Question for "State Law Savvy" people

Good day,

MA is my home state and I have LTC (Unrestricted). I live in a town where the police chief encourages the residents to get their LTC. Several disclosures: I have tried to answer these questions on my own and I am a bit confused. Obviously the MA gun laws are a joke, we all know that.That being said, I want to do things by the book (at least until if/when the day comes where they come knocking on my door wanting to take my guns).

My parents have land in ME where they are building a home. Probably won’t be done for 2+ years. I would like to 1. Build a real AR-15 to keep there and 2. Buy certain hand guns that are legal there and not here. I have read that ME dealers could sell me a rifle but not a hand gun (it would have to be MA legal and it would need to be sent to a MA dealer for a transfer).

First question: is it possible for me to apply for a non- resident pistol permit in ME using their address ? Is it possible to change my home state to ME? If so, and I buy these guns legally in ME, can I bring them back to MA?

Second question: In regards to the AR-15. I am familiar with how the laws work in terms of the lower being the serialized part that make it “the gun”. I have a SW MP 15-22 so I am comfortable with this type of weapon. After shooting a relative’s 5.56 rifle up in Vermont, I want to build one. What is the minimum that I have to do in order to purchase and build this gun up in ME? Is it legal for me to buy parts online and have them shipped to MA ? Once built there, is it still completely illegal in MA (even if its taken apart and stored in pieces)? I would like to have it , not only to shoot for practice, but something with more firepower for when sh#$ hits the fan.

Thank you!

1 Like

I am not an attorney nor do I play one on TV. I also did not sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Sounds like a recipe for trouble. I would ask questions of this serious of a nature to a local pro 2A attorney.

YMMV

2 Likes

I’m with @Zavier_D on this one. Check with a local 2A attorney for the best information.

Changing your state of residency is also likely to have tax implications, so I’d be sure to review that aspect as well.

1 Like