Wait time for CHL - 4 months or more!

I’m sure nearly everyone here already has their CHL, but I joined USCCA before my gun even arrived for the great training. I wanted a head start. I took Pistol 1 with a local, retired SF guy about 2 weeks ago. It counted as a CHL class, so I went to fill out the application on the Sheriff’s website yesterday. It says they are backed up and it could take 3 months to get in. However, once I got to the point of setting up my appointment…the soonest one is January 14th, 2021…and that’s just the appointment! My understanding is that Oregon then takes 3 months AFTER that visit to issue a CHL. I could be wrong on that last part, but it will be January at the soonest, mid-April at the latest.

I’m very frustrated, but all that to say, if you’re waiting around because you think it’ll be easy, set it up now! It’ll probably just get worse from here and at least you can get the ball rolling.

Edit: does anyone knowledgeable know if I have to stay in my county to get it? Could I go to a smaller town without such a long wait time?

3 Likes

Caden,
We live in Idaho, and our Idaho enhanced concealed carry permit does not have reciprocity in OR. We have heard there are constitutional sheriffs in other counties that will expedite applications. We do some work on our day job in eastern OR, and we desire an OR permit. I will check with some of our patriots, fellow firearms instructors, in western Idaho and see if I can come up with a suggestion or two.

I am not sure of this statement…does UT have reciprocity in OR? You might check…also see if WY? maybe as an out of stater you might be able to obtain these permits…i am not sure…

2 Likes

Thanks! If you come up with any ideas I’m all ears. Oregon is one of the weird states that doesn’t honor any out of state permits, unfortunately. Lots of states honor ours, but we don’t return the favor.

I’ve done a little digging and all the wording on government websites say to “apply with the sheriff in your county”, but I might call around to see if there is a constitutional sheriff nearby with some advice.

3 Likes

8 weeks here to just get an appointment to get fingerprinted and submit your paperwork. I have no idea what the actual processing time is now. Getting worse by the week!

3 Likes

Caden,

Welcome to Oregon’s shifting political climate. Most of my family lives in various parts of Oregon and some are LEO’s. I wanted to get my out of state but frankly postponed it till the current political drama ends.

So, as far as I know, you have to apply in the county you live in UNLESS you are applying out of state. Since you aren’t, you’re going to have to wait. Getting your license does take a while in many areas and states. It took me almost a year to get mine. One issue you may have is your cert class may expire before you ever get the approval to proceed with training. That happens to a lot of people in my area where they take classes before they even had their interview and then when they get to the interview, they learn they have to take another class because that cert is more than XXX number of days so it can’t be used. I’ll bet you’ll need to take it over before you’re done so don’t get upset.

With all the silliness going on in my old neck of the woods, it’s no surprise that more people are going for their CHL and in turn the wait is what it is. I would verify everything I said with your local sheriff’s department JUST to be sure (since I don’t want to steer you wrong).

3 Likes