Bullets facing front or rear?

Assume you carry at least one spare magazine vertically in a mag carrier on your belt. Are the bullets facing to the front or the rear?

Rear for me. So when I crap the mag, it’s already oriented in my hand to go in the pistol.

2 Likes

There are only two ways to do it but 10,000 opinions as to why for each. I subscribe to the boolits forward in that when I grab a spare I “Index” it with my pointy finger and then point to the bottom of my shooting hand. Your pointer knows where your hand is (proprioception) and goes there automatically.

Cheers,

Craig6

14 Likes

It’s a matter of training, nothing else.
I found bullets facing front more convenient and faster for reloads for me.

5 Likes

I carry the spare holder so, when I pull the spare out of its holder, my index finger touches point of the bullet. Then I know how to orient my hand to insert the spare, without looking.

4 Likes

I index off the front of the floor plate (which results in the ammo pointing into the chamber when I insert the mag).

3 Likes

Larry130, in which direction is the front of the floorplate facing when the magazine is in the carrier?

Carrying spare mag on left side and grabbing with left hand bullets face fwd for me. For me, that naturally orients the mag properly for insertion without any strange twists of the hand.

3 Likes

Like on 11 o’clock? For me, bullets face backward, I carry in the pocket pouch or on 7 o’clock

1 Like

I rarely carry a spare magazine. Needing a spare magazine, for a private citizen, is extraordinarily rare. I’m not Batman so I can only carry so much, I am confident other things, like medical/first aid, are far more likely to save my life or the life of another than a spare magazine is. So I carry those instead.

I am also certain a non lethal tool like pepper spray is, despite the ‘non lethal’ tag, also more likely to save a life (or serious bodily harm) than a spare mag is. So, I rarely carry a spare mag.

When I do, pistol mags go bullets forward with index finger along the front.

Rifle mags to bullets back for a beer can grip

1 Like

Yes…11.

1 Like

Left hand side, magazine baseplate up, and bullets facing rear. Lifting the magazine straight up orients my left hand thumb on the rear of the magazine, and left hand index finger on the bullet side of the magazine.

1 Like

Even private citizens’ magazines can have mechanical problems.

2 Likes

I pull my spare mag using my left hand. When I reach to engage the mag my forefinger makes “first contact” with the tip of the floorplate - my finger and the floorplate are both pointing to my right (or clockwise as I am looking down). As soon as my fingertip touches the tip of the floorplate I further engage the mag with my left hand thumb and middle finger. I extract the mag, rotating my hand away from my body, which orients the rounds with the chamber, and insert the mag into the the mag well.

1 Like

A lot of things can happen.

Some things that can happen, rarely do.

Personally, I generally choose to take my chances that my good quality OEM mags that are proven to work, and handled gently (the ones I carry), in my quality well maintained pistol, firing quality ammo, that I have tested in my hands, will suddenly suffer a catastrophic magazine related failure while using said firearm for self defense, and that a phase I or immediate action drill of tap-rack-assess is able to be performed, and is performed, and the pistol still doesn’t work, and that I will then perform a phase II malfunction drill where I strip the mag, work the slide, reinsert the mag, and the gun still doesn’t work (and I’m still able to be working on it and still in need of using it), but if I had gone to a different mag for that phase II instead of reinserting the first mag, it would have worked, and that will make the difference in the outcome.

It’s also possible I’ll die because I didn’t wear concealable soft body armor that day, even private citizens get shot in the torso by handguns.

It is possible I’ll die because I didn’t have a TCCC approved tourniquet on my person that day, etc.

Nothing against those who carry spare mags, but, my risk analysis personally doesn’t call for it. And the overall stats and lack of any evidence of it ever being an issue for a private citizen don’t change my mind.

4 Likes

I just tried to do some mag changes with bullets facing rear and that is some weird stuff. Kudos to you guys who can do it, but it’s too awkward for me. I suppose the answer to the question is to do whatever you are most efficient with. For me it would be bullets facing forward with index finger leading into the grip.

4 Likes

IME all of the trainers/schools/classes default to bullets forward for pistol mags that are carried vertically. For weirdos with horizontal mags, bullets up and baseplate away from midline.

1 Like

Part of the answer might depend on whether the magazine is carried on the dominant vs. non-dominent side of the body, or appendix or on a leg or chest …

2 Likes

Bullets forward for pistol. To the rear just feels too slow and unnatural for me.

With a rifle I could probably go either way. Think to the rear with the beer can grip works a little better on longer mags but not as well with shorter 10 round mags.

2 Likes

Personally, I have not found that location along the waist makes any difference — from behind the hip weak side to in front of the hip strong side — bullets point toward the gun. The index finger will index the bullet tip to the front of grip. Quick, certain, and limits the need to look away from danger (since most of us are able to locate our hands without looking).

That makes the original question sort of a trap — to keep the same orientation, magazines hanging off the weak side will have bullets point forward, but on the strong side they will point back. :woozy_face:

3 Likes