How long has it been since you've been to the range?

Good for you. yesterday, visited Mom first. Then stopped by the range to pick up an item, noticed the range was sparse, as most still visiting their families given the holiday.

Surprised myself with a nice tight group with 6 rounds, out of a .380, at 30 feet.

If I can do it, anyone can. Now I know I got it in me. Perhaps like you say, use it or lose it.

Ammo on the shelves there: 9mm, .380, 40 cal., 38 special; $25-$35 a box. Few other calibers. Noticed there were no .22 caliber on the shelves though.

Kinda wish 25 and 32 caliber in ACP for semi autos would be on the shelves. They spark my interest, but I wonder if pre 2020, if 25 and 32 were on the shelves back then?

3 Likes

See, now you said:

And I thought:

5 Likes

Beretta 83 in 32acp is my EDC. I know “the experts” say it’s underpowered but I know anybody that stand still to let me hit with a round. I like how John Corria puts it: FIBSA, Fudge I’ve Been Shot At. And the bad guy will beat feet out of there, usually.

3 Likes

About that logic…do you know anybody that will stand still and let you shoot them with a pellet gun/air rifle?

Do you know anybody that will stand still and let you hit them with a Maglite?

That’s not really the way to measure whether or not your chosen gear is a good choice for life or death defensive use. Just sayin’

You are right, though…usually. But if you’re after “FIBS-at”, you could carry a starter pistol and still defend yourself without the legal liability of possibly shooting somebody.

Back full circle, in the end, if the little .32 is the biggest gun you are willing to actually carry every day, carry it, it’s better than no gun at all anyway which is what most people have

4 Likes

You’re making some assumptions here. It’s not the only one I’m willing to carry. I can conceal it very easily over my other choices and where I work is or could be upsetting to our customers. But I got to thinking when one person started showing off his new EDC in the waiting room! I KNOW I can hit what I aim at with the 32 in a small area. As John also says: it’s the person that gets hits in the meaty bits of the other person first that usually wins the fight.

Blessings to you

3 Likes

As John also says, you are looking for something in the ‘window of acceptability’, which John references the FBI standards to define. So what would John say? John would say 12-18" of penetration in the FBI tests particularly the heavy clothing test. For that, .32 ACP doesn’t qualify. Don’t shoot the messenger, John said it. :slight_smile:

Shot placement + penetration

(spoiler, John says .380 is marginal/questionable, that’s the crossover point)

4 Likes

I do my best not to shoot the messenger but don’t alway succeed.

3 Likes

I respect John’s opinion but it doesn’t mean that I don’t factor in my needs. I take what John says, along with others and form my own opinions to fit.

Not sure if it was you that said: might as well carry a starter pistol. Here we go again, ignoring what was written and taking to an extreme. I understand your sentiments but everyone knows a noise maker isn’t worth carrying. You need something that puts holes in something else. Whether it goes through 18” of jelly means little to me.

3 Likes

You said “I like how John Corria puts it: FIBSA, Fudge I’ve Been Shot At…And the bad guy will beat feet out of there, usually.”

Which is also true of a starter pistol. Just pointing that out to show that maybe the FIBS-at being applicable for ____ doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a great self defense choice.

4 Likes

Even a starter pistol will kill you if close enough

3 Likes

Think I’d rather have my pocket knife or a good stick rather than a starter pistol:)

.380 is as low as I comfortably go and I feel marginal with that. Especially if barriers or shots over 15-20 yards are a possibility. Nothing against your 32 but have you tried some of the newer micro .380s? Several nice options these days for maximum concealability and barely know it’s there comfort.

4 Likes

I have to ask, what is a starter pistol?

Caliber wise, I started with a 40, then moved down to a 9mm, and back up to a 10mm.

Edit: I did forget I had a 380 right after the 40.

3 Likes

Try. Again.

I think they mean blanks fired to start a race or similar.

5 Likes

Fed$^%$ won’t be happy you are not plugging the new Super 30 “vunder-round”!

3 Likes

Its been so long I can’t find my pack of splatter targets! It seems like I thought it was a good idea to take them out of the range bag to keep them flatter, but I have torn my house apart looking for them and they are hiding very well. :smiley:

The plan is to evaluate some Sig 365 FMJ and HP ammo tomorrow.

3 Likes

we have 2 ranges here on the farm [pistol/rifle] and the sportsman club down the road
just gota get motivated to break a few caps

Mike

4 Likes

If you kept a log, you’d know where they were and how many of each you had. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Went today, maintaining that weekly thing. Wanted to run 2 types of defense rounds through my G43 as it hiccuped last outing on the first mag. It ran flawlessly with my xtp and Winchester Ranger except on one aftermarket mag, so I loaded that mag with RN and 3 mags with the Ranger at the end 147 +p, pushes like .45acp imo…My 19 ran everything well, but was happy to get out, then a quick 100 rounds of .22lr in Casper, the friendly coughghostguncough…Shot like crap, but beat from cutting, hauling and splitting firewood the past 5 days. Went to the rifle range,iow paced bolt gun day, too beat to drill, just wanted to bench rest,even my 5.56 was more than I wanted to deal with, but fine tuned my scope for warmer weather, then switched to .22lr and did baby pews…and was happy. One mag offhand with each gun, then back to sitting.
Actually had people there today, finally met the rifle committee head honcho, had a great chat. Ended up spending 3 hours, 50 minutes, shooting like crap, but enjoying the trigger therapy and like minded socializing.

4 Likes

The 365 ammo worked great in the Sig P938. My observations are purely subjective:

I mixed the Full Metal Jacket (FMJ) and Hollow Point (HP) rounds in the same magazine and could not tell which was which from Point Of Impact (POI) nor recoil.

The recoil seems “snappier” than a magazine of Winchester 115gr FMJ and Sig V-Crown 124gr I used for comparison. Since the 365 ammo is designed for short (3.1") barrels, perhaps it has a really fast burning powder and develops more energy than the Winchester/V-Crown 124gr can (in a short barrel).

This is the cleanest burning ammo I have ever experienced.

4 Likes

Went today and put 180 rds through my Taurus G3 to break it in. Just got it a couple weeks ago, along with my P365. I bought a sleeve to put over the grip of my 365 because my hands engulf it otherwise. Still getting used to its size, but I love it. Also used my M&P9 compact as thats what I’ve been practicing with for my CCW class in 2 weeks.

3 Likes