Chicago

I just don’t get it. Some of the most restrictive gun laws in the country but yet the most gun violence. I guess they need to pass some more legislation before it really gets out of hand there…

But seriously it’s so sad and I don’t mean to make light of the issue. I hate reading about this virtually every day. People are suffering and nothing’s being done about it but more talk of the evil firearms. Never any talk of the evil people who committed the crimes or what is being done to address the real issue that’s causing the violence in the first place.

It also makes me angry knowing the politicians are just going to continually pass blame to inanimate objects or rival politicians. Scream at the other side throwing blame as far away from themselves as possible while those people who are living the nightmare continue to be stuck dead in the middle of a defunct war zone. A great many of those people deserve better. They deserve a better effort from their leaders and they deserve to not have to worry when a stray bullets coming into their home because a small percentage are lawless and know nothings being done and they continue to torment the area of the city.

Sorry for the rant, this is actually the first time I’ve ever cut loose like this on a forum, but I had to get that off my chest. Never been to Chicago and probably will never go. But I tell you this, those are Americans living in that hell and they deserve better. Shame on that city for letting it get so out of hand.

11 Likes

@Jeff4 We all feel your pain and disgust at the murder of children and bystanders. It is beyond words.
Now the latest is to blame the presence of Federal LEOs. After watching the riots on TV I do not know how the
Chicago PD put on their uniforms every day and mans the barriers, my heart goes out to them and my respect. :cry:

9 Likes

Amen, spot on @BRUCE26.

4 Likes

Normally, I would go for the funny meme here but this is actually making me upset. The huge uptick in shootings being done this year has nothing to do with the bad guys doing the shooting. Instead it’s the fault of the uptick in gun sales, that’s the problem.

Depending on what numbers you use there are 400+million guns in the U.S. and trillions of rounds. If legal gun owners were the problem the world would know.

I really dislike the current skew MSM is putting on first time owners of handguns. If you want my support for anything. Show me you are serious about getting the guns out of criminals hands first.

10 Likes

It is apparent that in some cities, local authorities abdicated their duty to enforce law and protect law-abiding people from criminality. Portland, Seattle, Chicago, Atlanta, NYC, LA and so on exemplify it. On top of it, state authorities abdicated on their duties as well in NY, Wash State, Illinois, CA. There are 3 things that will happen: terror mob rule, vigilantism, or the Feds will finally find it in them to take over these cities. I don’t mean send some agents in unmarked cars, I mean replace the mayor and city council with provisional authority who is hostile to criminals, not law-abiding public. I don’t see how mayor Lightfoot of Chicago or the unanimously anti-police Minneapolis city council can assure rights of the public to be safe and pursue happiness.

5 Likes

Well the one thing that was made very apparent to me is that the military and LEO will follow questionably unconstitutional orders.

That scares me

5 Likes

That determination is somewhat subjective and depends somewhat on which news outlet you believe. Doesn’t it?

Are the feds arresting individuals who have violated applicable laws, or are they harassing peacefull protestors that have only ‘accidentally’ vandalizing government property? Or do you mean local LEO by giving tickets for not wearing masks, or for going to the gym or church?

On a side note, I wonder how many of these citys could function without assistance from the surrounding state and/or federal government. The phrase that come to mind is ‘self sustain’. I wonder, could they self sustain if the purse stings were cut?

We don’t need no stinking outside intervention!!! Unless you want to give a check??

6 Likes

Coming from a large family, I’ve experienced different sides. The city I’m in is so large, which I think adds to the additional press we get as opposed to smaller jurisdictions. Needing to continue employment, and needing to reside close to where I work, forces me to remain. Although I might be fairly stable, if another work opportunity arose outside of this city, I’d leave in a heartbeat; Sadly, leaving some family further distanced. There are countless of good people here as well of course, both outside and within law enforcement. You have a like-minded friend here in me. Best regards.

5 Likes

You hit the nail on the head!!! So true…depends on what “news” you are watching and believing.

