Illinois resident, firearm transportation

Asking question for a good elderly friend that has the mis-fortune of residing in the state of Illinois. His question to me this morning was “a gun range” friend said that non- CCW residents (has FOID card) cannot transport loaded magazines in their vehicle. I.E. to the range etc.
I looked @ USCCA Illinois summery of firearm laws and I only saw an entry for non-residents with a valid CCW about transportation of firearms & gear. What say you USCCA & members?

3 Likes

According to State of Illinois, Illinois Department of Natural Resources

Three statutory codes regulate the possession, transfer, and transportation of firearms – the Criminal
Code, the Wildlife Code, and the Firearm Owner’s Identification Act.

Under Unlawful Use of Weapons (UUW) in the Criminal Code, persons who have been issued a valid
FOID card may transport a firearm anywhere in their vehicle or on their person as long as the firearm is
unloaded and enclosed in a case, firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container. Firearms that
are not immediately accessible or are broken down in a non-functioning state may also be carried or transported under the Criminal Code.
The Wildlife Code, however, is more restrictive. It requires that all firearms transported in or on any vehicle or conveyance be unloaded and in a case. Because of this, it is recommended that, in order to be in compliance
with all statutes, all firearms be transported:

1. Unloaded, and
  2. Enclosed in a case, and
  3. By persons who have a valid FOID card.

:point_down:
My Firearm Instructor’s additional advice (before I’ve got CCL) - keep ammo in the box, not in magazine.

3 Likes

Way to go the extra mile brother @Jerzees and you are the man, thanks. :+1::+1:

1 Like

@Jerzees thanks for your reply. Question is, is it illegal to have a magazine with ammo in magazine in your vehicle?
You spent some time at the range, you throw your gear in the trunk, a partially loaded mag gets left behind in trunk after you take out your gear. Would a Illinois resident with FOID card and no CCW/ CCL be in violation?

1 Like

This is a million dollars question !
The Law says only… the firearm has to be NON operational.
I personally didn’t keep ammo in mags. I kept handgun in factory box in range bag, magazines in bag’s pockets and ammo in my trunk.
NEVER HAD ANY ISSUE during traffic stops.

I don’t like to risk that LEO may interpret the Law differently. Whatever seems non operational for me, doesn’t need to be non operational for someone else…
And because I’ve been always listening wise people… I’m following their advices…

keep ammo in the box, not in magazine

3 Likes

^^^ What @Jerzees said! I was copying and pasting that section until I read through the responses and he’d beaten me to it! :0

3 Likes

I attached some dry reading material below, in case such reference points helpful. Your friend also has some friends here in IL. :grinning:

Transport of Arm in IL.pdf (1.7 MB) CCL LAW OF IL 098-0063.pdf (318.0 KB) GUN LASW 2018 OLD illinois_state_laws_final_3-11-19_002.pdf (1.6 MB) IL CCL BOOK 14 Concealed Carry v4.pdf (1.5 MB)

1 Like

@Burdo… to be honest, you made this more complicated as it was… :zipper_mouth_face:

Simple question: IL resident with FOID , without CCL - simple answer -> YES he can, under conditions written by State of IL (already posted) which are not so clear, and we don’t recommend keeping loaded mags.

1 Like