Highland Park, IL Shooting of July 4, 2022; near Chicago

Question, does natural laws of self defense exclude a duty to retreat?

The Founding Fathers used the term Creator, which happens to fit in nicely with the 3 Abrahamic religions, with Mormonism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Zoroastrism, Bahai, so on . The term Creator may also be understood as life-giving force, derived from either God or material Universe. So it works for Agnostics as well.

Militant Atheists seem like the only ones who reject the term, but somehow they seek to stir confusion among people who do understand and accept Creator.

It is a baseless declaration. Living beings defended their lives as part of their existance and very nature, long before humans, or expressive languages and systems of agreement appeared. One can say the right to self defense is given by Creator for this reason.

4 Likes

All of the traditions scope self defense very differently,

Buddism scopes it here:

1. The duty to retreat from the site of the event.
  2. A certain mental element (one wants to compassionately prevent harm rather than angrily cause harm).

Islam is much broader: No duty to retreat, a necessity to protect scripture.

Hinduism:a duty to retreat.

Judaism: no duty to retreat

From where I sit there is quite a broad set of values that are derived from the choice of god that a person follows.

We have some states with duty to retreat and others without it. By moving to the state most compatible with your own philosophical doctrine, you remove the dilemma.
Note that these variations are dictated by law, not choice of God, because the US is not a theocratic country.

2 Likes

I dunno, you ever been to Utah?

You might be a little confused here at least in Christianity.
The trinity = the godhead = god = YHWH, Jesus and holy spirit. One god revealed in three persons all of the same essence.

If I have this right; Mormons believe Jesus is a created being and not god making it a pagan religion. Brahma I think falls under Hinduism and Hindus have at least 3M gods. That just doesnā€™t make since to me.

You leave islam out which is another pagan religion and a violent one at that. Also muslims will lie to you in a heart beat just to get you to become a muslim. As one former muslim says: stay away from islam.

How do you know the right one? Start reading and praying for guidance. Im a Christian and as such will tell you to start with the New Testament. Lots of wisdom in there. Archeologists find relics and places all the time that are mentioned in the Bible. Remember there are many false teachers out there so you to discern truth from fiction.

3 Likes

Why dont you just stay on topic? You arent here to learn but rather insult.

2 Likes

This guy is here to insult Christians- heā€™s not interested in what you have to sayā€¦

2 Likes

Well if he is, heā€™ll show his true colors soon enough

1 Like

LOL is there a state tax on infidels?

1 Like

Damn near it.

I have said nothing negative about Christians, I have asked about what is the proper truth value that one ought to use when applying natural law theory. I just donā€™t see one that works for all of humanity. It is the case that various religions offer very different truth values when it comes to defining the proper ethical code to adjudicated self defense law.

If you see that as an attack, you really need to look at your priorsā€¦

Jesus said: as much as it is up to you, live at peace with everyone.

I think pretty much covers what we need to know. Be at peace with everyone but if they want to hurt you, you can defend yourself.

4 Likes

Still off topic. If you want to defend yourself- do so, if not donā€™t!

1 Like

As one guy I watch says: criminals are going to criminal. Meaning crooks are going to do bad things no matter where you live or what laws are in place. Have you watched the news lately? The former PM of Japan was just killed by a home made gun. If someone is determined enough, they will find a way to do it. Laws mean little to them. As my dad used to say: the only thing a lock does is to keep an honest man honest.

4 Likes

There is a lot yo unload here.
First, IL CCL law says we cannot carry at festivals/paradesā€¦so no one was armed, other than the murderer.
Second, a lot of people undertook heroic actions, not the least of whom was the father who lost his life draping his body over his 8 year old son.

Now, lets talk about the vulture media, and the regime in DC.
Am i the only one who finds it odd the ā€œvice presidentā€ had a planned visit to Chiraq when this mass shooting was taki g place? They jad no intention of visiting chiraq in the last 2 years, and sheiraculously has plans to visit here a day after thw attack? We can revisit that later, but you know where i am going with thisā€¦
Now, the mediaā€¦WGN especially has been covering it 30 minutes nightly. I grew up in Lake Forest(the next town north) and my wife grew up in Highland Park. This hit home. A#itionally, my son works a summer internship in HP. He had to go to work on thursday. Whem i picked him up, i was taken aback by the APCs on every corner, the cops every 100 feet on every block, and the media. The media had tents set up all over, and WGN had 2 vans camped across from my sonā€™s work. I asked a WGN employee ā€œHey, why are you effing vultures harrassing these peopleā€¦how about you give them a break and allow them to mourn in peace?ā€ā€¦
He got pretty angry-i definitely wasnt the first one that day who let him have itā€¦ but let that s8nk inā€¦this turd went after me, a citizen, for questioning their(the mediaā€™s) intent.
Bottom line, the media are scum. They are making life miserable for the people of highland park(except for the radical leftist mayor and her acolytes who are eating the attention up).
Keep your head on a swivel. Stay out of kill-boxes, and dont trust the authorities to protect you-cause thwy cant and they wont.

2 Likes
  1. You are learning the left wants to make ppl sheep and dependent on the government
  2. Now think of the heroic actions that could have happened if the parade goers were armed!

Donā€™t know your situation but you can vote with your feet. Liberal states are seeing a massive out flow of ppl to conservative states. I take my gun with me everywhere Iā€™m legally allowed. Exceptions are in court, sharifā€™s office and state capital buildings. Also in places that have a sign up saying no guns, I ignore the sign since the police is only called if I refuse to leave. I spend my money in 2A friendly stores.

Edit: canā€™t go into places where the majority of business is selling alcohol. If I go to a place with a bar and regular seating, canā€™t sit in the bar area.

3 Likes

I am sure you know what Natural Law is, you are just stirring the pot. If you do not know, it is quite easy to learn, just do a search on Natural Law. This not the place for your nastiness.

I am an Atheist. So I refer to Natural Law as it is written in our Constitution, unalienable rights. I will not bother to explain Natural Law, as you can find that answer online, if you really cared to know, which is quite plainly obvious is not your goal here. As was stated, every living thing has a self-defense mechanism - that is part of Natural Law. Our Founding Fathers base our unalienable rights on the writings of Thomas Hobbes and John Locke, both were Christian.

Whether or not you believe in Natural Law is irrelevant as it is codified in our Constitution. Jefferson even stated that even without the Second Amendment, we would still have a right to the RKBA as it is part of the the unalienable right to self-defense. Even some animals use arms (weapons) other than their own bodies to aid them in their defense. If you do not understand basic biology, this is not the forum for that discussion. Do your due diligence research online to find your answers.

3 Likes

I dont frequent businesses who have no guns signs. I wont enrich someone who doesnt believe in the constitution.
As for no one carrying in highland parkā€¦the sheriff of lake county who was on a float wasnt carryingā€¦absolutely disgusting-a problem created by all involvedā€¦

3 Likes

On a totally non-theological not it bothers me that you can have a body count like Highland Parkā€™s on any random weekend in certain Chicago neighborhoods and nobody gives it a second thought.
Some psychopath shoots up an upscale white neighborhood and itā€™s national news 24/7.
All of this wanton killing needs to be addressed and not just with more gun laws.
But root cause analysis and elimination isnā€™t as glamorous as protesting for more gun laws or grandstanding in some way.
Addressing deep seated societal issues is neither glamorous not easy.

4 Likes