How do you train without ammo at home and in the classroom?

I’m open to all thoughts and advice so thanks for jumping in.
Are you saying a point of aim system is the direction to start with as well? The Mantis system shows movement but does not show accuracy where the point of aim will.

1 Like

I’ve being instructing for almost 2 years now.
I’m OK with POA systems. These are self instructing. You can diagnose your accuracy by your own.
Laser target and laser cartridge are the less complicated and easy to use tools.
But that’s it… no more “self service” for proper technique.

Live feedback and corrections from Instructor is a must for building proper shooting fundamentals. Once you get bad habit with any part of these, your whole technique will never be corrected by any fancy electronic tool.
Maybe I’m advocating “old school” right now… but it never failed me or any of my students.

I use these procedure:

1. class with Instructor → learn, collect as much information as possible
  2. dry fire at home → use all the knowledge and information from the class
  3. verify everything with your Instructor during the next class
  4. if all is good - proceed with next step of shooting techniques
  5. if errors found, ask Instructor for corrections and go back to 2.

old, easy peasy, but still the most effective learning method.

2 Likes

Anybody else have any updates and recommendations on any of the dry fire training platforms?

1 Like

Laser ammo’s smokeless range system. Love it

1 Like

Spiffy!

2 Likes

It’s quite an awesome system. I highly recommend it. I do dry fire training using a SIRT pistol and even sometimes using laser snap caps in my Taurus G2C. That same 9mm snap cap even fits in a shotgun adapter so I can practice my marksmanship for sporting clays and even upland bird hunting.

2 Likes

Just got done running Church Defense drills with my Mantis Blackbeard. My teammate used my Pink Rhino laser bullet on his DA/SA pistol. That was good, because it allowed for multiple shots without having to rack the slide.

Largely, we worked on moving into a room and engaging a target without shooting each other. If I’m going to be shot, I’d much rather get shot with a laser pointer than a bullet.

4 Likes

Fix bayonets! Charge!

3 Likes

I love such drills (rooms clearing) with airsoft handguns. At least I can feel the punishment not being careful enough. :neutral_face:

3 Likes

I would like to do that, but I don’t relish the thought of literally sweeping the church to clean up the airsoft pellets. I think it’s our next trial after the lasers. It wiould probably give us a better idea if we’re actually shooting each other.

3 Likes

Yeah, cleaning rooms from airsoft pellets is a pain. :neutral_face:
Vacuum cleaner helps a lot, especially when the pellets are biodegradable, so you don’t have to think about them anymore.

2 Likes

Leaf blowers into a funneled area?

4 Likes

Not the gas-powered leaf blower we have!

On the other hand, an airsoft shoothouse is more reusable than a live fire shoothouse!

3 Likes

Laser training with tracking. A friend and I play, Battleship. We both have the “Battleship” target so we made 2 Battleship targets and made the ships. You can actually have the right target chosen and still miss and not get credit because you missed your called target.

Plus about 50 draw’s daily and trigger pills.

1 Like

MantisX system and Laser Training…recently picked up the new BlackbeardX for the AR as well.
I’ve been pretty sporadic with it so far but it’s definitely worth it. I need to dedicate more time consistently with it I’ll have to admit.
I’ve used it with the Sig P320 and the Taurus G3 and its translated into better and more consistent hits on target at the range.
I have not used it Live Fire yet…but that’s next!

2 Likes