Hmmm I wonder

I am looking for reaction mainly so here it goes. There seems to be more and more legal owners worried about future total confiscation. If it were as simple as sending LE and or the National Guard door to door and taking firearms from the law abiding wouldn’t it be equally easy to send them to take from the gangs, dealers, violent offenders and why is this seemingly never proposed by politicians running for office?

7 Likes

Probably because it might solve a problem… Of course, the National Guard would not work out Constitutionally, with that Posse Comitatus Act.

Honestly, when is the last time you saw a politician solve a problem? I think it goes against their principles. :grinning:

4 Likes

In principle I agree.

In practice, the bad guy will shoot the officer through the door, and his buddies drinking beer and doing drugs in the livingroom will jump up and shoot him some more.

On the other hand, law abiding citizens will complain while you confiscate their guns, put up with being handcuffed for getting mouthy. And then have to choose between supporting their families and paying their mortgage or paying a lawyer to sue and try to get their guns back… if they aren’t already destroyed under law.

8 Likes

It would never work seeing as crocked politicians and bad law enforcement do not get kick backs from John Q Public where as they do from gangs and dealers.

Disarming criminals would make sense but it would not help their political asperations as much as disarming the general law abiding citizen.

2 Likes

It is politicians erasing our 2nd Amendment rights. I do not see them having any problem ignoring an Act!

2 Likes

As for the original post, I had already considered the violence in the streets from going after the illegal firearms. There is irony in that however. Applying what we saw after Mayer Nagen confiscated all legal firearms to a National level you would end up with the same bloody streets. The only difference being who is bleeding. Violent crime soared after the Katrina gun grab.

3 Likes

And the fact that your exact logic is NOT being applied tells you the agenda is not about making the public safer.

8 Likes

The government doesn’t worry about law abiding citizens shooting at whoever they send. Criminals shoot at cops and government agents every day. That’s why.

2 Likes

One big problem with using National Guard is Posse Comitatus Act. Not enough LE to do the job. There is also our system of laws. Can’t just arrest “suspected” gang members. The biggest thing we can do is keep them in jail once they do enter the justice system. They are cut loose all too easily. All too often because our prisons are overcrowded. We need to release non-violent criminals (AKA drug possession and the like) and build more prisons. Just my thoughts.

4 Likes

“The possession of arms by the people is the ultimate warrant that government governs only with the consent of the governed.” —Jeff Snyder.

“As the Founding Fathers knew well, a government that does not trust its honest, law-abiding, taxpaying citizens with the means of self-defense is not itself worthy of trust. Laws disarming honest citizens proclaim that the government is the master, not the servant, of the people.” —Jeff Snyder.

“One of the ordinary modes, by which tyrants accomplish their purposes without resistance, is, by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms.”

– Constitutional scholar and Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

“False is the idea of utility that sacrifices a thousand real advantages for one imaginary or trifling inconvenience; that would take fire from men because it burns, and water because one may drown in it; that has no remedy for evils except destruction. The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.”

– Cesare Beccaria, as quoted by Thomas Jefferson’s Commonplace book

And I will end with this one:

“To disarm the people… was the best and most effectual way to enslave them.”

– George Mason, speech of June 14, 1788

Hope you enjoy the quotes.

10 Likes

Silly question. The criminals are hard to find and will likely fight back. Once the government imposes background checks for private sales, they will have a record of every transaction, allowing them to confiscate from honest citizens. If you think that those records are really destroyed, I’ve got an alien spacecraft at Area 51 to sell to you.
I’m afraid that, in many cases, the National Guard and (probably) the Army will cooperate in confiscating weapons, especially if Posse Comitatus is repealed or in validated by Executive Order. All you have to do is convince those Soldiers with a High School diploma and an 8th Grade education that what they are doing is legal. I say this with over 32 years military and federal service as the basis.

2 Likes

And I thought I was the half empty. I only served 8 but I know who I swore to protect. Somehow I cannot see our own soldiers creating a dictatorship. And yes, that is what we become. Unarmed citizens are dictated to. Disarming is ALWAYS the first step!

1 Like

Look at the tanks that were in use outside Waco, Texas a few years ago. My step-son was in the Army stationed at Ft. Hood at the time. He saw tanks loaded on flatbeds just before the fire happened then brought back shortly after. Our government does what it wants to do.

1 Like

In my mind, as long as those who want a United States outnumber those who want a nannie state, what the government does is our fault. We are the voters that put them there.

2 Likes

Legal owners register their guns. Gangbangers don’t bother with such niceties. The National Guard isn’t going to search every home, for secret hiding places. When the city of Chicago had stringent gun laws, they would take every gun off the street they could get their hands on. Yet their homicide rates were still sky high. Few of those guns were properly registered or legally owned. Stop and frisk can work to some extent, when the courts don’t enjoin it.

1 Like

We have the ability to find Russia and China’s most guarded secrets. I don’t believe for a second that LE is not capable of following the trail from crackhead to major supplier
The supplier has the armies. As do gangs like Ms-13 and organized crime rings. LE knows where all of these groups are headquartered. Now, whether it is corruption or let’s go home alive they are allowed to carry on. My guess would be that many of the illegal guns are there for the taking.

1 Like