How does your significant other feel about self-defense/guns?

My wife likes to shoot 22 LR, but is not a fan of anything much larger than that. I hope that with some time and training that we can work her up to a 9mm. It is also difficult for her to carry because she works on a college campus. She is very supportive of my gun and shooting hobby too, which is always nice. Happy spouse, happy house goes both ways!

4 Likes

I voted is OK with firearms, but doesn’t shoot. This is actually a temporary answer as last week i finally convinced my wife to get a handgun! Walker PK380, she saw them available in purple (her favorite color) and couldn’t help herself. Unfortunately she keeps eyeballing carry purses, any suggestions on how to convince her that off body carry isn’t the way to go without killing her newfound enthusiasm for firearms?

4 Likes

I would say one step at a time. Let her get use to the new gun and enjoy shooting it. Any carry is better than no carry. Slowly show her articles that show your point of view. But always remember it about the shoes (or in this case the purse).
:wink:

2 Likes

Awhile ago I commented on this thread:

I am very against purse carry. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

2 Likes

@Spence if her interest is piqued by the girly side of firearms, how about a Carry Corset? :smiley:
Dene Adams has them in a BUNCH of colors and styles from camo to lacy to black. I personally like the Carry Tank which is like an underbust style corset with the high back. Don’t know what her figure is, but I’m not a little gal and I’m pretty short waisted, so things like a belly band holster just feel clunky and ride up out of place, but the Carry Tank works really well for me… I’m guessing someone slender or longer-bodied would find something to suit them just as well. Plus these things span the range of cute to sexy as well as being very well made and totally practical.

There’s also Carry Leggings… got a pair of these, LOVE them. These are not your average leggings - they are absolutely my around-the-house choice, and they’re built so they solidly support my Ruger P89 or full-sized Glock - I imagine they’d make a more concealable firearm absolutely vanish.
https://deneadams.com/collections/cc-phantom-leggings

If a woman-to-woman chat will help with understanding why a purse is a risky choice, I’m sure there are a couple of us here who’d love to chat with her. @Dawn @Kelly

5 Likes

Absolutely! Always happy to help! :star_struck:

3 Likes

I used to be very against off body carry @Kelly, and now I’m not. If someone always has their purse on them and is as mindful of their firearm in their purse as they would be on their body, I’m OK with it.

It’s not my first choice, but if it’s the only way someone can carry - and they do it right - I have no issue with it.

(May have something to do with me having to off body carry in a Proving Ground in 2017. It was incredibly convenient! And I was hyperaware of the where the gun was at all times - even though they made me carry a Glock :rofl:)

3 Likes

I can totally understand being mindful. I watch women put their purse on the ground, on the back of their chair, etc. It would be so easy to steal it. But my outlook on it, a purse is a target. Women are already seen as weaker targets. Purses=valuables. If someone holds a gun to me wanting my purse, I’m going to give it to them. Or, if the chance arises, I’m going to throw it and run the opposite direction. Or what if they run, grab and keep running? IMO, purses are the worst for a firearm.

6 Likes

Very valid points, @Kelly. This is very similar to the concealed/open carry discussion :slight_smile:

1 Like

Something to think about in regards to off body carry are what the laws are in your state. Massachusetts clearly states that any firearm that is not carried or under the control of the owner has to be stored securely either in a locked container or with a locking device.

The law and court rulings are extremely vague on what constitutes “under the control”. This even applies to the inside of the home, with the owner present. People have lost their LTC as a result of having a firearm in their bedroom out in the open, which was found as a result of the police being there for something else. Other penalties are fines and possible jail time.

A person here carrying off body in a purse, briefcase etc could find themselves in trouble if they became a victim of a crime by someone stealing it.

3 Likes

I’ll just add my unsolicited two cents here. While I am obviously not a lady, I feel that I can comment on off-body versus on-body. I feel that off-body is not a great way to carry a firearm. You are not in as direct control as you would be with on-body. The key to any use of a firearm is to maintain control of the gun. One of the common reasons I have heard in favor of off-body carry is that on-body just doesn’t work for someone’s dress or build. I totally understand that everyone is built differently, and we all have different ways that we like to dress. My question is “What is more important to you? Your fashion, or the control and safety of your firearm?”. For example, I am a large man, and I really hate buying pants that are even bigger in the waist than I normally wear, but I have to do it so that I can comfortably carry IWB. I guess it all comes down to priorities.

4 Likes

@Kerryman71 that’s interesting to hear. Never thought about that before.

@Nathan absolutely! I agree. Everyone has a different body type. You just have to find what works for you. Once upon a time I had to get dolled up for work. I still carried. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to one time when we got dressed up for a wedding cause I didnt invest in a garter belt style holster. Point being, there are plenty of ways to conceal. Like you mentioned, a size up waist band. Carrying isn’t always comfortable, its comforting.

3 Likes

I completely get what you all are saying and agree that it all needs to be considered. But I also know for some, it may be their only option. And like carrying a .380, I’m going to support that person in their carry journey until they’re prepared to take the next step.

7 Likes

We have discovered that shooting is one of our couples things we do together. She’s actually a better shot than I am too. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Definitely agree with you on this. With that said you can still be fashionable and carry on body within reason. Did I have to change how I dress in order to carry? Yes, to a slight degree. Over all I am still able to use 98% of my wardrobe I had prior to carrying. It’s all a matter of whether you want to or not.

4 Likes

Actually my SO convinced me to get my permit and carry. Not that I was against it just didn’t see the need. Partly due to the fact of my ex that I was with for 17 years that was deathly afraid of firearms in general.

5 Likes

@Lacy - I am glad to hear that you are able to make your wardrobe work with your concealed carry set up. There are more and more options coming out to market all the time for those of us that choose to carry. I am also glad that you are with someone who is encouraging you in your efforts to carry concealed.

5 Likes

My wife is up in the air bot against it and not for it. She thinks it’s just a replacement hobby because I gave up motorcycle riding and semi pro football and it’s just a waste of money because it will pass in time. She was 100% against it when I started Shooting more often back in 2014 but this year she asked to go for her birthday and she finally gave me real feedback on the experience from the range we were at to the sound the recoil and other things. Most importantly she told me that my G17 & G19 were good for her as far as size and power the negative was the double stack grip size and mag. She shoot a single stack S&W .22 and the grip was perfect but it had no power. Her EXACT WORDS WERE put your guns bang in this baby and I’m shooting all your ammo. We bought her Kahr Arms CW9 in April 2019 and it’s been to the range once. I just don’t think she is going to really be interested in firearms.

2 Likes

@ZOOMBATT there are some excellent women’s groups for shooting… you might see if there are any near you. Sometimes women do better if they start in the company of other women. If shes got a friend who might go with her, or getting her to go by herself to a ladies night with The Well Armed Woman or A Girl And A Gun groups, or an NRA Women On Target might be just the thing to kickstart her interest.

2 Likes

She has someone that tries to take her but when the time comes she makes excuses. A Girl And A Girl uses our gun club

2 Likes