Handguns but no ARs

This is a fine example of exactly how we misjudge risk :wink:

Risk evaluation is what I do for a living, so here’s how this works:
Survivability is only relevant in terms of the likelihood of that event occurring, and the frequency of the particular severity actually happening.

If a thing might happen, how likely is it to happen to you? If it happens, how likely is it to kill you?
If a thing never happens, it doesn’t matter if it can kill you. If a think happens often, but the odds of dying from it are vanishingly low, it doesn’t matter if it can kill you. And yet, our brain still screams “BUT YOU COULD DIE!”

Cars vs. airplanes in 2017:

• The Aviation Safety Network reported there were no commercial passenger jet deaths in 2017.
  • The National Safety Council estimated that 40,100 people were killed in 2017 car accidents.

Regardless of how much you like your odds, your chances of dying in a commercial plane crash in 2017 was NONE. Your risk of dying in a car crash? Definitely not none. And yet you spent a great deal of time in cars and probably never thought “for the next 3 hours, I’d be safer if I was in a plane.”

You feel safer in a car. That is a misperception of risk, and it is what our brains do… it’s wired in.

This is a really good example of why it’s so hard to get people who are afraid of even being in the same room with a gun to understand that its not the gun that’s dangerous. Their brain is using its naturally wiring to shout alarms and they cannot hear us when we say the gun is not the problem. They feel what they feel. They like their odds of being safe better when there are no guns than if there are guns present. Even though they are wrong about the risk, they still feel better about their odds.

This is exactly why they want to get rid of all guns, rather than addressing the issues with bad people who use them… they feel fear in the presence of guns, or even at the idea of guns, rather than understanding the proper object of that fear is people who misuse them. It is the misperception of risk that makes them so hard to even have a rational discussion with.

It is only by correcting that misperception of risk that they start to calm down and use their brains.

When we understand why a thing is happening, we can start to be effective at fixing it.

The media and anti-gun forces understand EXACTLY how this works - and they crank up the perceived risk about the wrong thing intentionally. It is a deliberate strategy, and I think it’s unlikely we can make them stop using it because it works extremely well. And we aren’t going to fix it by yelling “it’s not the guns” louder and more often, because that doesn’t address the “why” of why it works.

We are going to fix it by changing people’s ability to assess the risk for themselves. Hands-on experience. Take-an-anti-gun-friend-to-the-range efforts. Getting (non-agendized) gun safety programs in schools or in church or community programs. Open carry by the lawful. All those things work by giving people experiences that allow them to reevaluate their perception of risk.

7 Likes

… and the risk you perceive because you feel out of control in a plane (RISK!!RISK!!!) vs. feeling in control in a car (meh… I got this) is still wrong. Powerful, but wrong.

Risk of dying in a plane in 2017? 0%
Risk of dying in a car in 2017? definitely a lot higher than 0%

but to drag it back to the point I was trying to make:

When we understand why a thing is happening, we can start to be effective at fixing it.

If we understand the mechanism by which so many people are led to blame the gun instead of blame the bad guy, we can start to be effective in turning that around. To be effective in teaching others to see the misperception in their understanding of risk, its extremely helpful to be able to see the misperceptions in our own as well.

2 Likes

Zee, I appreciate your very cogent and informative response, and I respect your knowledge and experience in the field of risk management.

From my one and only class in statistics, taken decades ago during my misguided college phase, I remember the prof trying to explain the difference between possibility and probability. He said that while a particular event may have only a 30% probability of occurrence, it always retains a 100% possibility of occurrence. For whatever that’s worth.

I am personally uncomfortable with commercial flying. I do not try to dissuade anyone else from doing so if they wish. And I do truly understand the statistics. I simply choose to favor my comfort over the math. That being said, if there came a time when I absolutely HAD to be in NY or LA or Miami as soon as humanly possible, say for the sake of a loved one, I would be on a plane in a heartbeat and not give it a second thought. Short of that extremity, I prefer to stay on the ground and enjoy the journey.

My Luddite tendencies have been previously noted an brought to my attention. I am at peace with them.:hugs:

Regards.

1 Like

Probable is the real risk, possible is your gut screaming “but it could happen!”

When we regulate on the possible instead of the probable, our rights go down the tubes really really fast.

And… it’s the possible that makes people want to take all guns away.

If you have a bunch of ordinary law-abiding folks in a room with a gun, there’s almost no probability that a mass shooting will occur. But there’s still an extremely remote possibility that if one of them had an out-of-the-blue psychotic break, it could happen.

