How do you travel with your firearm for the holidays?

This Wednesday is one of the busiest travel days of the year!

My son came home this last weekend and was stuck at a standstill for an hour. He was safe and had great conversations with the truck drivers around him. :wink: Heā€™s only 19 and cannot carry, but because of what I do, heā€™s very aware that all states donā€™t have the same laws.

One thing I highly recommend before you leave for your holiday trip - even if itā€™s just two hours away to grandmaā€™s house - check your state carry laws one more time.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/

Be smart and think ahead about possible wine with dinner or that after-dinner drink - will you be staying where you are and not drinking or locking up your firearm? Making good choices about your holiday travel can save you from a lot worse than the crowded roads on Black Friday.

What do you always take with you when you travel for the holidays?

4 Likes

Extra ammo, extra magazines, extra knives, and something I can secure them all in.

3 Likes

Agreed with @45IPAC

But also have the reciprocity map on deck!

2 Likes

Starting Oregon, going to and or through Nevada, Idaho, Utah, Arizona, Wyoming maybeā€¦

Oregon Resident and Utah non-resident permits.

2 Likes

I wrap mine in candy cane ribbon and put red and green bows on my magazine base plates :grin::grin:

Seriously, no changes at all. Everything just the way I train.

4 Likes

@Dawn is absolutely correct. Check the reciprocity map. Is there constitutional carry? Is your permit recognized? Are there mag capacity limits? Does your CCL cover knives/pepper/taser/baton/kubaton? Are there bullet restrictions (NJ)? Do no weapon signs have the force of law? Are any of the weapons you have prohibited (a truck/trunk gun)? And you need to know this for every state you pass through and, for some states, political subdivisions.
Ignorance of the law is NOT a defense!

3 Likes

^^^ that.
Which means get-home bag, auto supplies, survival gear so I could sleep warm in my truck if I needed to even in horrible weather, emergency equipment, food, water, coffee. and of course, my EDC and ammo.

3 Likes

Well, I guess I didnā€™t answer the question before. I donā€™t change a thing, except maybe magazine capacity and ammo depending on the locale. No changes in my normal travel areas.

2 Likes

Same, with the exception of GHB for my wifeā€™s carā€¦she refuses to travel with a bag around town, so when we hit the road in her car I have to toss one into her van along with the car gun storage from my truck just in case for some reason we actually have to stop in IL, vs just driving through.

3 Likes

True that!

Thatā€™s one reason Iā€™m in love with studying lawā€¦

You can never say, ā€œI didnā€™t knowā€ and that make it excusable.

2 Likes

Of course, where Iā€™m eating dinner on thanksgiving, is about 450 yards from where I hunt for deer. They know if Iā€™m there, a gun is too.

3 Likes