Holster Wear. Love it, Hate it?

I am a fan of honest wear on a firearm, especially a carry gun. Of course, some of the painted finishes on some 1911’s wear pretty fast, still looks good to me.

How about you? Love it, don’t care, or OMG, I need to get it refinished? :grinning:

A couple of my carry 1911’s, left is parkerized, right is Kimber’s painted finish.

1 Like

If its a carry gun I wont mind wear to much. But I like to take care of my pistols so I may get them redone even if I have to spend the money. I have some wear on my M&P PC 9mm Shield but I carry it sometimes along in my rotation.

Makes no difference to me on carry guns but I tend to carry guns with durable finishes, I have enough of them that no one of them spends an inordinate amount of time in a holster, and I’m not a huge Kydex user so my guns don’t look worn much.

2 Likes

When I see a gun with wear and tear on it I immediately assume they train. Same as blue jeans, you can buy them faded or fade them yourself, you’re only lying to yourself. So to answer the question I LOVE it and personally enjoy wearing the finish off a gun

5 Likes

Part of decision-making when buying a firearm includes asking, “does it look good?”

Now that it’s mine, “does it go bang when needed?”

Dings give it character but beauty is still there.

3 Likes

I am tempted to get my next 1911 in DLC, I have heard it is pretty tough. Might be a fun challenge… No kydex for me, just leather holsters, but I do a lot of dry practice.

1 Like

My SD/HD Glocks doesn’t bother me a bit. My competition guns and my “you spent how F@#$%€¥ much on that gun”. Those I mind.

2 Likes

I don’t see any holster wear on my EDC (I love my holster with inside soft leather liner). But due to my crazy dry fire practice I found a lot of scratches all over the frame. It didn’t look “professional”, had nothing common to regular wear… so I decided to “refinish” the frame and found it quite not expensive.
I polished the frame with sand paper and my gunsmith put “Cerakote H” on it. Now it looks like brand new :muscle:

3 Likes

I personally don’t mind it, yet if I was going to sell it, I would probably refinish if it was really worn. ( Ooppss! I only buy guns never sell them!) :rofl::+1:

2 Likes

Adds character,

I saw one repeated mistake after another in the US Army with people destroying the external finishes as well as the inner working parts.
Certain cleaners like carb cleaners, brake cleaners, and break free type cleaners all cause heavy damaging to finishes that are polymer or metals if left on.
It’s Not always the holsters fault. But some holsters in my opinion are just as bad and should be avoided combined with using such solvents.
Use and clean proper oils around / through the firearm and use smooth interior finished holsters.
How many times can something scuff before wear and tear starts on anything, then factor in improper used techniques for cleaning with residue that might be “hot” when slated into a synthetically plastic holster. It’s annoying just thinking about it.
I generally just let my belt support the grab just enough that I can still do a fairly quick draw if needed.
Holsters of any kind at some point will “print” you no matter how cautious you are. Clothing varies and not everything is compatible with or without one.
I’ve always tried to match a holster with what I’m wearing that day to avoid printing but also asking “With what I’m wearing will it really be necessary today?”
Some argue it’s more of a safety point to use one. Others argue it can delay your defense time.
I’m neutral on the use and have applied a principle to it both ways.
To each his / her own. Might as well be comfortable while living free.
Good luck to all out there.

Yes, I’m a Glock guy. A little wear and tear on the finish adds character.

5 Likes

I have not seen very many Glocks with much holster wear. Not sure if it is a more durable finish or maybe I just don’t see many Glocks.

2 Likes

It doesn’t bother me. I haven’t sold a gun in a long time and have no intention of ever selling another. If a gun has some honest wear, a quick trip to get it ceracoated is not very expensive, gives you a chance to do something unique, and is hard wearing.

That said, I have some glocks that have been in and out of holsters for over two decades and have maybe a little trace of thinning at the muzzle, and I have a wonderful S&W 39 that looks beautiful with its honest wear.

Keep in mind any bare steel is more susceptible to rust and corrosion and must be handled accordingly.

I have been carrying a dan Wesson 1911 with their duty T finish and so far no wear is apparent.

Wear is going to happen over time. It’s unavoidable. But there are steps you can take to minimize it. “They” say kydex wears a firearms finish less than leather. But to me, the key is keeping the holster clean. What causes most of the wear are all the little pieces of dirt, dust, lint, you name it, that works it’s way into the holster and acts like sandpaper on your guns finish. So, when was the last time you cleaned your holster? Do you clean your holster after every range session to make sure there is no carbon or powder particles from your drills left inside the holster?

4 Likes

Honest wear is not a problem. I take care of mine, keep them clean and do not abuse or mistreat them. If they get some wear marks from honest use, that’s ok. Holster wear, action wear is part of the deal. Any/every weapon that is used will show some wear marks. A revolver for example with no track mark on the cylinder has not been used…

2 Likes

Wear does not bother me at all, like the M-14 I carried in ner the blueing wore off,but as long as you keep it oiled and clean,it is still on the money,also I am not a belt/pocket carry,wore my 1911 in a shoulder holster,and to me it is the easiest to draw,and since then I carry all the time in a shoulder holster my Taurus 45 with a cloth shoulder holster w3ith Velcro closure,and it is completely comfortable to me that I dont even notice it and all my carry weapons have on demand lasers as withe all my rifles,i also carry a Tarsus 9mm in an ankle holster and it is also cloth and I never notice it when carrying too,I have always worn snap up western shirts and constantly practice drawing both weapon is odd positions to keep my motor memory top notch,the only confrontation I have had since Nam was in 2019 and at the 2nd stop I drew and dont remember doing it until it was in the low ready position,and that is why you have to train your motor memory to act and not realize until you have because seconds really do count

2 Likes

My EDC Glock 43… with some “character”.

5 Likes

MY EDC tends to see wear and tear on the rear sight and the rear right corner of the slide.

2 Likes

I carried this gun a LOT. I sold it and the new owner had some work done at WC and had it refinished.

2 Likes