Should you hold your muzzle pointing to the sky or the ground? And why?

I have heard many people tell me one way or the other but ill throw in a hypothetical (yeah I know :roll_eyes:) to make the situation more clear. People break into your home and you have multiple people to defend/clear the house (wife, roommate, ect.) You both/all have rifles and stick together do you keep your muzzle up or down and why. I learned to keep my muzzle down but know many keep it up. I would keep pointing straight out unless there is an obstacle I don’t want to flag (ex.your partner/family) then ill point down, some point up. Perfer no to get shot at all but would rather accidentally get shot in the foot then in the head plus I know the backdrop is the ground, yeah I know trigger discipline and you should be fine but still. What do you do and why?

Also wow there are a lot of new members sence i was last on welcome everyone!

4 Likes

Personally I think it depends on your environment/location. If the ground is dirt/grass then pointing down is preferable. If f it’s concrete,???, the it depends if anyone is within close proximity to you. You might be better off pointing in the air if you are surrounded by people. Oh, and point down range and away from people. Kind of like when hunting. Don’t flag people.

9 Likes

Straight ahead, unless I would flag someone, then away from that individual (and others). If I can’t avoid flagging someone, we’ve got the situation covered and I will holster my weapon.

4 Likes

Seven minutes and already 2 replys. Absolutely, environment could change everything and rifle manipulation is always in the back of my mind. I can only remember having my muzzle up in hunting partys while practicing safety in groups but I was never in any defense situation with a firearm (thank god) hence the hypothetical. We obviously wouldn’t cradle carry while sweeping a house like while hunting but the thing in my mind is always backdrop, is there a room below me or above me do I know for sure if there is anyone in those rooms. I want to make it second nature to be aware of where to keep my muzzle so I practice with a simulation weapon and find myself pointing down when trying not to flag anyone. Same in paintball

3 Likes

To avoid flagging I keep the butt of the gun under my arm with the barrel up. Practicing dropping to the target after rounding the corner is important process to take to do this task efficiently. Clearing the house, I would have the barrel pointed out at the ready but be careful near doors not to flag and also to prevent someone from trying to grab the barrel when you come to the doorway. This is the way we were trained. If someone charges at you and you have it pointed down, it is harder to get it on target than it is with it in the up position.
I live in an upper level house and the people that live under us probably would appreciate that I do point up. There is that condition to think about. Safety rule number two; Keep your weapon pointed in a safe direction.

4 Likes

In the sky or at the ground are old outdated forms of weapons handling. It’s best to carry your weapon at the high ready position or “Sul” which I would describe as a modified high-ready. Low ready is preferable to avoid flagging but given the possibility for immediate threat, high-ready is my go to.

6 Likes

I also put the but under my arm holding with a c clamp grip holding the muzzle at chest/head height downrange and when needed slam the butt of the rifle to my shoulder while pointing with my grip hand. But like I said I have a habit of always pointing down when manipulating not to flag. I will practice both ways for now on to get a perspective I just have a habit of pointing down always but could see benefits of holding the muzzle to the sky in some situations.

3 Likes

I can see how holding the gun the way we do it would be quicker to point up than down. I will try to make this a habbit.

3 Likes

I come from a hunting background which is mostly long guns. The conditions, environment, people, and bird dogs, dictate how I carry. It started when I was very young with the up or down basic rule.
When hunting with others and dogs you have to be aware of everyone’s location. The next to last thing you want to do is swing your gun through a person or dog and the last thing being shooting one of those two. You have to be ready to deal with a slip and fall. You have to be sure your safety remains on. You make sure no brush or twigs can interact with the trigger, etc.etc… When you can ‘automatically’ do these things without thought you will know where your muzzle should be regardless of weapon type or location/environment. Anyway, that’s my humble opinion.

7 Likes

I completely agree for when hunting but like I said you wouldn’t use something like a cradle carry or other hunting carrys for when you may get shot at as soon as you turn a corner. And definitely wouldn’t keep the safety on when you know for sure there is danger nearby. This is why I threw in the hypothetical.

4 Likes

What would be the point of shooting at the sky. The bullets have to fall at some point.

