Tactical Tuesday: Elevated Shooting

While many ranges do not allow for movement on the firing line, movement in a real self-defense situation can be the defining factor in whether or not we survive. The USCCA’s Steve Fischer and Mike Brickner and D.R.A.W. Academy’s Jason Speller share a drill on the range to help you train for shooing from different elevations. (This can also be done off the range as a dry-fire drill.)

How do you train for shooting from different elevations?

2 Likes

That’s not exactly what I was expecting for “shooting from different elevations” or “angled fire”. Most pistols are set up so that their sights are “regulated” to be dead on at some nominal self defense distance. For fixed sights it’s usually 7 - 10 yards after that distance out to about 20 yards the shooter can hold center and send it. Beyond that you will have to begin to “hold” elevation to make center mass hits. This doesn’t change with angled fire but the closer the target is the more you have to be aware of mechanical offset. At “Oh Crap Snake! Distance” the difference between a hit and a miss may be as much as a 1/2" due to the offset between the sights and the center of the bore of the pistol in question.

If you take a “perfectly aimed” shot at 2.5’ you are going to hit LOW. If you have a snake at your feet and you aim at it’s head you will hit LOW and miss, don’t ask me how I know this :flushed: Until the offending target gets out to that 7 yard range you will continue to hit LOW. The same thing with UP shooting. It’s a little more intricate with rifles but the principle remains the same until you start getting out there and then it reverses due to that whole math thing again.

Cheers,

Craig6

OBTW: HAPPY BIRTHDAY @Dawn !!! Many more young lady!!! (actually I think she’s almost as old as I am give or take :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: )

4 Likes

Think of it like the Dot torture test but between laying on the ground, sitting on the ground, laying on your side using weak hand, Squat down and any other awkward position. That would make for a fun shooting competition.

2 Likes

Probably not the right place to post this, but the thread title actually raised an old quesetion for me related to “elevated” shooting. Maybe someone can pipe in, or maybe this could be switched to a new post if it will derail the subject…

Basically, I noticed a few times in the past when shooting down (and I’m assuming that there would be a similar issue shooting up) that my aim was way off. For instance, when I was younger, I took my HD pistol (.45ACP), which I could shoot from 5-25 yards in the bullseye at the range, and a friend’s brother set up a target sitting on the ground at his farm. It was pretty close (maybe 5 yards), and all of my shots hit about 6 inches low (in the dirt). When I went back to the indoor range and shot at the same level, all of my shots were on the bullseye.

I was wondering if anyone had any insight as to this? This makes me hesitate at possibly making shots at different elevation in a SD scenario.

1 Like

@Scotty that’s what I was referring to with mechanical offset of the bore to the sights. That said it shouldn’t be 5-6" but it may very well be in your pistol. If you are REALLY curious you will need to find a stuitale place as no range will let you do it. I’d suggest a nice pine tree grove with lots of needles on the ground and doggone few rocks. Take some cardboard (Paper gets destroyed when the ground decides it’s been shot) draw some thick black lines near the top for an aiming point, circles don’t work well. Put it on the ground 2’ away and shoot it, mark that location and put it at 3’ rinse and replete till you are happy or curiosity satisfied. If you really want to see what happens find your self a 12’ high deer stand and do the same (Just in case you need to lean out a second story window or the magnificent buck of your dreams happens to stand under your stand) Food for thought and worth what you paid for it but I would submit that it is a worthwhile endeavor.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

Unfortunately I don’t have access to those accomodations now that I moved back. If I have an opportunity in the future I will definitely test this out, as it has been on my mind for years. The 5-6" also had me flummoxed.

1 Like