Handguns but no ARs

The answer is 42 but the question was destroyed by the Vogon’s right as it was about to be asked :crazy_face:

Cheers,

Craig6

Hi Liam, First of all I use my AR as one of my hunting rifles. As for defense a handgun is great at close quarters. I am a veteran and a former LEO. I would prefer my AR for certain defense positions more than a handgun. First I have the additional advantage of range. How far do I need to shoot? Second I have the perfect hand to hand firearm if the situation requires it. I also have the advantage if my cover position is less than perfect and need to penetrate objects. In my home I prefer a Shotgun, I carry most of the time including mowing my lawn. I live outside of town. No one firearm is perfect for all scenarios. I do not carry my AR it is locked up at home when I leave. Any firearm in the wrong hands is bad. But anyone with the correct training with a knife can walk the tree on a person in just seconds. I just hope you and I never have to experience this.

4 Likes

Since we are getting all historical

The 30-06 round was replaced not because it was too big but due to modern manufacturing and powder development created the 7.62x51 (.308) round that could sling the standard military boolet (147gr) at the same velocity in a smaller package in the late 40’s

Some genius stated that a little boolet going really fast created the same damage as a big boolet going slower, and they said you could carry more and shoot faster because it kicked less. This assessment ushered in the M-16A1 in the late 60’s

In the Mid 80’s the M-16A2 was fully fielded with a heavier/longer barrel, better sights a longer stock as well as a three round burst option.

Now we will get to he only reason I want to ever thank Bill Clinton. In 1994 the Assault Weapons Ban went into effect. That spawned the the revolution in the development of the AR-15 platform. From that moment on the developments and innovations that swept the AR industry went wild. Think about it, in August of 1994 if you wanted an AR-15, you could get an AR-15A1, and AR-15A2 or a Carbine all with iron sights. After the ban sunset the evolution exploded. Now AR-15’s are Lego’s for big kids. And as a guy who was “over there” I bolted some of that “civilian” stuff to my issue rifle a took it off when I left.

In total perspective the two main rifles that the gun grabbers are going after are 60 year old platforms, the only one that has become modular is the AR. As far as it goes I have a very nice AR pistol, so when th come for my “Assault Rifle” magazines, sorry those are for my pistol :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like

Love the sentiment, but I hope you’re not in CA… I know from personal experience that if a thing can be used in multiple platforms, and one of those platforms is made (post-purchase) illegal, then everything that can be used with the “illegal” platform all of a sudden is INTENDED for use with it and will be treated as such. The fact that it can just as easily be used with something else you own that is legal won’t matter one bit. :unamused:

1 Like

Self defense is part of keeping the free state secure.

I think what you are hinting at here is the fact that as long as we have an armed populace it helps to act as a deterrent against our own gov’t attempting to strip us of your rights indeed that too is a part of it.

Our focus here though is more specifically on self defense and carry so that’s what we lean towards in our discussions.

4 Likes

“A well-regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.” Militias are stood up in times of need and are made up of “the people.” Your friends focus of AR-15’s vis a vis self defense is short sighted. He/she sees no need to own a long gun for “self defense,” so why would anyone else? The Second Amendment provides for the protection of our rights to bear arms against tyrannical government action. If a by product of that right is the provision of an implement with which to hunt, target shoot, or defend oneself or others, it is just that, a by product. Any laws that restrict such ownership chips away at the underlying right protected by the 2nd Amendment.

Interestingly, the vast majority of violent criminal acts involving firearms deal with handguns, not long guns. Those who advocate banning long guns but say handguns are OK are dishonest. Handguns are next. Look at the UK and Commonwealth countries. Personal ownership of handguns is all but banned. Long gun purchase, possession, and use is highly restricted. Shotguns in most of those countries require some sort of licensing, and must not be semi automatic or pump action. Semi auto rifles other than rim fire are restricted or prohibited.

Rifles, including AR 15’s, are generally easier to shoot, more accurate than a hand gun, have a potentially higher ammunition capacity, and with practice can be used effectively in a home and urban environment.

Back to the second amendment. Banning civilian ownership of semi automatic rifles leve them in the hands of criminals AND the Government. Anyone watched the news lately re: Venezuela???

And so it goes…

5 Likes

“We must reject the idea that every time a law’s broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.”