If you believe in probability as the indicator of real risk, then there is no cause to fear a mass shooting will break out and the presence of a gun needs no regulation.

If you believe in possibility as the indicator of real risk, to prevent a mass shooting you either have to remove all people from the room, or you have to remove the gun. And that’s how we we get anti-gun people.

BTW, @David38 I hate flying and go to pretty significant lengths to avoid it. Not because it isn’t safe, but because I hate being squeezed into a can with a lot of people I don’t know and probably wouldn’t like anyway. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8 Likes

Excellent work Zee.

1 Like

This is the very thing @Zee that I have been up against with the “anti-gun that owns a gun” mother of my girlfriend. Since both of us carry, she believes that the 100% probability of me carrying so I can shoot her. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

:woman_facepalming: yep, I hear you.

See, there’s your problem right there :wink:

The best relationship advice I think I ever got was to move at least 500 miles away from either set of in laws right after the wedding and don’t return for at least five years.:blush:

I should have taken it, might have saved my first marriage.

6 Likes

I’ve always thought of it this way: The speed limit is 55 mph, but my speedometer goes up to 120. Isn’t that “high capacity”, more than I need to get me from point A to point B? I could drive a Yugo, but I choose to drive a Chevy Silverado. The government is not telling me what I can drive to get around. If your friend wants to protect himself with a handgun, so be it. If you want to use an AR, go for it! The greatest thing about being an American is our freedom to choose and our freedom to own whatever we want. Let’s not screw that up by fighting over whether or not someone else should own a gun we might not choose to own or use.

8 Likes

Yeah, that right there!! Same reason I would NEVER go on a cruise.

However, as my father taught me, the length of time since a major incident (of any kind) simply means that we’re that much closer to the next one, and there will be a next one. Everyday the probability increases, even if infinitesimally. I’m probably safer flying that day after a major crash, 'cause what are the odds of two major crashes on consecutive days? Or, if I had to get on a plane, I’d feel much better if another passenger had the same birthday as me, or a consecutive SS number, or something like that, because what are the odds? :thinking:

I probably should have mentioned this sooner, but as an autodidact and self-proclaimed genius, I hold self conferred advanced degrees in Cognitive Dissonance and Oxymoron Reconciliation. I also have developed a somewhat…different… interpretation of life, the universe, and everything.:crazy_face:

Regards.

2 Likes

It took us a few years but we did that! Moved 500 miles away from her in-laws and my in-laws. (They lived about 5 miles apart at the time.) Best move we ever made; coming up on our 44th anniversary.

Regards

2 Likes

for you being in a plane crash? pretty much the same as if a plane containing you and an entire planeload of people born on your birthday were to crash :laughing:
but then, I’d suspect a government conspiracy… :thinking: :face_with_monocle:

See this is where we have a great deal in common:
:white_check_mark: Autodidact
:white_check_mark: genius :wink:
:white_check_mark: good with cognitive dissonance

the answer is “42”.
:grin:

but do you know WHY it’s 42? … hmmm…? :face_with_monocle:

3 Likes

Well, I don’t know exactly why, but they spent 75,000 generations figuring it out so they must be right. And I understand they did all that work in a 6 x 9 room!

Regards

2 Likes

rabbit hole warning…

which was pretty darn diligent of them :grin:
but actually… I think they were a little slow :wink:

In computers, one way of representing characters and letters in machine language is called “ASCII code”. The ASCII code for an asterisk “*” is … 042.
And pretty much you can use an * as a wildcard to stand in for Any.Thing.You.Want.

And there you have it… The answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything is… *

Best.Software.Insider.Joke.EVER.
Douglas Adams kicks a** :smile:

---- I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming ----

5 Likes

EXACTLY!!! That’s why I’m certain my unshakable belief in ******** will grant me everlasting ****** in a realms of *** paradise. Also, prophesy says that I will be ********** of the *********** less than **years from now.

Be nice to me.

Regards.

1 Like

LOL @David38 :joy::joy::rofl::rofl:

I will be nice to you, absolutely :rofl:

1 Like

Spread the word.

Regards.

1 Like

so here’s a case where the extremely improbable happened and it’s good that the homeowner was armed:

Good thread but I feel it misses a key point. Yes, we bear arms for self defense reasons but we also bear arms for the express purpose of guaranteeing the security of a free state. I carry a handgun for self protection and I own an AR to protect my country.

5 Likes

I love that. ^^^ Right there.

4 Likes