Reciprocity - Does it Change Your Travel Plans?

When you carry, there are a lot of things you have to keep in mind. When you travel with your firearm, you get to learn all sorts of new laws! (Slight sarcasm there. :wink: )

Here’s our VERY handy reciprocity map. It’s kept up-to-date with the latest laws:
https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map/

Does concealed carry reciprocity change your travel plans?

5 Likes

Reciprocity does not generally change my travel route but it may change what weapon(s) I carry as well as the extras. For instance, my trip a couple weeks ago to IL kept my auto knife at home and a similar sized folding knife in my pocket. I also pulled my range bag and ammo can out of the trunk so it didn’t appear as if I was getting ready for war with many magazines and lots of ball ammo.

I should add that the USCCA Reciprocity map was the starting point of my research.

2 Likes

No but it does mean sometimes I have to bring extra safes and separate mags and ammo from the firearms. And it means stopping before the state lines/ after entering a new state.

1 Like

We just mixed a possible trip because it would have taken us into Illinois. Don’t want to risk it without pressing need.

3 Likes

When driving absolutely. I fly as little as possible.
My parents live in Michigan and I have no problem adding an hour or two to a drive to go around Illinois and Chicago

2 Likes

My travel plans do not necessarily change because of reciprocity. What I have with me or how I handle them do.

2 Likes

Well, I’m in Illinois, so everywhere I travel honors my ccw license. I do carry extra mags and boxes of ammo the farther I travel. I do check the exact laws for where ever I’m traveling. My main focus is if the No Gun Signs are enforceable by law or not. Illinois they are, neighboring states are not.

1 Like

Yes it most certainly does! I may pass through a State that does not have reciprocity, however I will do what I can to spend no money there at all. We really would love to see the Oregon coast; instead we are going to do Washington for instance. If I know this is going to be the case, I also pack extra lock boxes and locks.

1 Like

Even with HR 218 I predicate where I go and what I take based on local laws. For an example, Hawaii. Federal law allows me to carry concealed there but Hawaiian State Law demands I register with local police if I’m in Hawaii longer than 3 days. Who goes to Hawaii for just three days? I don’t bother to carry in Hawaii. Only go there once a year to my timeshare. I wont go to New York or NJ or MA just due to general principles. I travel with a less expensive weapon If I fly due to theft possibility. Hanging out with the Good Old Boys in TN for a week coming up. Best believe I’ll be packing. Gotta fit in.

2 Likes

The short answer is YES. It is why I dont travel through Minnesota nor will I visit the three west coast states. I am covered everyplace else west of the Mississippi that I would travel to.

As far as the east coast? If I travel in that direction I might have to make a detour or three depending on where I wanted to go.

3 Likes

Yes, I won’t travel to any state I cannot legally carry in.

National reciprocity needs to happen, we have ample precedent for it and there is no sound legal or constitutional argument against it.

5 Likes

Traveling to the Philadelphia area next week. The selected route from Louisville will cross KY, OH, WV and PA. The only thing special to know is that OH is a duty to inform state. This is a regular route but yes, I did take a quick look at USCCA’s reciprocity map to confirm there have not been any significant changes.

5 Likes

I check the reciprocity map any time I consider leaving the state. Then I go to to the particular state’s website and study their specific laws concerning the use of deadly for for self defense and CC rules. Even between gun friendly states the rules can vary significantly.

Regards.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

1 Like

Yes, it does. I won’t go to a state that does not have reciprocity with my CC.

3 Likes

Yes, my plans are affected by which states I can carry in. My wife loves to travel and she wants to see all the states. Every year we go someplace and I will not go to California, Oregon or Washington on the west coast and a bunch on the east side also. There are plenty of other places to go to. One obstacle is Illinois, and Colorado which I go around if I have to or make sure I am fueled up and just shoot across. I don’t want to spend any money in a State that doesn’t want me.

She is pushing to see Yosemite and other parks in California. I am thinking of doing it in day trips from Nevada. I would spend my money there and just go to California for the day. It does involve more driving, but I like to drive. I may break down and just do it as quickly as I can. I did drive into California from Vegas and we toured Death Valley area, so you can see parts of a state without spending any money in it.

Even if I am not planning on having a firearm with me, I don’t want to give other States my money if I don’t have to. So, we have been traveling to friendly states. California and Washington wines are very nice, but I have found some wines from France, Argentina, Spain, Chili and other places that don’t cost any more than California wine. Sometimes the wine is pretty poor but some are good. She thinks I am nuts, and maybe I am being a little childish, but I spend my money that way when ever I can get away with it. I have heard that as you get older you revert to childhood anyway, so this childish trait I have is OK with me.

3 Likes

A trip from Washington state to Arizona avoiding California all together. Coordinate each state and there requirements and travel accordingly. Have guns will travel. It is fun to experience the different ranges around our great nation and see what they have to offer.

1 Like

Well, what do I do?
We have just been invited to a wedding of one of our most favorite nephews in a place called Augusta, New Jersey.

If I’m not correct, but my concealed carry / open carry is no good there. Not only that, if I cross into their fine state I could get arrested and go to jail for a long time if I have any firearms/handguns/long guns/ etc etc in my vehicle?

Once again, what do I do? Is New Jersey a super friendly crime free state like Wyoming?

1 Like

New Jersey is NOT a “super friendly, crime free state” by any means. I have a relative serving 6 years for armed robbery on the boardwalk in Sea Isle City.
New Jersey does not recognize permits from any other state and is not an open carry state. If your destination is NJ, then you are right, transporting a firearm in to the state is illegal. And hollow point ammunition is fined at $1,000 per round. It can only be used by police or in your home or business and transported from the store to your home or business.

2 Likes

Yep, I didn’t know about the HP rounds, but figured if I even had a half used bottle of Toppers in the car we could all go to prison.

So, I told the wife I’m not going, and she countered with, “Well, we’re going” So I guess I’m going as I can’t let them go without some sort of protection. So I guess it will be my roll of quarters in my pocket for self defense.

What else can I carry to defend my family?

The next question, we’re probably going to fly in, YUCK! I hate flying, I’m not just saying that either, I HATE FLYING. Even before the Wuhan Flu I hated flying. If we drive, where do I dump my firearms before we cross into the DMZ? A gun store, a small cache on the side of the road, rent a car and park it in a parking lot outside the DMZ and put the firearms in there?

What do I do with our self defense items while in that state?

1 Like

I’m sorry but there is not a good answer. Where would you fly in? Newark for northern section of state or Philly for southern section are most common. If you actually fly in to NJ, you could be arrested either when you land and will be arrested when you leave if you are traveling with a firearm.
Tasers and pepper are both legal. Pocket knives are ok but a “gravity knife, switchblade knife, dagger, dirk, stiletto, dangerous knife or ballistic knife” are prohibited “without any explainable lawful purpose.”
If you are driving and you have the weapon packed pursuant to the federal transportation guidelines in a locked contain in the trunk, you minimize but do not eliminate the risk of being locked up. I cannot recommend carrying anything illegal in the state but I know someone who traveled there not to long ago and had his JHP projectiles in an opaque container under the spare tire in the trunk.