3 Likes

Illinois:

I just noticed in my mail today, that I received the ballot I had ordered. Two polling questions which caught my attention were “If those with higher incomes should be taxed higher”, and

“Should the State of Illinois restrict the sale or possession of firearms that have been defined as assault weapons or of magazines that can hold more than a certain number of rounds of ammunition?”

In my other beliefs to try to mitigate mass shootings, I struggled with that question, despite my owning guns. A beloved civilian relative of mine happened to be involved in a fire fight with a few armed perps who attacked him. He shared that for him, it made a difference that he had more rounds in his magazine, and believes that was why the shooters subsequently fled the scene.

Link to Chicago Board of Elections mail order ballot option:

https://chicagoelections.gov/en/vote-by-mail.html

3 Likes

The big uptick in Gun sales has nothing to do with the Shootings in places Like Chicago, New York and New Jersey. People going through the process and the waiting period or even background checks are hardly “ever” the ones doing shooting. Crime is up because policing is busy other places. Or in some cases Policing is being de-funded. Take the guns away from people following the rules and the only ones that will have and keep guns will be the rule breakers. You can’t buy a gun in Chicago because they don’t have a gun store to buy from. It is not easy to get a hand gun in New York and yet the murder rate is up. The problem with Chicago is they have no heart for putting the offenders in jail. In New York they are simply arrested and then let out to offend again. How has the gun free zones worked? Remove the weapons from people that haven’t committed a crime will not frighten people that do commit crimes from using a weapon. Oh they say, they simply go out of state to where it is easier to get a gun? Really? So why isn’t there a spike in crime at the point of sale? The only way to cut back on crime is the way the cut back on crime in New York originally. Police the dickens out of the city. Make using a weapon an additional charge or enhancement. Don’t disarm the people that need to protect themselves. Otherwise those people will have to break the law to protect themselves and they will not trust the police either. So I guess I disagree about the spike in gun sales.

5 Likes

@Robert5

That has been my position forever and won’t change. Stop coming after the law abiding citizen. When you arrest a criminal with a gun add time to his sentence for using a weapon in the commission of their crime.

In Alabama, a Theft of Property lll becomes a Robbery lll just by the victim being there. If the criminal was carrying a weapon it becomes a Robbery l. That’s a huge increase in sentencing possibilities.

Instead of creating new laws enforce what’s on the books.

5 Likes

Now I can agree. enforce the laws and give the people enforcing it the authority to do so. Yes there can be some bad actors but the system is designed to deal with them, if we enforce the laws and rules we have. I cannot think of a lot of reasons for shooting an unarmed citizen unless they were considerably bigger than you and attacked by surprise or were in full blown resistance. But that is for a jury to decide not a mob. There is never any justification for burning and looting even when you don’t feel justice has been served. Attacking the people of Minneapolis and burning the businesses down is like destroying your own house to lower the property value of your neighbors. Pure unmitigated stupidity. And politicians allowing it to happen is no smarter.

De-funding the police, letting criminals out of jail and eliminating the justice system isn’t going to work and those that say we should re-imagine the system are simply asking for the days of the Earps and Clantons. And I contend that is what people see when the shelves of your local big box store is empty of ammunition.

3 Likes

And you wonder why things went from bad to worse??? :roll_eyes:

1 Like

WHAT A NUT :crazy_face: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :crazy_face:

2 Likes

…those costumes have “Built by AFSCME” written all over them. :rofl:

3 Likes

That looks like a bad episode of Star Trek or Dr. Who from the early days of color tv…

3 Likes

:man_facepalming: Someone please tell me this is some sort of spoof.

1 Like

No! No! This was her skit on how to pass out Halloween candy safely. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Due to 'rona virus concerns, we will be observing DOH social distancing guidelines and delivering Halloween treats via the tater canon. Be advised…all we have found is fun-sized snickers bars and skittles. Choose wisely… :rofl:

3 Likes