High or Low - Sight Picture on slopes

I just walked down a pretty steep, long trail. Part of it is a narrow stairway through thick forest other parts a narrow dirt trail.
A guy came out of the trees about 30 feet below me, looked up and ducked back into the trees. Nothing happened, he was waiting for his dog to do it’s business. But it stirred a thought. Had he been an aggressor how would I target him. He was probably 10 feet vertically below the bottom of my feet and 20 or so feet out.
I don’t think time would be much of an issue, he would have to close on me up a pretty steep hill. Looking down on him made his profile much smaller. We train shooting up, from laying on the ground, under cars and such but I don’t recall any drills of shooting down. Going to have to set something up on the range for this situation.

5 Likes

As far as hunting big game, you aim for the exit hole for angled shots.

Then correcting for drop at distance when shooting uphill or downhill you would “aim low” from your regular horizontal drop dope because the horizontal distance gravity pulls on the bullet is less. So at a steep incline the bullet might fly 300 yards but the level horizontal distance might only be 250 yards. The hold off for wind deflection is the same as your true measured yardage.

11 Likes

Been awhile since I watched this, but maybe it’ll help.

5 Likes

Try this: Tips on Shooting Uphill/Downhill Angles - RifleShooter (rifleshootermag.com)

4 Likes

Great article. Thanks for sharing!

Here’s an illustration for what I was explaining above.

4 Likes