Rules of Safety: What version do you use?

There are a lot of variations on the gun safety rules, but they all have a lot of similarities. I typically stick to one version when I’m teaching, but I’ve been introduced to a number of versions.

Who taught you the version of the rules that you know?

Even though I’m NRA Certified, I use the NSSF rules…Although for #4 I use “be sure of your target and what’s beyond” just to be clear to the person I’m instructing.

2 Likes

I agree with @JamesR.
I keep in mind NSSF rules with different #4 (be sure of your target and what’s beyond).
I’ve learned these from Youtube channels, long time before I touched first gun.
Then I’ve heard these rules all over again on every classes and whenever I practice with my kids.

1 Like

My grandfather taught me these simple rules.

1. gun pointed in a safe direction.
  2. know your target and what’s behind it.
  3. only shoot something you’re willing to destroy or kill.
  4. only put your finger one the trigger when you’re ready to fire.
    And 5) a clean weapon is a happy weapon.
1 Like

I learned from my dad, a former Marine marksman:

1. Never trust your memory or what someone tells you about a gun being loaded. ALWAYS CHECK. EVERY TIME. (Emphasis his.)

2. Never point a weapon at anything you don’t want to hit with a bullet.

3. Always be absolutely certain of your target AND what you might hit if you miss.

4. NEVER touch the trigger until you’re ready to fire.

5. Keep your weapon clean.

1 Like

@Brian_J, @David38 - I love the fifth rule (even it’s not a “safety rule”) :+1:

2 Likes

I agree with @Jerzy, I love the 5th Rule! I would think that a clean gun is helpful for safety as well as there are less chances of issues.

1 Like

This is true, plus cleaning my firearms is actually a calming thing to do for me… well until this battle with the 1911, but I adapted and overcame for the win… lol

This is a kind of loop… To use rule #5, you have to follow rules #1 - 4 :point_up:

1 Like

Yes it is, but it’s a good loop to be in.

1 Like