How do you train without ammo at home and in the classroom?

The range closest to me has a TI Training simulator which is free to ladies once a week on Ladies night. It’s really fun , uses SIRT-ish pistols, and is good for some discernment training.

1 Like

I bought a little crossbow from wish download it you put bamboo sticks in there on my wall is a round target it helps eye sight trust

1 Like

I use snap caps in my Sig p938 with a crimson trace laser.

1 Like

laser training round and Mantis.

2 Likes

Visualization. Of a plausible situation that I am likely to be in.

If you pull the trigger and get a “click” then you should be recognizing that you need to tap-rack to clear a malfunction. Once you have trained this response to that stimulus to automaticity you can’t just turn it off because we don’t have ammo.

I dry practice grip, draw, extension, but stop before the trigger pull. Pulling the trigger without realistic recoil conditions you to do things that aren’t consistent with a real-life. If a large percentage of real-life defensive encounters with a firearm end without a shot fired then we need to be practicing this way anyway.

2 Likes

A replica Airsoft, BB and/or Pellet gun if possible or something close preferably with spare magazines. These still go pling, pling if you are missin’ that sweet noise.

Laser training with virtual targets just the same. We use the Shootoff program for this with a laptop and projector. Very neat!

2 Likes

Personally, I like the iTarget Pro set. It goes for about $100, and you just drop the laser bullet into your personal weapon . If you have multiple weapons with the same caliber, you can train with those as well at no additional cost or extra equipment.

I run a 1" drill that requires you to place 10 consecutive shots into one 1" hole from 3 yards. Once you have accomplished that you back up two yards and repeat. I haven’t completed 7 yards yet, but I’m close. It makes you focus on trigger control, grip mechanics, and sight alignment. Everything you would expect from dryfire training with the added benefit of instant feedback.

3 Likes

Dryfire with Mantis program

1 Like

Got a “full size” air pistol. Aim, trigger and trigger control are consistent with a real pistol. I am able to see the front sight movement better as there is not really any recoil. 6mm BBs are REALLY CHEAP.

3 Likes

I checked other. I simply steal ammo from my friends when they aren’t looking. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

1 Like

I have the Mantis X, Mantis 10X Elite and the Mantis Laster Academy. Yes, do get the Laser Academy. Also, there are dry fire magazines (though another company), and one that is integrated with the Mantis system. Not all pistol platforms are supported though with the dry fire magazines. I am an absolute advocate for the Mantis systems, and through the research I have done - a LOT - have found that the Mantis system to be superior on so many levels. A must for all range bags regardless of level/experience of shooter…

2 Likes

:joy:
Good to know… but your “stealing” habit has nothing to “train without the ammo”… :face_with_hand_over_mouth:…unless you shoot live ammo at home :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

Ummm…maybe?

1 Like

I use a target between 6 and 12 feet away using the ELMS (expert laser marksman system). I try to simulate real life situations as if someone is breaking into my home. I use my Glock 17. I also have snap caps that I would use if I am practicing my draw.

2 Likes

Travis 66, I also have an iTarget, I think you need to reset the Laser Offset, you had all of you shots in the 10 range and you scored a 59… the 10 shots being 10 points it should of read 100…, if you don’t have it, get the quick draw app.

2 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @Kevin108 and God bless you.

1 Like

Welcome to the family brother @Mark606 snd you are blessed to be here.

1 Like

G-Sight laser dry firing

2 Likes

If I could hit half of 18 shots it would be a very good session. I have a sw 642- terrible sights.

3 Likes

Laser training rounds for 9mm and .45 regularly. Still get to the range 2 times a month (pistols) and once a month for long guns, usually on my RSO shift day. Just fewer rounds and better, more specific training. Not bragging but before I retired I splurged on ammo weekly (OT) kinda saw this coming. Also put a lot more .22 down range now.

2 Likes