Transporting guns across country

Has anyone moved across country and brought your guns with you? How did you transport them and your ammo please?

1 Like

@paul228 - welcome to the community.

I didn’t move across the country, but I drove from Florida to Minnesota with guns and back again (twice). The first time, I did no preparatory research and subsequently learned that, had we been stopped in Illinois, I would have been in violation of a couple of laws regarding the safe transport of firearms. The second trip, we avoided Illinois entirely.

Check the Reciprocity Map for good information on the various gun laws.

6 Likes

3 Likes

Hi @Paul228 ! Welcome to the community.

As @OldGnome said, plan your route snd check out the reciprocity information on USCCA. In some cases, you may want to see if bypassing certain areas might be more beneficial in the long run.

2 Likes

The first question I’d like to ask - Do you want to TRANSPORT (not accessible) or CARRY (accessible all the time) the firearm and ammo?

3 Likes

Thanks Gnome, I had misplaced that map which you posted, that one’s dynamic in that it allows one to “plug in” the multiple states if one has more than one state they are licensed in. I now have found two such maps/websites, including the one I attached below my friend:

Perhaps those who fly can shed additional light, but I had read that some airlines prefer if one travels with ammo, that we place our ammo into its original box(es), so I have saved all of my boxes, until I completely run out of that particular ammo.

2 Likes

@Paul228 Welcome to the community! We are glad to have you! The process I follow in which I recommend to all…in addition to the great tools offered by @USCCA, it is imperative that contact each state police agency and personally verify proper transport procedures of both firearms and magazines. You should also verify magazine capacity and ammo restrictions. There is no such thing as above and beyond when is comes to freedom or possible confiscation and/or jail time.

4 Likes

Just stay away from California !

3 Likes

@Todd30 I’ve vacationed in San Fransico and the surrounding area, L.A. and surrounding as well as San Diego. I refuse to spend another dime in that state!

4 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @Paul228 and you are in the right place at the right time.

2 Likes

I’m not sure… :grimacing:
Or perhaps his Internet has been down for two days… :thinking:

1 Like