Target Practice

That’s right, practice. As in practice what you learned during training.
Since the ammo shortages, I’ve done precious little target practicing for obvious reasons.
I miss being able to make a power buy a couple of times a year, and weekly or even monthly shooting therapy at a range.
Dry fire and launching a small number of rounds “if and when” isn’t the same.
I find a lack of practice time puts training on the back shelf if I can’t commit what I’ve trained on to memory.

Next month I need to get my CCW renewal ball rolling and qualify with live ammo. If the course of fire is the same as two years ago, it’s pretty easy but even then it isn’t going to be what I consider adequate and if I had the extra ammo (and a means to replace it) I’d love to take a training class of some kind in preparation, but what’s the point if I can’t practice what I’ll learn?

I’m very grateful for the excellent on-line training from USCCA and the training articles in Concealed Carry of course and it makes what range time I can afford far more productive, so I can’t really complain.
It’s just that I find myself living in a very different world than what I’ve been used to

4 Likes

I’m sure you are able to adopt to new conditions… like most of us, who remember “old good times”.

I’m also grateful for online training sessions provided by Institutions like USCCA (unfortunately, mostly I have to use others :innocent:).
But please remember - training is good if you train correctly. It may happen that you think you train good, but you may train bad habits.
Every training must be confirmed with feedback, before you start practicing.
You may end up with learning your mind and body to do things incorrectly, not efficiently nor effectively.

:crossed_fingers: :v:

1 Like

It has been hard for lots of people to train on the regular like we’re used to doing. It is definitely important to have that live-fire practice as much as possible. I am glad to see that you have been utilizing the online training available in your Member Dashboard to keep your mental skills sharp.

I hope it can get better for you so you can train more often, as well as others around the country. Good luck with your renewal qualifications. I’m sure you’ll do just fine.

4 Likes

We do what we’re able to do. I’ve found an instructor helping out even when dry firing practice can point out certain good/bad actions. The Sirt Laser gun and laser bullets for the EDC firearms are a good investment.
Oh yes, Barrel Block and dummy rounds and specific targets also.
Then get to a live range as often as possible, with a instructor if possible.
No matter what type of practice, at least your mindset to practice is great.

2 Likes

@John292 >> Do you have to Qualify every time you renewal your pistol permit :question:
PS: anything to do with firearms is not easy and very expensive to get ;that’s one of the reasons I’m back into archery. I’m not concerned about not going to the shooting rang as much, as far as self defense practice it’s burnt into my brain pan permanently. I do have some good target amo for my 22 target rifle I’ll use next time my friend goes to our range.
Less quantity but more Quality shooting.
Good shooting what ever you shoot.

2 Likes

For the most part, I’d say the ammo shortage is behind us.

For now.

The prices we’re seeing now will probably not go much lower.

We all have budget limitations and do what we can to make do. I find 50 or so rounds of my carry caliber a week to be preferable to 200 rounds once a month. And I supplement my marksmanship training with .22lr.

4 Likes

For every rifle or pistol I own I have a matching .32 that I can teach and train with. Saves on heavy rounds. $$$

.32? I bet you mean .22. :wink:

2 Likes

Yup! Can’t even blame spell check on that one.

1 Like

900 rounds of .22 today…bought pre covid, $27 if I shoot it all,and no need to replace in this lifetime :skull_and_crossbones:

Air Rifles Sunday, Itarget pro Monday…

1 Like

Yes.
Pre shortage I purchased Magtec “Shootiin’ Size” cartons for both calibers I have listed on my CCW so I’m good for the next decade of renewal quals if my ticker is willing.

2 Likes

They say we are here for a reason, I for sure I should not be here ; but for now let someone else’s figure it out , the dots are getting connected; don’t Look a gift horse in the mouth, give it a big sloppy kiss and enjoy the time we have.
So say Blacky
Use it or loose it.

3 Likes