-Ronald Reagan

8 Likes

I’m totally getting to this conversation late - here’s another article:

And really, if I shouldn’t have an AR, then people shouldn’t be able to have Maseratis or Bugattis - any car will do. And people shouldn’t be able to have an iPhone X - they can use a flip phone cause it makes calls.

It’s an old argument. :confused:

5 Likes

I may be able to give more reasons, but I’ll give the one that popped in my head first. In a case that I’m personally familiar with; It was early evening or dusk. My friend who lives in the country where very few cars pass by and it’s difficult to get past their front gate had one of his 2 young daughters come in and tell him there was a naked man walking around outside their house. So, to protect his family he armed himself and went out to confront the intruder. Apparently his AR was visible enough that the person ran and climbed up a tree. His wife had called 911 by this time, but there place is really hard to find. As he stood under the tree, the man kept saying “let me come done”. He and his gun said, “no way we’re waiting for the police”. Eventually police arrived and took the intruder away. I would call this the intimidating factor. My friend is disabled and I’m down right old so I might need an “equalizer” some day too. I don’t suppose I would carry one around all the time in the city, so I don’t own one yet. But, under various circumstances it might be a good choice.

2 Likes

Ultimately the point doesn’t matter… right? It’s freedom! :wink:

However, we mostly use our AR15s for fun… they are really fun to shoot, and both my husband and I use them in shooting competitions. However, Sean and I have also taken defensive carbine classes. I am not apt to sling one on and carry it around with me, but they are really great for home defense. (WHY? In a nutshell, AR15s are accurate and relatively lightweight, they have high ammo capacity and manageable recoil, and they are built to incorporate optics and lights for even more ease of use.)

6 Likes

And yes: I am right-handed with handguns and left handed with long guns!

3 Likes

That seems like it would be pretty convenient.

Having a conversation with a coworker who’s a hunter but not big on self defense. He’s not against it but doesn’t understand the point. So my point to him was that any and all laws apply to ALL citizens. Therefore how can the government tell me I can only have 10 rounds while they have upwards of 17. Lawmakers and law enforcement are not above the law. Therefore they too should fall within the laws set forth. That is how every other law and amendment apply.

4 Likes

man. even most anti-gunners “get” the idea of self defense. never heard of anyone not “understanding” the concept of self defense. that doesn’t make sense to me. what is there not to “get” about protecting your and your family’s life?

1 Like

@Liam I think a lot of times people just don’t think it can happen to them. Its foolish and naive, but comfortable.

Sometimes they are deliberately head-in-the-sand… blinders and magical thinking… “if I think about it, I’ll bring it into my life”… so they refuse to think about it.

Sometimes they simply can’t tolerate the idea that they might have to kill someone, they literally would rather die first.

If a really bad thing has never happened to you, or to someone you know, denial can be pretty easy.

7 Likes

I saw this in a meme somewhere and I actually had the opportunity to use it.

I was asked, “Why do you carry a gun? Are you afraid of being attacked?” To which I replied, “No, I’m not. But I’m not afraid of my house catching fire either and I still have a fire extinguisher.”

4 Likes

The AR is an extremely effective self defense weapon.

As for your read on “The Militia”, at the time of the drafting it was anyone, particularly males that could arm up and fight mainly against the French and Indian raids, and males only when the milita was called into active service for military operations.

Note too, that it is the “Militia” not “The People” that is to be “well regulated” and of course that simply meant “working properly” or “in good working order”.

A common example from the founding era, “A well regulated clock keeps proper time”.

4 Likes

The Second Amendment stands with your valuation that people can own whatever gun they choose.

3 Likes

@Beth - you and Sean always look like you’re having so much fun! :slight_smile:

I was in that mind-frame for a lot of my younger life. Having children was a turning point for me. I refused to let anyone put my children in danger of grave bodily harm or worse. But I still struggled with the idea that defending myself might take the life of another - and that wasn’t my intent.

It took me a very long time to rectify those thoughts in my head and heart. I don’t want to hurt anyone, but that doesn’t give them the right to take my life. I want to see my kids get married and have more grandkids and see the world. I’m not done living and I don’t want to hurt anyone, but I refuse to let someone take my life.

11 Likes

Thumbs up x10

1 Like