Unorthodox firing positions

I’m just curious who trains on less than optimal shooting scenarios; e.g. unsighted fire, out of position target acquisition, sight alignment strong and offhand shooting from less than optimal angles.

Square ranges offer little in the way of opportunity for such unorthodox techniques. I am wondering how others go about training for survival when square range shooting is not an option.

8 Likes

I learned years ago shooting competitions that the first shot was, while slightly aimed, a remembered shot. I knew guys who could almost shoot the steel challenge blindfolded. You knew where the target was so no need to aim, it was remembered. When you were young you got a ball caught in a tree. You went in to dad or mom, told her the issue, and when they asked where, you merely pointed, mind you, without looking, directly at at. Practice the following, air soft first. Set up a target, turn, and eyes closed, engage. In time, go to your edc and see the results. You’ll be amazed at what you’re capable of. Practice this indoors with a laser system till you pick a target, look away, and eyes closed engage. After a week or two you’ll be holding a 8” group at 7 yrs. Without looking.

7 Likes

I used to have an outdoor range where anything goes.

I practiced live fire drawing from concealed, shooting from prone, on my back, dynamic (shooting while moving to cover). One handed, off handed, and f**k I just layed down in a thorn patch!

Turns out I’m decent at putting my 1st point shoot shot on target from almost any position! :grin::sunglasses:

The follow up shots drifted a lot though.:fearful:

Can’t shoot there anymore (fracking operations moved in down range, aka rule 4)

7 Likes

The guys I’ve trained with have a few courses set up, on that is mainly cars and trucks. One that has a couple of framed structures for room entry and clearing and one that has the slots and corners, places you have to lay down but shoot at something above grade, reach over and shoot below your feet etc. These guys are in the business so they take it really serious, to me, it was cool but pretty much just a novelty.

5 Likes

My brothers and I would always do weird shots from different positions. My one brother had a thing for throwing a can then shooting it while it was still in the air. How about laying under a vehicle and shooting a target 25 feet away? or having to shoot 90 degrees to the side at a target? While sitting? Oh yeah, 10 feet from a opening the size of a window and a target 30 feet from the opening? 30 feet in the air on a tree shooting at targets at different distances? Laying on your back and shooting upside down at a target. Just a few things we have done.

7 Likes

There’s a major lack of outdoor ranges around here to practice live fire odd shooting positions, but one drill I always do at my indoor range is waist level, unsighted point shooting with my pocket revolver. I start holding the gun at my side in the same relative position as if it were in my pocket (no firing from a draw here), finger outside the trigger guard. When the shot timer goes off I bring it horizontal and place two shots center mass from 3 yards. This gives me a very close simulation to, say, standing pumping gas with my hand in my pocket on the grip of the revolver, and suddenly needing it NOW. I do all kinds of dry fire practice at home, but I do need to find a place to do live fire drills that involve moving and shooting from cover/concealment.

4 Likes

The NRA’s advanced course to Personal Protection Outside the Home includes a variety of shooting positions beyond basic draw-aim-fire, going well beyond both USCCA CCHDf and NRA Basics of Pistol Shooting and Defensive Pistol courses. Currently, it appears that USCCA courses do not cover such drills. However, the new USCCA Training Director (retired FBI Training Center Director) is in the process of updating advanced training to replace the no-longer-offered Defensive Shooting Fundamentals (DSF) classes. I hope the new program includes such training.
In the meantime, there are advanced instructors around the country who have their own such classes. I took a couple years ago that included firing for sitting position, and from the ground. both on belly and on your back and side.

5 Likes

Hunting… Handgun, Rifle and Shotgun. :deer:

4 Likes

I have, and red dots are fantastic for this. Especially when accuracy is involved, such as drills that require hitting roughly 5" circle at 10+ yards, or hitting the eyebox at 7-10 yards

Awkward positions are less awkward when you don’t have to align a front sight with a rear sight and see down them to a blurry target as you focus on the front sight…but you still get to actually aim and be precise

3 Likes

i have my own range, we have many targets some move some stand still some pop up you never know where the target is going to be or if its friend or foe or how far from the target you maybe. i’m at my range 3x days a week and train with three firearms shotgun, 45 and 9mm, an ar15. all i can say is train train train the best you can with what you have.

5 Likes

I’m lucky enough to have a designated range area on BLM land near me. There are a number of berms for handgun shooting as well as several long range areas for rifles. It allows for me and my friends to run pretty much any training scenario we want.

7 Likes

I have some nearby gravel pits where I can practice different positions as well as draw, move and shoot. But a lot of this can be practiced at home with a SIRT pistol or laser cartridge.

5 Likes

Prone position pistol shooting: What are the benefits of training?

Firearm Training

Jan 2021

1 / 41

Jan 2021

Mar 2021

Johnnyq60USCCA Certified Instructor

Jan 2021

Pistol Shooting Drill - Tactical Tuesday- Pistol Shooting Tips

Learning how to shoot a pistol from a prone position is essential because you become a smaller target, in a firefight you can be wounded and forced to shoot from the ground. This video is very informative and a good source of training. What are your opinions?

3 Likes

I would venture to say I spend MOST of my time shooting from less than optimal and unorthodox shooting positions. Just standing in the classic stance and shooting at measured distances got boring a long time ago so I play games and scenarios in my mind and execute them on the ground. Standing, prone back between my legs, on my sides, under my Jeep using my wheels as cover, from inside my car, over the hood, from behind doors, moving in every direction… the only limit is my imagination.

I will even say that if your current shooting place does not allow you to do this, work HARD to find a place that does. I consider this essential skills.

5 Likes

This.

Also, have trained at live fire shoot houses. MAG40 does a little bit of awkward shooting stuff.

5 Likes