Private Gun Ranges

Hey guys,

I am an instructor and live in Michigan. I have over 10 acres zoned Rural Agricultural. I am wondering what it takes to start and operate a private range as far as legalities go. I cannot find anything in Michigan or local laws that prohibits me from operating a private range. Does anyone know of any rules/permits that are required. I want to be safe and legal if possible.

Thanks -Nate-

1 Like

guess it depends were in Mi
if in Oakland co. the locals will holler like all get out
if in Houghton/Keweenaw Co. no problem , just another day in Da Yoop

Mike

3 Likes

haha, I hear you there. Iā€™m in South west Kent County. Lots of neighbors out here shoot and hunt and I hear a lot of people mag dumping weekly.

1 Like

Suggest you start with your insurance agent, then to the County Building & Permits Department.

5 Likes

The NRA has a department dedicated to building and operating ranges.

4 Likes

@Nate3 Just like Larry130 suggested, check at the County Building & Permits Department, maybe in the planning & zoning dept.

2 Likes

There are a lot of important things to know about.
IE:

• liability
  • none profit
  • rural tax classification.
    PS: maybe Mr. Mike could give you a Huss.
    @MikeBKY
2 Likes

Thanks for tagging me @Blacky!

My first assumption is that this is truly private and would only be used by you, family and friends. It will not be open to the public and will not be used for profit.
As for the laws that will apply, I would contact the local code/regulation enforcement agency as the starting point. If land in the area is commonly used for hunting, then setting up your own range is probably unregulated or subject to little regulation. Once you determine if you can legally build it, the possibilities are unlimited.

Here is a little info on the basics needed. A Complete Guide to Building Your Home Shooting Range ā€“ Silencer Central

You should consult a local lawyer if you are planning something open to the public for profit or not.

8 Likes

@Nate3 >> there you go Mr. Nate.
THANKS MR. MIKE.

4 Likes