Hard or soft holster?

I know people who swear by Kydex holsters and others who swear by sticky holsters. Do you prefer a hard holster or a soft holster? And is it dependent on how you’re carrying (IWB/OWB)?

2 Likes

For me it not only depends on how I am carrying but what I am wearing and what I am carrying.

If it is OWB I am more prone to hard case made for that weapon with more than a snap for retention. IWB will depends on location the gun is in. 4:30 to 7:30 I am more prone to go with a soft case.

9:00 though 3:00 (going clockwise from 9) I have not really done a lot of, until recently I had not found a case I liked for those positions. A friend showed me one he had for those positions and I might give it a try.

For my shoulder rigs, I have never tired a true hard case but might consider it if I found one that I was able to try on and it felt good.

1 Like

Hybrids. I like a softer material like leather against my skin, and a hard shell for the gun. It makes reholstering much easier.

3 Likes

No real perfect answer here. If I’m OWB it’s always gonna be a kydex holster, IWB 90% it’s a kydex tho I carry in my truck with a sticky holster so there is the rare occasion I’ll use the sticky holster at 6 o’clock to run into the gas station or store real quick. Usually on my to or from work. I can’t carry at work so I dont bring my holster. The sticky holster keeps the trigger covered and fits great in my lock box.

1 Like

You’re right, there’s not going to be a one size fits all. But with different answers people will consider something they hadn’t thought of before.

1 Like

I like hard holsters for Glocks, I usually carry a 19. If it doesn’t have a safety or a long hard trigger pull, it’s going in kydex to help and try to prevent a ND.

2 Likes

I prefer kydex and it does not depend on how I carry. I have owned both iwb and owb, there was no difference.

1 Like

I carry owb in winter a 1791 leather holster summer alien gear iwb for my shield 9

2 Likes

Yeah I have a carbon fiber hybrid. I bought it on a whim, turns out to be my absolutely favorite. Good thick leather. It’s banging.recommend it to a friend.

3 Likes

I have both. A Sticky for my Kel-Tec P-11, and a Crossbreed IWB SuperTuk for my Glock 19 Gen 5!

I have a 1791 4 way. The only thing I don’t like is the cant. The pistol is straight up and down. I prefer fbi can’t for ease of concealability. I do carry it daily. It’s easier to get on and off than my hybrid.

I do prefer the Crossbreed though!

I agree completely 45IPAC! My Crossbreed holster is that way.20181216_232609

1 Like

Jeff,

Mind if I ask what you use for IWB and position? I have a Stoeger STR 9 which is just a little bigger than a Glock 19. Just like a Glock it has no external safety so I absolutely want to make sure the trigger is covered.

I don’t have my CCW yet and want to practice with a holster I would be carrying with before I do.

I like the Kydex holster that came with it but it is OWB. If I wear a sport coat or light jacket it doesn’t print to bad. If I wear with a T shirt you can clearly make it out.

Any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated.

Marty

Martin, I have several holsters from Vedder. I use their claw attachment, which can be added at the time you order. I carry between 3-4 o’clock.

I go up one size on t-shirts and usually up 2 inches on waist of pants or shorts I’m wearing. I do recommend an actual gun belt. I have a Vedder cobra belt and a bigfoot leather belt, depending on dress and occasion.

Here’s a link to their site, usually it’ll pop up with a game you can play, “spin the wheel”, for a discount after you enter your email. They do frequent sales too, may even have one for labor day, but I haven’t checked the email I signed up with for a few days.

1 Like

Jeff thanks. I will check them out. There are so many different companies that all claim to be the best it is difficult to sort through.

Greatly appreciate the help.

Marty

Your very welcome.