Heard it but not in print - Yet

Heard on the TV news, a person died from a gun shot wound at a local indoor range today. I can’t find it on any E-News sites yet.
The report said it appeared to be self inflicted but they don’t know if it was an accident or on purpose.

5 Likes

No details, just location of the range and under investigation. Others in the range tried to save him.

11 Likes

Sad whether suicide or accidental death.
Failure to get emotional help or proper training.

8 Likes

It’s unfortunate how fast a good day can turn to ■■■■ :pensive:

8 Likes

Yup, This sucks, Head wounds will do that.

5 Likes

Thanks for finding that @Craig_AR!

1 Like

This is horrible news. I hate to see things like this happen. I really don’t know how to feel about it, whether to feel worse if it was a suicide as opposed to an accident. Helping our citizens with mental health issues should be at the top of the list of priorities in our society. :sweat:

3 Likes

I have talked to my gun range, and it is a thing of renting a gun and going into a range and committing suicide. It is just sad!

1 Like

Exactly the thing happened here, a 14 yo boy, so in front of his parents or whatever adults he was with.

This has been a well known problem for ranges for decades. Years ago a gun store in Virginia i used regularly had the rule that a solo customer could not shoot on their range unless military or law enforcement. Everyone else had to bring a companion along to use the range.

2 Likes

I meant it messes up everyone’s day, possibly life, that was there. The shop i work at has an indoor range, and I am in the RSO rotation when there. It’s my favorite part, but having had and witnessed altercations with people, and having seen some peoples’ mannerisms while on the range puts me on edge. On one hand I get to meet people who have the same intrests as me and shoot the sh!t, and I get the opportunity to se new firearms i haven’t before. … on the other hand, i have to be ready for the possible murderer, random psyco, suicidal individual, or a combination of those. We’ve had, on more than one occasion, someone want to rent a gun and buy one bullet… a person that came in, rented a gun, shot for hours, and put the last one in his head…a person that brought their significant other to shoot, and the first 4 rounds of their turn, put 4 in center mass of their significant other…Our rule is first time shooters cant rent unless they are with someone due to the possibility of suicide. Not that that helps much, but it’s something. How do you really stop someone set on something?

3 Likes

Brother,
No Joke here
I understand, But it’s out of our hands
I always say I’m not Religious/a Church goer etc etc
But I’ve got ‘GOD’ somehow/Somewhere I GOT it and I am grateful.
We can’t stop EVIL, We just can’t
We can do our best as human’s to help people, be there for them but a person bent
on Killing themselves, or others is beyond our control. You can rule and regulate people
but FREE WILL prevails. If someone is determined to Suicide or Murder we can only react.
And unfortunately it’s usually going to be after the fact.
A guy came into to the Bernalillo County Courthouse (My first day) years ago.
He looked fine, well dressed, Neat appearance etc. A fellow Guard saw him and under his
breath said uh oh… I tensed and drew my weapon (not knowing the target, but my Training officer did the same and I had his back. The gentlemen drew his piece, extended his arms and was going to start firing on the Courts crowd. He hesitated for a split second (making sure he later said) and dropped the guy, One round to the head!. He was the only fatality/Victim that day. Iraq/Afghanistan Vet saw the look, read the signs for the Tali’s suicide bombers: Overtly calm (too calm), Scanning for the right position (to do Max damage?) .
talk about situational Awareness Brother. We are NOT mind readers, but we can lull ourselves to sleep.
Jus know the frustration is felt w/ many people in your position.
The only thing I try to do is be awake and minimize the damage if EVIL rears it’s ugly head.

So ends sermon for the day.

6 Likes

No, that’s chest wounds. :rofl:

4 Likes

Because those types have no history of suicide… Rules for thee and not for me never make sense.

That, I can understand as you do not have any knowledge of that individual, but as you stated, will still not stop someone determined to do something bad/stupid.

4 Likes

I can think of 2 ranges here in central Florida that having 2 people as a req to rent a firearm. Families need to learn the signs of depression and other mental issues of their loved ones.

4 Likes

Sometimes it’s not that easy. When I was younger, my best friend (someone i had been friends with since 2nd grade, in our early 20s at the time) was struggling with some things. One day he calls and says he’s going to visit family. I thought that was strange because all his family that i knew of lived in our town…but anything is possible. I told him to be careful and I hope he has a great time. 6 hours later, his sister calls and tells me he killed himself. No note, no nothing. We will never know what was wrong or if it could have been fixed. He never was sad, never unhappy, never let anything bother him, no drugs, no nothing. As a matter of fact, i was always envious of his ability to always be happy and how he was so hard to stir. Looking back, i guess it’s that saying about the grass… Rip, my friend :broken_heart:

4 Likes

I’m sorry for your loss Brother.

3 Likes