Fatalities from carelessness…

There has been a rash of severe and often fatal accidents caused by IRRESPONSIBLE gun owners in the Atlanta, GA area the last few months. Had 5 alone this past week. I emphatically urge all of us RESPONSIBLE Gun owners to encourage each and every gun owner they know, to make sure they are keeping their firearms LOCKED in a quality safe, and not stuffed in a draw under your clothes or on a shelf higher than you “think” a child can’t reach, and if for some reason (I don’t know of a legitimate one) PLEASE do not leave your firearm LOADED! Just yesterday in Atlanta there were 3 little kids shot- one a four year old another two in one of those nap called accidents… in one case the owner of the firearm was arrested and charged with a slew of items including trying to coverup the accident. If a person can afford a handgun, they can afford a small safe ( can get one in numerous places for $75 or even less) NO EXCUSES… don’t know about y’all, but I’m sick and tired of watching the news and the lead story is ANOTHER SENSELESS LOSS OF LIFE… ANOTHER CHILD is dead because of an IRRESPONSIBLE FIREARM owner. Please encourage everyone you know that owns a handgun to please make sure they are locking that firearm in a safe when it’s not on them, I’m use… Our children are counting on us, all the RESPONSIBLE Gun owners to educate the owners who are not. Please help whenever you possibly can. Thanks everyone.

14 Likes

There are responsible ways to store a loaded firearm.

20 Likes

All of my firearms are in a safe and some are loaded. I often take them out to wipe down and oil them and that’s when I unload them. Afterwards the are returned to the safe.

10 Likes

Good to hear Johnny. Safety is critical and practicing it everyday is a must. Sounds like you have a sound practice in place. It’s so frustrating and quite sad when you hear these stories about children being killed by their own sibling- like this four year old and two year old I’m Atlanta. I just hope that anyone who reads my post will just talk to one person they know and make sure they are doing something like you’re doing- keeping your firearm locked up and safely away from any children. Take care and thanks for responding.
Don

2 Likes

I talk to a lot of new gun owners or those interested in becoming a gun owner, and this is always the first thing I talk to them about. Unfortunately, I think it is an important part of gun ownership that goes overlooked.

7 Likes

That’s awesome Tim. Thanks for your reply. Appreciate your input and all your efforts to help educate new Gun owners. Take care and have a great 2021.
Don

3 Likes

That’s great @Tim.D_USCCA :+1:

None of us know what we don’t know, so making sure everyone knows is a great thing.

Even the “loop lock” that comes with every new gun is safer than no lock. The economical trigger lock is what I used with no accidents for many years. It obviously doesn’t stop someone from stealing your firearm(s) but it does keep busy hands safe. The next step up for me was a $25 Sentry safe. I still use it every now and then.

https://www.amazon.com/SentrySafe-H0100-Fireproof-Waterproof-Cubic/dp/B00GE586CY/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?crid=1ZE4ZP0EZYW8F&dchild=1&keywords=sentry+safe&qid=1631750905&sprefix=Sentry+&sr=8-9

Edit: OK, they have gone up to $30 now, but still don’t look like a gun safe

5 Likes

Thanks for the information Gary. Appreciate your response. Take care and have a great 2021.
Don

3 Likes

I’m going to go out on a limb here, and suggest that there is no one-size-fits-all solution to gun safety. I’ll go further, and state that a locked and unloaded gun has little to zero value in defense of life and home.

Broadly and absolutely stating that gun owners who do not lock and unload their weapons when not in use are irresponsible is a naive and objectionable characterization of many of your forum compatriots. In fact, it resonates more as an anti-gunner’s moral condemnation than anything else.

I have at least one firearm loaded and immediately accessible 24x7. I am not an “irresponsible gun owner,” nor have I ever stuffed my loaded firearm in a drawer under my clothes, or hidden it high on a shelf. I’ll comfortably wager that in this regard, I am far from alone here.

As @OldGnome said, “There are responsible ways to store a loaded firearm,” and he’s absolutely correct.

11 Likes

Thank you for sharing your insight on this topic. I used to be one of those irresponsible gun owners back when I was much younger who thought I did not need a safe until I had my gun in the top of my closet in between my stack of jeans. I tried to grab a pair of jeans from the middle of the stack and almost got hit in the top of my head by my handgun. I realized that it was time to store it properly.

