Road Trip with Handgun

I have a valid VA conceal carry permit and I am planning a road trip from Virginia to Denver, Co. My trip has us travelling through Illinois who don’t recognize my permit. Can I legally travel through Illinois without stopping with my handgun? Is there a legal way to do this?

3 Likes

As long as you are in your vehicle, you are fine. If you stop, and get out, you need to leave the firearm in the vehicle. My advise, stop just before the Illinois/Indiana state line. Eat, get gas(way cheaper in Indiana), then continue on. It doesn’t take that long to drive east to west across Illinois.

5 Likes

Welcome to the Community! Here are a couple of resources that might help, @MrGecko:
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/traveling-with-firearms/
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/traveling-with-firearms/private-vehicles/
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/?link=LearnTravelingFirearms_Top_Text_Map
I’d also suggest downloading the USCCA Map as it has our Reciprocity Map (which is always being updated with the latest laws) and will notify you (with the right settings) when you cross state lines.

Have a safe trip! Let us know how it goes!!

3 Likes

Just got off the phone with DNR. Unloaded, cased, and out of reach is OK.

Be safe!!!

4 Likes

Yes, you can travel interstate with a firearm under the Firearms Owners’ Protection Act (FOPA).

3 Likes

Another problem may be your destination if VA doesn’t have reciprocity with CO.

1 Like

Every state from VA to and including CO recognize my VA permit except Illinois. Yet, my driver’s license is recognized by all states and driving is a privilege and not a 2nd Amendment right!

7 Likes

I suggest you bring a copy with you and you can discuss it over a bologna sandwich with a LEO.

@MrGecko welcome to the community and team! We are glad to have you! I commute to and from IL regularly. Non-resident are allowed to carry concealed while in your own vehicle as long as you have a valid permit from your home state. You are allowed to exit concealed to place your firearm in the trunk.

3 Likes

I stand corrected!

1 Like

I have found gas at lower cost in Indiana, compared to some spots in IL. Yes, your pass through at the southern end of IL would be shorter than other areas of the state.

The others here know more than I, especially about if you are a CCW permit holder from another state. What was not clear to me, as yet, is if you can keep a loaded firearm on your person while in your vehicle, Vs if you have to stow it away, unloaded. Perhaps the other attached readings answered that question.

This attached brochure is from December, 2019, but I regret it might not be all that helpful. Mind you, this brochure seems meant for the Illinoisan who does not own a CCW permit. Safe travels.

Transport of Arm in IL.pdf (1.7 MB)

1 Like

@Burdo in August of 2018 the Illinois State Police published a bulletin specifically addressing out of state permit holders. Here is an excerpt…

What is a “concealed firearm”?

430 ILCS 66/5 - “Concealed firearm” means a loaded or unloaded handgun carried on or about a person completely or mostly concealed from view of the public or on or about a person within a vehicle.

1 Like

I found that brochure and got a headache reading it. I tried the number for ISP which has been disconnected. DNR was non committal on the subject! @Marrio seems to have nailed it!

1 Like

Here’s the August 2018 bulletin…

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Constitutional_Carry_August_2018.pdf

1 Like

@George98 I think that brochure was written in mandarin! :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Whatever you’re carrying it must be stored a box or in the trunk, separated from ammo and out of your reach while driving.
You can’t have it loaded next to you.

2 Likes

@Jesse according to the August 2018 bulletin, ISP states…

“Within a vehicle – Out of state residents can carry a concealed firearm in their vehicles as they travel through Illinois so long as they meet the provisions of §40(e) of the Act.”

Is there an unpublished update?

4 Likes

Yes, it’s called “Police Lack Of Knowledge”.
Most Police I know or spoken to have no idea of CCW laws.

Incorrect. In the state of Illinois, a CCW licensed holder from another state CAN carry inside their vehicle while traveling through Illinois. If the exit the vehicle, the firearm must me secured in an enclosed, locked container. They can , get out and store it in the trunk in they desire. Upon returning to the vehicle for travel, they can retrieve said handgun, and continue on their travels.

5 Likes

Assuming Chicago Police know the laws of CCW. Good luck with that one!

1 Like