5 Likes

Its nice to get opinions from veterans. Thanks for the opinions and thanks for your service.

3 Likes

Carry High-Port when moving about

Moving And Shooting Drills | S12 May 2020 Event

• CarryTrainer

https://youtube.com/watch?v=d50kej72mE8

@ time = 29:00min & @ time = 35.00

:white_check_mark: what I got out of this training session is that if you carry the gun right next to the head (de-cocked or on safety) it will be in control while you go get help or coordinate an action plan with others. After the threat is gone the firearm can go back to bed inside the holster.

3 Likes

I haven’t watched the whole thing yet but from what I’ve seen I handle my handguns the same way. In the hypothetical we have rifles ak/ar ect.

1 Like

Playing Devil’s Advocate - why are you clearing the house? Are your children in a different area and you have to get to them?

If someone breaks into my house, I’m taking up a strategic location (or getting out) and calling the police. If I have to get to my granddaughter, I would keep the firearm at high compressed ready (chest-height aiming forward and angle my body to the side of the house where my granddaughter isn’t. She’s also shorter than I am so I would be aiming over her head.

6 Likes

Again hypothetical to the question and I have one child who is 10 years old. Likely he will be playing video games and in a different room we have 2 elders on the first floor and my son is Likely on the first floor too meanwhile I would Likely be on the second floor so no matter what going toward the danger is just what is going to happen shure I could hide and leave my son and his grandparents downstairs and hope the bad guy runs from my sons nerf gun. Again in the hypothetical rifles not handguns. And am only using this hypothetical to get answers not related to handguns or hunting. In reality my dogs would bark nonstop as soon as any vehicle comes up the driveway, my son knows to run upstairs if ther is any suspicious activity or danger presents itself where where I would give him my glock 21 in a micro conversion kit that he has proven he can handle and hide in the walk in shower in the master bedroom and be prepared to shoot anyone that does not give the safe word. At that point there are two elders downstairs and for all I know there setting the first floor on fire while we are hiding upstairs. After son is in the “safe spot” if wife is home thats the next step, what of she is in the kitchen cooking and im upstairs do I leave her down there, again with two elders. There is a very high chance im going toward danger if someone breaks into my home regardless. No after everyone is safe I would not clear the house but there is a chance im clearing the first floor to find and get people to safety. What happens when your granddaughter is playing in the living room and you happen to be in a bedroom or bathroom on the second floor bad guy between you and her. I personally wouldn’t at that point go to a strategic location without knowing the rest of my family is safe. Hate to say it but my family can live without me I can’t live without them.

1 Like

Change the hypothetical im a navy seal and im raiding an ISIS compound for pow’s everything else is the same simple how do you hold your RIFLES? Not hunting in the woods not with handguns and not with family around. Sorry for any confusion with the first hypothetical.

1 Like

@Brandon46 - why all of the change-ups to your hypothetical situation? What are you really looking for?

2 Likes

IF you are in a tactical situation your firearm is in the high ready or low ready position when you don’t have a target or are in a “stack” depending on your position in that stack. The position is dynamic as is the situation, if you are an the wall side, gun down. If you are on the hall side gun up, if you are in front or entering, gun on point and the muzzle goes where your eyes go.

For general purpose walking around, cross body barrel down.

In formation barrel up and slung.

In a helicopter barrel DOWN at all times. 50/50 on air planes but most go with down as there is generally “stuff” under you and less “skin” above. In a wheeled/tracked vehicle muzzle up.

There are many wrong ways to carry and many correct ways but no single way is ever constant.

Cheers,

Craig6

7 Likes

Just trying to get an answer for the question the hypothetical is based on, Should you hold your muzzle to pointing to the ground or the sky? I used the hypothetical to establish a situation not hunting not handguns and not at the range but in an intense situation where someone would not simply have there weapon on safety basically a tactical self defense type of deal. I change the hypothetical to remove the thought of family from the picture. For example the question was up or down what your answer was “Straight ahead, unless I would flag someone, then away”. I explained i would keep Straight ahead and know obviously to point away but how up or down. This seems to be pretty divided on which one is correct or if they are both fine what you would fall to so im curious where everyone stands on this topic.