How long has it been since you've been to the range?

Went today outdoors on my friends property with a few other friends and shot steel targets for about 4 hours. A lot of fun was had. Between all of us we had about 15 guns on the table and it seemed like we would not run out of ammo. We were some shooting fools. It has been a while since I have shot outdoors at steel targets and I struggled at first then I got sighted in and it was game on. My advice to my brothers and sisters out there in the community, take it from me, shooting is a perishable skill, if you don’t use it you lose it. Practice, Practice and Practice. One good thing during our conversations is that ammo prices were down and shelves were stocked.

10 Likes

Went Saturday. Took the Evil Black Rifle, and a Garand out for a spin. A good time was had by all.

6 Likes

Yesterday.Had a blast.Plus got the old lady to shoot a 44 mag for the first time.

3 Likes

Yesterday, Helped with Hunter safety class range time
graduated 18 students

Mike

7 Likes

Today. Brought my neighbor up to the club. Dennis just got his permit. He had his NY permit 10 years, but never shot a gun 'til he met me. Not sure how that works but it’s what he’s said a few times. Now permitted in CT, he brought a pistol (hi-point, initially held it sideways :laughing:… it’s a NY thing maybe :rofl:) in .380 and a nice looking little .32 revolver. I just shot a couple mags each through the 4 pistols I brought, 2 in 45, 2 nines…
Headed to the rifle range, buddy wants a CT “other”, AR based, so I brought my 3, 12.5, 14.5 and 16". First mag with the 12.5, offhand, it was thewackthwacktheack…on steel at 120, so I quit while I was ahead. Ran Dennis through controls, where to buy/build one etc… basically a lot of information that he was happy to get. Had to take his picture with 2 of the guns :laughing:, then he shot a mag out if the 12.5" hit the steel half the time, and wanted to buy that gun :blush:. I told him I had been thinking of selling it, but as I shot my one mag, tired from lack of sleep and hit the plate every pull, I was thinking $800, nope, $1000…$1200…$1400…and by the 10th thwack…NOT FOR SALE!!:+1:. We never did shoot my longer ‘others’. No worries, still clean and there’s other days.

4 Likes

Evil black rifle…5.56x45
Wood stocked classic Garand…7.62x63

BWAHAHAHAHA :laughing:

4 Likes

Awesome, and very true about using it or losing it…My main issue is front sight focus, so it’s weekly to the club, and several times a week at home, just drawing and keeping the eyes going as best I can…

4 Likes

Good for you MICHAEL_LEE1

Of course I’m saddened by the shootings of recent. Worse, it’s commonplace. Wouldn’t be surprised it occurs more often in America during warm weather. Even had family fall victim.

And I’ll do what I can to reduce such incidents. However, part of our culture has called it “Gun Violence”.

Before it’s gun violence, it’s violence, before it’s violence, there was a person behind it. If we do not address the development of that person, we are not helping.

It was not until today, when I heard it myself, on my own, and it was not forced onto me, when I realized it.

Thank you; For of all the different work you could be doing instead, you chose to train on safety ---- and "that "makes a difference.

Check out the very end of this film “Stars In The Sky”, where a hunter describes a life of respect and honor:

3 Likes

Yesterday, wife and I went to our favorite outdoor range. I sighted in one of my newer firearms (semi handgun) and then helped my wife a little figuring out why she’s been shooting low and to the right. She is using a red dot optic on her semi 9mm. She was on the end range slot where the sun was hitting her from the front left side. After a while I moved her to the range slot I was using which had more shade and she started hitting a lot closer to aim point. I figured out her glasses she was wearing or the optics were refracting from the sun light and causing it to act like when you look into the water and the object in the water is not exactly where you see it.
Woundering if anyone else has had something like this happen to them?

2 Likes

You didn’t mention if she was wearing Rx glasses, which would make this more likely to happen. In any event, there are coatings that should prevent this. I always wear a cap when shooting, and have often had to move it into a position to better shade my glasses.

3 Likes

@Larry130, Yes she wears RX glasses. I thank you for confirming my thoughts of what was happening. Moving to a more shaded range position did get her on target better. She wears a ball cap though at 8:00 am when we get to this outdoor range the sun comes from a lower rear left side angle which hits the inside lens on her left eye.
She’s a south paw person.
Again, Thanks.

3 Likes

Coated clip-ons may do the trick. Check with her optometrist.

3 Likes

IDPA training today. Went over rules and regs, then 6 shot/speed, 2 shotx3 target then move to 2x6 target plus engage steel, then Mozambique (two to the body, one to the head) 6 target and finally a 5x5 drill.
Did better than expected, o.s. moment forgetting steel, but nailed first shot…out of sequence :sweat_smile:…put my G19 away for a few years, but it’ll be my go-to gun for the qualifier next week.
Going to get a .45acp Lazer bullet and get my Range Officer handling smoother for the future, as it came set up for this comp…but I need to get a lot better on my handling with that rig. Life is for learning.

4 Likes

I went today. Took 3 handguns & an ar pistol. Went last weekend too.

3 Likes

I don’t own stock in G-Sight - just sayin’.

I get to the range about once a week, maybe every other week sometimes.

Every day, I do dry fire training with a G-Sight laser cartridge. There are others out there as well.

I can attest that when I daily do a couple hundred “rounds” of dry-fire with the laser cart, the next time I go to the range, my groupings are always better. Always! When I slack off on the laser firing, things get sloppy.

Can’t get to the range? Get one of these laser things from the manufacturer of your choice. They really do help.

6 Likes

:+1: :+1:
I can only click the thumb once… :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

:+1: :+1::+1: :+1:

Get one of these laser things… even you CAN get to the Range.

5 Likes

Just now. More shooting with TP9

3 Likes

Sunday. I finally decided to do the range portion of my Level I qualification. 49/50 (one outside the circle at 15 yards).

I also had the opportunity to compare my shooting two years apart, almost to the day. Splatterburst on the left from May 2020, paper on the right from May 2022, 3 yards top, 7 yards bottom (NM CCW qualification distances):

7 Likes

Twenty minutes ago.Trap shooting this time.Had a blast.

6 Likes