Rules of Safety: What version do you use?

I like kISS and consistency

1. Always treat every gun as if loaded
  2. Do not allow muzzle to point at things you are unwilling to destroy (aka safe direction)
  3. Finger away from trigger guard (straight long frame or receiver) until preparing to fire
  4. Positively identify target and backstop

You can make them longer and more complicated and end up with a dozen rules each a paragraph long, but I think “The 4” do it. For example, you could write a short essay on the variable definition of safe direction, which is in fact variable depending on context and circumstance. You could also go really deep into target ID and backstop talking about everything in between you and the target or potentially between, everything behind, backstop, ricochet, etc. Could get into the discussion of when the gun should be loaded or not loaded, visual indicators of condition, how to hand guns between people…

…but when it gets long, you lose people.

“The rules” IMO need to be Keep It Simple Stupid. Short enough you can tell them to new shooters, or non shooters, or kids, and they can easily understand and remember them.

You can get into the weeds as the need arises.

3 Likes

Good catch. I changed vids, to one where the handler keeps his hand away from the muzzle.

1 Like

In my NSSF First Shots classes I hand out copies of the Rules of Safety. I have different students in the class read them aloud, then will ask someone else what that rule means. Discussion generally follows. My real focus is on ensuring they know what each rule means. For example “Treat every firearm as if it were loaded” becomes “If you see a firearm, IT IS LOADED.” I don’t what them to have to figure out what “as if it were loaded” actually means. For others, such as “know your target and what is beyond it” I describe scenarios and ask the students which of the rules may apply, My goal goes beyond getting them to memorize to getting them to think.

1 Like

I agree with the KISS method. Those are the four rules I learned and the ones I most often see being taught to others. They are also the four rules my son needs to consistently demonstrate with his toy guns before he gets to try the real thing.

2 Likes

I’ve been involved in hundreds class already and I’ve notice very funny thing.
Usually Instructors start with asking students about 4 safety gun rules… which actually are hanging at every wall at LGS, classes, ranges… everywhere…

A 2022-05-30 21-25-37
(this is just example found on interent)

Most of students are trying to find these rules in their heads, not simply read them from the wall.
I always tell them that they need to be focused on every piece of surroundings. It’s a good idea to memorize the rules and be able to articulate them whenever you are asked… but the class usually gives a little stress and students are forgetting things.

1 Like