Traveling to Indiana through Maryland and Pennsylvania

I live in Virginia and in a few days I will be making a trip to Indiana. Both Indiana and Ohio honor my concealed cary permit, however I have to travel through the peoples republic of Maryland and the state of Pennsylvania. Both of these states do not recognize my permit. When passing through these states I plan to unload my EDC and lock in in a strong box I purchased for this purpose. I will lock the magazine in separate strong box along with my spare magazines and a small supply of my defensive ammunition. I plan to lock both boxes in the trunk of my car until I reach Ohio, where I can legally carry. I want to make sure that I haven’t missed some provision of the FOPA and am transporting my firearm legally through these states. I can think of no better place to pose this question than in this forum. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

3 Likes

I think the ammo and guns have to be in different areas of the vehicle…

3 Likes

I pretty sure @Danny28 has a point. I do think they have to be in separate areas.

Not 100 percent and I’m not a lawyer. But it wouldn’t hurt to put them in two different spots.

1 Like

Personally, I would reroute trip via Florida and stay away from communist states! IMHO

3 Likes

Check on the USCCA reciprocity maps and laws. Check the state of Maryland and see how you can transport your firearm. Read everything about the state laws, magazines, ammo etc.

3 Likes

Just avoid Maryland if it’s an option?

3 Likes

Compliance with 18 USC 926A, which addresses the interstate transport of firearms, does not necessarily mean that the Peoples Republic of Maryland will not hassle someone transporting a firearm, in the unlikely event of a stop and search of the vehicle. I checked the maps and rerouting to avoid both Maryland and Pennsylvania adds about 30 minutes to the trip. Thirty extra minutes to reduce the chances of a hassle from small to none is a no brainer and this is what I am going to do. Thanks to the community for some great advice.

5 Likes

@Boyd Another Virginian here. MD has been known for targeting Virginian vehicles. I wouldn’t rely on 18 USC 926A. See what happens when you refuse consent to search. Best to avoid those murky waters. We live in America but can’t even exercise our 2A rights because of state lines. Amazing!

2 Likes

Great option! And 30 minutes of additional travel, so you can be safe physically and legally, is a fair trade.

2 Likes

This is a sickening topic Boyd. I also live in VA and regularly travel through MD, DE, and PA. It’s a disgrace how our constitutional rights are being trampled. As someone stated in post already… I have pulled state laws for each of the aforementioned and they’re not real clear.

Personally, and that’s all this is…I’d keep your gun(s) unloaded, locked in separate containers, and then do the same with any ammunition you may have with you. Then have the locked guns in an area separate from the locked ammunition.

This is an area where I really wish USCCA would provide some legal guidance other than “check your state and local laws”. Most of us are not attorneys and even then attorneys disagree due to vague laws and interpretation.

Then there’s the issue of carrying non-lethal forms of protection; where’s the guidance on this? We’re going though a turbulent time in America and something we haven’t seen in the past. How do law-abiding citizens protect themselves when traveling?

USCCA - would you please weigh in on this at some point in near future?

Remember folks: USCCA only covers incidents that involve “legal” weapons, so that’s a huge loophole for them. You might not get help if you’re unknowingly carrying something illegal in a given jurisdiction - even a pocket knife can land you in jail without representation. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

1 Like

I also liked what Walter 3 shared. Safe travels.

If this map linked below is accurate, it’s unique in that it allows one to click every state you are CCL in, not just one, and it maps out which ones you have reciprocity in, not just by clicking your CCL state in one at a time, but 2-3 at a time, however many you are licensed in.

Of course, check it out by reviewing other documents, to confirm, especially since some reciprocity states only have partial reciprocity and not full reciprocity:

1 Like