advances, we need to train with these new tools and test them.

5 Likes

What trainings have you been to and would you recommend anyone in particular?

5 Likes

I usually pick drills off of USCCA or i have a few books and magazines at home that have some drills in them.

4 Likes

Definitely great resources and access to continued education here. What level member are you? Gold/Platinum/Elite? Reason I ask, there are training benefits for upgrading.

3 Likes

My wife and I had taken a basic Handgun 1 and 2 at our local range earlier this year.
We go to the range often and I wanted more in person training.
This past weekend, we went to a two day class that was a 4 in one at a range much further away.
We learned their basic handgun, drawing from OWB holster, Low Light/flashlight, and shooting while moving.
We both really enjoyed it. Alot of good information, and having someone observe you and point out areas they see you could improve on is a big help.
I do alot of dry fire stuff at home, but live classes can be real eye opening. I highly suggest people do it if they are able.
The low light/flashlight was great, considering at home I suspect if we are to really have a problem, it will be at at night in a dark house :thinking:
Holding an item in one hand (flashlight) and shooting with the other is totally different than just doing one-handed shooting.
After the basics, everything was done going from holster, and mixing in both tactical and speed reloads in real fire is totally different than just dry drills.

5 Likes

The more we learn, the more we realize how much we don’t know. Great courses for sure. Don’t let those skills fade. Write them down and implement it into scheduled practice. These courses are definitely fun!

6 Likes

I train 3 to 4 times a month during spring thru fall. Shoot IDPA and then compete. Great training, makes you think about different scenarios. Forces you to engage multiple targets, reload, and shoot from cover and occasionally moving targets. I highly recommend IDPA.

5 Likes

In the USCCA Defensive Shooting Fundamentals classes the instructors note a distinctive difference between training and practice. Training involves learning new or correcting imperfect skills with guidance from another person (instructor or trainer), while practice involves repeating and improving your skills on your own, once learned. I think some in this thread may be counting practice as training. Even competition such as IDPA, , USPCA, or target marksmanship competitions are, I suggest, more properly practice and not training.

7 Likes

I had a class with Conceal Trainer in July with Mick. It was a fighting pistol class. I am looking for a local trainer right now so I do not have to travel too far but I will travel for just the experience.

3 Likes

I trained under USCCA Instructors for a long time, whenever I found a class in rational distance from my Town.
So far I was lucky to attend few DSF classes and all Pistol classes. But… hard to tell it, these became a little boring and I felt those were limiting my training and options for being better shooter and more aware citizen.

I started looking for something more advanced and now I stick with local private class on few Ranges - indoor and outdoor (when I can actually perform drills that work for me, not drills that are safe according to Range rules) and training sessions from reputable “big names” like Travis Haley and Tim Kennedy.

I recently found out what is a difference between range drills / range scenarios simulations vs. reality.
I really like active, not stationary shooting which is closer to real life. But I definitely like pushing myself to my limits.
Shooting while moving? Yes, that’s definitely something we must practice… but in reality… is it going to be moving? Perhaps running?
Shooting single target? Or perhaps shooting multiple targets with bystanders? And still moving or running.

This may sound weird, but I feel a simple range line is not giving anything to me anymore. Action, decisions, stress, tiredness - whatever we feel during work day. This is today’s life, quick and hard to control.
I decided I have to be prepared for it. So that’s me.
Local training at least once per week, more advanced and strenuous training every 2 - 3 months.

4 Likes

What do you think of IDPA tournaments?

2 Likes

I don’t have any thoughts about competition shooting.
I never competed with firearm and never will.
It’s my mindset that differentiate self defense from competition.
I’m using firearm to defense myself and soccer ball to compete. I cannot switch it… :neutral_face:

1 Like

I have not been in official IDPA events, but have done over a dozen informal IDPA-type competitions that follow most of the IDPA rules. While some competitors do use special holsters and guns , rather than EDC concealed carry, I only use may EDC gear and concealing garments. I have found the competitions to be great self-defense scenario events, even if a bit structured, to practice draw, aim, and fire, to include multiple targets requiring transition and movement to different positions during the scenario. I recommend IDPA as a good self defense practice.
Because the complete scenario is explained before you have to shoot, and you can watch other competitors perform it before your turn, IDPA does not incorporate the analysis and decision challenges of real life, but it still is much better than square range practice.
For actual training with scenarios unfolding as they happens, I found John Murphy (FPF Training) to have great live fire drills with moving targets and requiring decisions on threat and level of response (e.g. no threat or pepper spray or gun). You can see a lot of his instruction on his FPF Training Channel on YouTube.

4 Likes

I have been going to the indoor range twice a month and with an empty weapon I practice my draw in front of a mirror. I have been completing a lot of the USCCA training videos on the dashboard also. I do a lot of hours at my job so I find it difficult to find time to train but I will be retiring before the end of the year, God willing, and one of my goals is to take the USCCA CCHD Instructor course and keep moving forward from there.

5 Likes

I dont pay any one to train me,I self train with laser snap cape and 2 laser targets one is a bulls eye and the other is 4 timed light targets with center bulls eye and along with that I train my motor memory and my spherical sight,it is what my group taught me the 2 months in Cambodis and Laoas,and they taught how to survive confrontations and to survive

2 Likes