How do you train without ammo at home and in the classroom?

I would like a sirt pistol, but they don’t make one for my gun.

1 Like

I’ve been using, and enjoying , the ASG Airsoft 6mm air soft pistols at home. Basement and garage targets. The CZ SP-01 Accu Special Edition, CZ-Shadow 2, and the CZ SP-01. Waiting for the store to get my STI Combat Master. Any of these pistols are cheaper than any of the SIRT pistols. They function, and disassemble exactly like the genuine pistols, and the blow back designs are as close to duplicating the real functions as you can get. You can get get 1,000 plastic BB’s for dirt, the magazines are a challenge loading but worth the time and effort. Plus, they’re fun to shoot. I think, IDEAL for new shooters, someone who has never shot any hand gun. Be careful!! These things are not toys!! djs

2 Likes

Depends on model and accessories, but you are looking into $350 min.
With all accessories needed to practice with laser - close to $500

1 Like

After the last ammo shortage, I made a habit of buying a little more ammo than I shoot each time and stocking up each year at the Sportmans Show. I have enough FMJ to go to the range and run 50 rounds every other month for a few years. I’d like to do more, but by rationing, and dry fire with snap caps, I’m at least maintaining.

2 Likes

I have gone back to fully reloading. There is nothing like live fire training. I just can’t get into the other ways. I have worked up a load for my Thompson 1927 A1 that it eats like candy and fully functions in all my .45s. Both duty and CCW.

2 Likes

True point, Jerzy. USCCA’s surveys leave obvious opportunities for significant improvement. If I may slip stream you, among my points of response are these: (1) Shame on you if you’re short on ammo for serious live fire training and practice. Serious bad planning. Likely the result of normal bias. (2) Don’t touch your “duty” ammo. (3) Ration your range ammo so that you can put, say, 6 rounds or less into paper every week at the range, and then go home and visualize your session. Visualization is hugely productive. It’s what top performers do to improve their skills - athletes, musicians, surgeons, door kickers and face shooters, among others. Your most important round at a target (a threat) is the first round. You’re not benefitting much in live fire practice after the first few rounds.

1 Like

Welcome all the first time posters!
Regarding training during ammo storage.
1: If you were diligent BEFORE the shortage, regular training won’t be a problem, lol.
2: If you did not stock up prior and want to conserve ammo, I’m a fan of dry-fire/laser and Airsoft.

3: Although, my favorite training with an ammo shortage is simply, find someone who has a very large supply stock of ammo. Befriend them, take them to a range and ask a lot of questions. It makes them feel like they are helping and you too use their ammo…

(Disclaimer: 3 is for everyone to laugh at… not shoot down my comment with vitriol… :wink::+1:t2:)

2 Likes

I have iTargetPro but have been really lazy at using it. In this day and age I need to start training a lot more.

1 Like

Put the Mantis X on your Sirt and utilize both. BAMMM! Better shooting on the way!!!

2 Likes

Laser training with a deck of Dry Fire Training Cards from dryfiretrainingcards.com. Also using the dot turture targets with laser cartridge. And once a month to the range to maintain recoil control and return to target accruacy.

1 Like

I like the A-ZOOM snap caps the best. They are of solid metal quality, with a glossy coating, so I don’t have to worry about them cracking like some plastic ones, and I have never had any feed issues. They are entirely a dark maroon color, while many others are only colored at the tip, with a brass or steel case. This way I will never confuse them for a live round, or vice-versa, even during a press check where I can only see the case.

I use them primarily with a semi-automatic 9mm at the moment. They are excellent for loading drills, and practicing drawing from concealment. They will not cycle the action, so after each trigger pull you have to manually rack the slide to chamber a new round and ready the striker (XD mod 2).

They are also great for training new shooters. They can safely simulate feed malfunctions, as well as duds. While the feed malfunction must be directly staged, they can be loaded in the magazine along with live ammunition to simulate a hangfire or dud. I also sometimes use this tactic when a shooter is anticipating the recoil and that is messing up their shots, but they refuse to acknowledge my observations. The look on their face when the gun doesn’t go off, but they’re shaking it all over the place is priceless. HOWEVER, I always make sure to quietly inform the range safety officer when I have loaded a live magazine with a snap cap, as safety is always the top priority.

1 Like

Good idea @Todd30 . :muscle:

Let us know if this combination gets 100 score at MantisX app.

1 Like

Not yet!

2 Likes

Conserve ammo, train in reality as possible. I order as possible. Recently ordered 40 rounds personal protection at Federal. So I can go to range and fire some training rounds I had.

1 Like

We use air guns same models we carry its really great and cheap

1 Like

I’ve heard a lot of good things about Mantis. My firearms instructor recommends it.

2 Likes

I use an airsoft pistol that is powered with Green Gas. It is a replica on my EDC and is useful for presentation, trigger finger discipline, trigger press, mag changes and target identification. The pellets are $6 per 2000 and the gas is not too expensive. The size and weight are natural feeling. It cost about $250, but at current prices, it will pay for itself as well as no trip to the range is required.

1 Like

I have been using MantisX with good results.

2 Likes

I train with a Sig Sauer 1911 CO2 BB pistol and a pellet rifle during this ammo shortage

1 Like

Airsoft. There’s a airsoft model for most edc’s. Clients love it! Very economical as well.

2 Likes