Tactical Tuesday: Prone Pistol Drill

When we train, we don’t normally train in a prone position. It’s an unusual position to shoot from. However, there is a chance you’ll be shooting from the ground during a self-defense incident, so knowing how to shoot from that position could save your life.

While I wouldn’t spend a lot of time training from the prone position, it is a good skill to have.

Do you train in any other unusual positions or stances?

3 Likes

The prone position is excellent in areas you might have little or no cover. I practice this position at my step-dad’s farm.

1 Like

Haven’t done prone. I’ve done kneeling from each knee and both knees. I’ve done sitting both from a make shift table to simulate a restaurant and from seated in my car.

It presents a lot of unique challenges and I did a lot of dry fire draws and worked very slowly. I still don’t go very fast as I’m looking to develop the muscle memory and not put a hole thru my vehicles

2 Likes

I’ve shot from kneeling and sitting. The only prone shooting I do is rifle.

1 Like

First time I did was at pistol range while in the army. It’s not an easy task.

1 Like

It is HIGHLY beneficial to know what your short arm does when you are flat on your belly or more importantly ON YOUR SIDE. (think under a car). If a gun is fired PERFECTLY horizontal the bullet will begin to drop the instant it leaves the barrel (gravity works every time). Only our sights which incline the boolit UP make it possible to hit a target down range.

Here is the rub: Flip the gun 90% to the right. The boolit is still going to fall coming out of the tube but your sights are totally off. The general rule of thumb is to “aim” at the shoulder closest to your feet. So if you go flat and end up on your right side, aim at the “left shoulder” (the target’s right facing you) of the target. Sight picture and trigger control all work the same but you are clocking out the mechanical offset and ballistic drop. You can try this at any range standing up, it’s uncomfortable but you can do it if you are careful. It is knowledge worth having.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

Challenge accepted.

Never thought different angles different holds.

That’ll be an interesting. As always @Craig6 thought provoking.

1 Like

@Sheepdog556 as always it depends on your weapon platform and ammunition for the Exact POA. It is also for targets at a bit of a distance so that there is actual bullet drop say 15 yards with a pistol and 100 yards with a rifle Try it closer and walk it out using the same point of aim and you will see the drop and right/left begin to emerge the farther back you get.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

Sure will.

Failing = learning. I’d rather learn now.

2 Likes

Now I’m curious what distance I can use my vehicle for cover if I’m going to go prone and shoot under it. I love when these scenarios bring this stuff up. It’s fun to set it up and do either dry or controlled runs. See what works or what’s possible. Might change or solidify your mindset.

1 Like

Falling to my right or left.

There was one range I used to do this at all the time. Shooting under the car at the targets feet usually brings better targets down.

1 Like