Handguns for left handed people

Ever notice your choices are limited when looking for a fully ambidextrous handgun?
When a sales clerk recommended a revolver the first time, my response was the cylinder release was on the wrong side and not easy to manipulate.
When checking out semi-auto, some are out there, but most are full size. I’ve never been able to manipulate slide release on one that’s not ambi.
If it’s empty, because clerk has locked slide, I have to drop mag, then release the slide. I have to be able to switch mag release to other side or I accidentally drop mag while gripping the firearm.
The frustrations of being a southpaw, do others out there share my grief?

4 Likes

I’m not a southpaw, and thus, have not had that struggle, but I do have a firearm suggestion for you. See if you can find and try the IWI Masada. The slide lock/release lever is pretty pronounced and is the same on both sides. Mag release on both sides as well. Trigger is decent (not great, but not bad). Sights seemed off to me and several other people I know to be very good shooters, but I had a discussion with an IWI rep and was told to try using the dots for point of aim instead of the sight post (this being how the Israeli’s zero the gun) and that worked 100%. I then put a dot on it so it doesn’t much matter. He also said they use Sig sights so I can just replace with a 6/8 setup and be back to what I’m used to. This is a range gun for me, and fairly new, so I can’t speak to reliability or carry easiness. I’m going to add a couple of pictures and hopefully they show what I’m talking about as far as the ambi goes.

3 Likes

I know that a lot of FN pistols, like my FNS9C have an ambidextrous mag release. Have you looked into any FN firearms?

2 Likes

@JustinK That’s a nice configuration! Let us know how you like it as you get more time on it. Putting it on the list for my lefty students.

1 Like

Don’t like the trigger. My Glock 45 is fully ambi. What I dont like is there isn’t any compact that are ambi.

2 Likes

I like my P365, moved mag release to right side. I can work it without using slide release just fine. It would be nice to have.

2 Likes

As a lefty I’ve been struggling with this problem for few months.
Right now I care about mag release only. All other functions can be easily adopted for left hand operations.
I accept pistols with swapable mag release or paddle style only.
One exception - 1911… nothing to do here :wink:

4 Likes

The new Canik TP Elite SC has a reversible mag release and the ambi slidelock… JUST picked mine up and haven’t had a chance to shoot it yet, but I’ve got quite a crush going on the TP platform.

The SC is 12+1 or 15+1 doublestack so it’s not a tiny gun, but it is compact or sub compact.

http://www.canikusa.com/tp9-elite-sc/

FEATURES

• Interchangeable back strap in 2 sizes (small and large)
  • Blackout rear and phosphorous front white dot sight
  • Micro red-dot interface with co-witness feature
  • Striker status indicator
  • Ambidextrous slide stop
  • Loaded chamber indicator
  • Front slide serrations
  • Reversible magazine release
  • Integral accessory picatinny rail (MIL-STD-1913)
  • Tungsten Cerakote over nitride slide finish
  • Match grade nitride coated barrel
  • Small parts and internal components nitride or high-wear nickel-coated
  • The TP9 Elite SC comes with two magazines: one 12rd +optional finger rest base plate and one 15rd with extended baseplate. Also included are toolbox, user manual and a concealed carry holster with reversible clips for IWB and OWB use.

5 Likes

I’m left handed and got the Ruger SR9c. At first glance people will say the slide release is not ambidextrous, but if you read the manual the slide also releases by pulling it back after loading the mag.

3 Likes

:smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp:
:ok_hand:

2 Likes

Verified Southpaw. My new Glock, Gen 5, is an easy solution. Slide release on both sides and easily swapped mag release. You will need to make sure you are using magazines that are notched on both sides. FNH Handguns are also great. Don’t shy off because of the MSRP. Just monitor prices and buy on-sale. Been issued Rightpaw firearms for a chunk of my life and had to adapt/overcome. Semper-Gumby and all that.

3 Likes

I try to buy handguns that can be switched and made southpaw friendly. But, it has never stopped me from acquiring one that lacked such. In the beginning, I didn’t know you could do those kind of manipulations. With enough training, you can learn to use any handgun effectively. The closest we lucky lefties will get is Ambi features BUT at least we’re right-minded. :v:t5:

2 Likes

Shot the baby Canik today… just going to say It Is SWEET :heart_eyes:

I would seriously be looking at this one for lefties as a high capacity carry gun.

4 Likes

I am also left-handed. I had an armorer switch the mag release on one of my previous guns, but I could never get used to working it with my thumb. Too much time spent over a lifetime of getting used to right-handed tools, I guess. I still use my index finger on the mag release.

I have gotten used to brass flying past my glasses.

I’m looking for a semi-auto rifle and shotgun that won’t eject past my face. Either down or to the left. It’s been a long, hard search. Any ideas?

2 Likes

Shotgun, Browning BPS or an old Ithaca model 37. John M. Browning design, bottom eject and high quality. Unsure about rifle😏

2 Likes

@Dwayne - thanks for the Browning reminder,

I loved my father’s old Browning semi-auto, except for the shells breezing past my glasses. The BPS is a pump, and I’d prefer a semi-auto.

2 Likes

My problem is this I am a lefty, but for instance when I through a ball it’s right handed, when I play pool I shoot right. Plus the other problem is I have big hands for a woman, so the gun I have is a Skye CPX2. My husband got it for me. I hate I have gotten bit several times and do not like the kick back. My brother said I need to get a fire arm that is a bit heavier and a little big bigger. I am going to check out the Canic. Then the fun part. Come when I have to get a holster. Right now I have one called “Sticky…”. Your body heat holds it in place but I am not too comfortable with it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2 Likes

@Ladywatkins59… first of all it is not a problem at all to be lefty… or partially lefty. Treat this as the gift and advantage. This is what I do. People see me as right handed, but actually I’m lefty and nobody expects the firearm in my left hand. This trick works perfectly :wink:

Regarding your handgun… SCCY CPX2 is not a great tool. If you don’t like its recoil, bigger and heavier firearm is what you need.
Canik is a great option, check Walther or H&K - all 3 are fully ambidextrous.
Rent, shoot and decide.
Sticky holster… hmmm, if you follow safety rules and know main reasons for negligent discharges you should stay away from them. Go with molded holster for the gun you choose.
Good luck !

2 Likes

That’s beautiful

2 Likes

Thank you very much. Seems to be a pretty good gun so far, fantastic for the price. I haven’t put a ton of rounds through it so far, but it’s functioned great with those I have.

1 Like