3 Likes

My sincere thanks Calvin. I appreciate you sharing your own experience. Take care and have a great 2021.
Don

2 Likes

Alces, you obviously have not read my entire comments and the replies. My sole intention is to bring attention to the horrible tragedies that are becoming way too commonplace in the city I noted, and elsewhere around our country. I never said to unload your firearm and leave yourself defenseless. I emphatically said how important it is to NOT leave a loaded firearm where a young child could get at it and in the case I mentioned in Atlanta involving a 4 year old and 2 year old. In the last month there have been numerous occurrences just like this one and sadly some of this young, innocent children have lost there lives. In EVERY case these tragedies could have been avoided. Quite frankly I am offended by your comments that brought you to the anti gun comment. HOW IS ASKING RESPONSIBLE GUN OWNERS TO HELP EDUCATE THOSE THAT ARE NOT anti gun? MY comments were in NO way, shape or form political as you have noted. My concern is for our children and other innocent people. Common sense. To be crystal clear, a locked, unloaded gun, in a safe or not is of zero value to the owner whose objective is to protect themselves and their families. But a loaded gun, left where a child can get it, is plain irresponsible and can have catastrophic consequences- as the cases I noted. A loaded firearm in a holster, that you are wearing, or a loaded firearm in your quick access safe, in your residence is of great value to you in your efforts to protect yourself and your family. In closing, just an FYI, I am a Veteran that served way back in the mid 70’s, a firm believer and supporter of our Constitution, including the second amendment, I also have had a concealed carry permit for many years, practice with my firearms regularly, never stop learning, and in my residence my firearms, when not physically on my body, in a quality holster- which is another tool for responsible Gun owners, are in a quick access safe- FULLY LOADED. Alces, there’s no politics involved in my comments… only genuine concern for the safety of defenseless children. When you hear or see on the news that a child was killed by their sibling with a gun… a gun that the ADULT GUN OWNER carelessly left where the child could get it, makes my blood boil and my heart ache… because in every single one of these senseless, careless, irresponsible tragedies… were AVOIDABLE if the adult was a RESPONSIBLE GUN OWNER.
Alces, my apologies if my response is a little strong, but your “resonates as an anti gunners moral condemnation” was SO FAR OFF BASE from my actual comments. Take care and have a great 2021…
Don

6 Likes

Alces, you obviously have not read my entire comments and the replies. My sole intention is to bring attention to the horrible tragedies that are becoming way too commonplace in the city I noted, and elsewhere around our country. I never said to unload your firearm and leave yourself defenseless. I emphatically said how important it is to NOT leave a loaded firearm where a young child could get at it and in the case I mentioned in Atlanta involving a 4 year old and 2 year old. In the last month there have been numerous occurrences just like this one and sadly some of this young, innocent children have lost there lives. In EVERY case these tragedies could have been avoided. Quite frankly I am offended by your comments that brought you to the anti gun comment. HOW IS ASKING RESPONSIBLE GUN OWNERS TO HELP EDUCATE THOSE THAT ARE NOT anti gun? MY comments were in NO way, shape or form political as you have noted. My concern is for our children and other innocent people. Common sense. To be crystal clear, a locked, unloaded gun, in a safe or not is of zero value to the owner whose objective is to protect themselves and their families. But a loaded gun, left where a child can get it, is plain irresponsible and can have catastrophic consequences- as the cases I noted. A loaded firearm in a holster, that you are wearing, or a loaded firearm in your quick access safe, in your residence is of great value to you in your efforts to protect yourself and your family. In closing, just an FYI, I am a Veteran that served way back in the mid 70’s, a firm believer and supporter of our Constitution, including the second amendment, I also have had a concealed carry permit for many years, practice with my firearms regularly, never stop learning, and in my residence my firearms, when not physically on my body, in a quality holster- which is another tool for responsible Gun owners, are in a quick access safe- FULLY LOADED. Alces, there’s no politics involved in my comments… only genuine concern for the safety of defenseless children. When you hear or see on the news that a child was killed by their sibling with a gun… a gun that the ADULT GUN OWNER carelessly left where the child could get it, makes my blood boil and my heart ache… because in every single one of these senseless, careless, irresponsible tragedies… were AVOIDABLE if the adult was a RESPONSIBLE GUN OWNER.

3 Likes

Hey @Don_J,

My apologies if I mis-interpreted your comments (I did read them all, by the way). No one wants a child to be killed or injured by way of an entirely avoidable act, and I’m certainly not disagreeing that when children are in the picture, extraordinary safety measures need to be taken.

But let me address at least two parts that prompted my original response:
Although your motivation obviously comes from wanting to protect children from accidents with guns, this is a rather absolute statement:

[quote=“Don_J, post:1, topic:76412”]
I emphatically urge all of us RESPONSIBLE Gun owners to encourage each and every gun owner they know, to make sure they are keeping their firearms LOCKED in a quality safe…
[/quote] [emphasis added]

I don’t see anything addressing children here. So the implication is responsible gun owners lock their guns in a safe, while those who do not are irresponsible.

