New Shooter Monday: Transporting Your Firearm

One question that inevitably gets asked by every person who is new to firearms is, “Can I carry my gun in my car?” However, a lot of the time they mean, “Can I transport my gun in my car?”

If you’ve just purchased your firearm and do not have a concealed carry permit or live in a Constitutional Carry state, you CAN transport your firearm in your car, IF you do it correctly.

Every state has different carry laws, but transporting your firearm doesn’t mean you’re necessarily “carrying” it, you’re transporting it.

If you’re taking your firearm across state lines, be sure to know the laws of the states you’re traveling through and the laws around traveling through those states with your firearms.

To find out about individual state laws, please review the state-specific laws on the USCCA Reciprocity Map. [LINK] and to learn about how to travel with your firearm across state lines in a private vehicle, check out this page: https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/traveling-with-firearms/private-vehicles/?link=LearnTravelingFirearms_MainRow1_Text_PrivateVehicles

What does your state say about transporting a firearm without a permit?

1 Like

Unloaded, and in a lockable case. Unloaded meaning no ammunition physically in the firearm. A loaded mag/speed loader right next to it is legal. A lockable case meaning anything from a center console, to a gun case, to a zippered shaving bag.

4 Likes

In Illinois there are three statutory codes that regulate the possession and transportation of firearms:

• the Criminal Code
  • the Wildlife Code
  • the Firearm Owner’s Identification Act.

All these above state this:

Persons who have been issued a valid FOID card may transport a firearm anywhere in their
vehicle or on their person as long as the firearm is unloaded and enclosed in a case, firearm carrying
box, shipping box, or other container. Firearms cannot be immediately accessible or has to be broken down into a non-functioning state.

4 Likes

This is for the state of VA. where I reside. CARRY IN VEHICLE?

Can you carry a concealed handgun in a vehicle in Virginia? Yes, with a permit. Handguns may be transported in a vehicle without a permit if secured in a container or compartment including a console, glove compartment or any other area of the vehicle or vessel that possesses the ability to be closed.

[Va. Code Ann. § 18.2-308]

3 Likes

Arizona is now a Constitutional Carry State so people are good to go here. Though if I am not carrying my firearm for whatever reason I usually keep it in a locked case secured by a cable to the vehicle. Don’t want to make it easy for a smash and grab criminal to get their hands on a firearm.

4 Likes

Can you carry a concealed handgun in a vehicle in Michigan?

Yes, handguns only may be carried with a valid concealed pistol license. Without a license, handguns must be unloaded and in a closed case designed for the storage of firearms either in the trunk of the vehicle or for vehicles without a trunk, not readily accessible to the occupants of the vehicle.

[Mich. Penal Code §§ 750.227(2) and 750.231a(1)(a)]

1 Like

Happy birthday @Paul008 and God bless you brother.

1 Like

@Johnnyq60 Thank you Sir! May the light reign for you as well.

1 Like

Mississippi considers your automobile an extension of your home. We are a constitutional carry state anyway but there is absolutely no restrictions on where or how you can carry a loaded or unloaded firearm in your vehicle. On your person it has to be in a holster or sheath (no “Mexican carry” like tucked into your belt or pants) but this only applies if you are asked to step out of your vehicle.

1 Like

Happy Birthday @Paul008

2 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like