Home made holsters

Who else makes their own holsters? Currently wearing this one just for fun—it’s actually very comfortable and has good retention. My Harley Holster.

22 Likes

That is an awesome looking holster brother @Gary263

6 Likes

Thanks. I’ve made about a dozen holsters over the years. Mostly for myself, some for friends.

4 Likes

Pretty awesome, I don’t have the dexterity for that anymore!

But on the funnier side, I’ve been making mine for 150 years, come May!

Please don’t be offended, I truly appreciate an artisan!
If we don’t laugh at least once a day, we’re going to lose it!

11 Likes

Nice LEVI holster! :laughing:

6 Likes

Smart. You probably save a lot on costs compared to buying outright, I imagine.

4 Likes

You have that thing that Ma Nature gave me a Zero Dose of, Artistic Abilities. I love the simplicity. All of my holsters are leather, Muddy River Tactical.

6 Likes

Nice job. Does the extra leather piece with the skull help with retention, or just for detail? I’ve dabbled in making holsters also. this one is my favorite

Here’s a few of the others

Mags also

But I couldn’t stop there

13 Likes

Nice work. Happy to see another leatherworker here.

The extra piece of leather helps hold the holster open for easier gun return. Stops it from collapsing inwards.

6 Likes

A couple more…

10 Likes

Great topic. I’m starting down that road and like the inspiration here. I’ve been getting set up to make hybrid holsters; leather & kydex. The last piece is learning how to stitch the leather by hand and acquire the tools for that.

With every holster I’ve tried, there’s always one or more things I don’t like about it. But I can “fix” that if I make my own.

How do you treat the leather that goes against skin/clothing? I’m thinking especially of warmer days when sweat might be involved. How do you prevent the leather from staining clothing or skin?

4 Likes

Your stitch lines are so straight, are they done by hand? My shaky old hands couldn’t do that. I couldn’t punch the holes that straight of a line. Nice holsters

4 Likes

I use this punch set for the holes. Then, yes, they are sewn by hand. Heavy duty sewing machines are way out of my budget.

8 Likes

I don’t stain the inside of mine, and they usually go between my pants and my belt. yeah, I’ve searched for a holster that I like , nothing seemed just right , and leather holsters were out of my price range so I made my own. I bought my tools years ago from a friend that lost interest in leather working. Previously I’ve made moccasins , a quiver for my arrows, even a jacket all out of suede. I really enjoy leather working.

6 Likes

My hole punches are similar, but my lines don’t come out that straight. Very professional looking work

5 Likes

I generally don’t stain the back or inside the holsters but I do apply some lanolin leather dressing to smooth down the nap.

Great to hear you enjoy leatherwork as well. It’s very therapeutic for me and gives me an excuse to spend some quality time in the garage.

6 Likes

I Love that Black one. Simple and effective.

4 Likes

Thank you. It came out pretty good if I say so myself. Not always that successful—I’ve thrown out a couple over the years! :joy:

5 Likes

Keep up the good work @Eugene49 those are some nice looking holsters.

5 Likes

You do nice work. It’s classy

4 Likes