Continuing that there’s no legitimate reason to leave a firearm loaded:

Sounds a lot like being defenseless through unloading one’s firearm.

I’ll concede that, especially with your additional comments, you meant this all in the context of children being present in the home, more to the effect of “I don’t know of any legitimate reason to leave a loaded firearm stuffed under your clothes in your drawer if there are children in the house.” Expressed that way, I would agree.

As to politics, it’s absolutist sentiment such as: responsible gun ownership means keeping your guns at home unloaded and locked in a safe, that lead to anti-2A regulation, things the Left likes to call “common sense gun law.” So when casting about “responsible,” and “irresponsible” gun ownership commentary, it’s important to qualify the context – at least I think it is. Otherwise, it does resonate with the Left’s anti-gun messaging. Even among American gun owners, 90% agree that firearms should be unloaded and locked in a safe while at home. (Okay, that’s a made up quote, but we’ve all seen something similar in MSM.)

Anyway, I hope that clarifies the perspective in my original reply. No offense intended; again, I’m sure we’re all in agreement that children should never suffer from negligence with regard to firearm safety. Have a great day.

2 Likes

Encouraging ALL responsible Gun owners to ask them to encourage everyone they know that owns a firearm to make sure they are locked up and not left sitting out somewhere LOADED, where a child can get it is exactly what I said. You cannot break up a complete paragraph and a thought and make something other than it’s true intent. That’s how the news depending on what station you’re watching can make the same exact story have the meaning they want or need it to be politically. We see it all the time. A statement is shown and sounds terrible and then they play the entire statement and it completely different… my point was very simple and direct and has zero political involvement as I already said.
The rash of children dying from the irresponsible handling of firearms has been increasing - as I mentioned the story the other day in Atlanta where a 4&2 year old child were involved in a firearm accident… anyway, it appears we are on the same page, just some misunderstanding of what I said - in fact I have received numerous comments from this posting and all have been positive, encouraging and supportive. I am a gun enthusiast, a well trained individual who practices both the use of a firearms the safe handling of one… You sound like a responsible Gun owner as well. Sorry for the confusion and for any misunderstanding of my intent. Have an awesome day…
Don

3 Likes

With all the new first time gun buyers it would be nice to see gun dealers ask if folks have a safe to store it in. This would be a great potential add on sale for them and a good educational moment for the gun buyer.

Maybe the USCCA could reach out to dealers getting them to recommend and offer safe storage options as well as training options to all gun buyers. I have never once been asked or offered these when making a purchase and have seen many obvious newbies walk out the door without the slightest clue how to deal with their new purchase.

2 Likes

I think this suggestion has been raised before in more than a couple of threads. Yeah, it would be a great thing to ask, the whole safety part of ownership.

The only thing I was asked when I bought my first was “Don’t you want some bullets to go with that?”

2 Likes

What an awesome idea. Thank you so much for your reply. This makes perfect sense.
Every gun dealer, every pawn shop that sells firearms and retail outlets.
Just “use” the old McDonald’s script
Would you like fries and a coke to go with your burger?
Dealers especially could make it a part of what would be the “Complete” sale
Purchase a firearm… purchase a safe to keep the firearm properly stored when not on your person… lastly, can we assist you with any training?
Your idea is terrific and hopefully Tim and his staff will look into perhaps partnering up and offering the many services the USCCA has.
We can ADD a fourth item to that script for dealers…

1. Purchase Firearm
  2. Purchase Safe
  3. Get some training
  4. Protect yourself and your family with the plan that fits your needs and is affordable for you. (Gold, Platinum)
    I’m going to send Tim an email and reference our communication and the great idea you sent in your reply to my post. I know quite a few Firearm Dealerships, a few with rather large stores- full retail shop, lots of guns of all kinds, safes, other equipment and a range- (training) what an awesome opportunity this (your idea) presents to everyone of these owners.
    It was great hearing from you. Take care, stay safe and have a great 2021!
    Don
5 Likes

@Don_J and @Shamrock this has sparked some pretty awesome ideas, and I definitely urge you to continue spreading the word and getting others on board with these ideas.

I am personally going to roll this idea up as well for a potential partnership that the USCCA may be able to get involved in, in the future. (Never any promises, but the feedback that we provide does not go ignored)

1 Like

The gun is no good to you in the home if it is unloaded and locked up. Yes. children should not be able to get to the guns.

3 Likes