AR Or Shotgun for home defense

As with any self-defense encounter, events in the home have many variables and depend greatly on your specific situation. Which would you prefer if something went bump in the night?

10 Likes

Pistol to the shotgun, to the rifle.

But honestly, I prefer the 12 ga. pump action shotgun loaded with 00 buck.

Stay safe out there.

17 Likes

3 Likes

For me, I prefer a shotgun loaded with #4 buckshot. For my wife, an AR in a pistol caliber carbine configuration.

7 Likes

AR-9 Pistol in the closet that shares mags with the G17 on the nightstand.

7 Likes

12 gauge Rem 870 18.5" barrel 00 or 0000 buckshot. Backup 9mm PDP. No AR in my house yet.

4 Likes

12 ga. w/T steel shot(54 .20 cal. pellets) for main house gun w/.45 XDM as backup. I live in a residential area so the AK stays in the safe. :us:

2 Likes

I would choose AR over shotgun, I like the agility and the number of rounds (29) available over the (3-6) available in a shot gun.
My thought is, in the tight confines of a bathroom or a kitchen, the shorter the better. Swinging a long gun might be difficult and maybe a little bit slower than a hand gun. For that reason, I leave my AR locked up and keep my smaller tools available in the house.

5 Likes

First would be the hand gun Second the shot gun and then the AR. But all are VERY close by and more than one.

7 Likes

Handgun at handgun distances where there are significant long gun obstacles. I can think of special cases where I would prefer a shotgun or rifle, but they are just that — exceptions to an already low percentage threat.

4 Likes

AR15 Pistol 7.5 inch barrel 300AAC Blockout.

6 Likes

For now it’s 14.5" AR in 5.56. I just bought a Beretta 1301 tactical with the pistol and extended mag tube so it holds 7. It very light and I think with practice it will be my go to for inside the home. I think my wo

4 Likes

I don’t want to wake the neighbors or the lady of the house

23 Likes

With only those two options, my comfort level with an AR far exceeds my comfort with a shotgun. Comfort means the ability and confidence to handle, maneuver, aim, and generally run.

If I could run a shotty as well as I can run an AR, my answer may be different. A shotgun’s ability to stop a fight is pretty much unrivaled in typical home-defense distances.

7 Likes

If something went bump in the night, it’s shotgun, phone and AR. In that order. Flashlight is attached to all home defense weapons!

4 Likes

Pistol. I have no formal training with my AR. Shotgun experience is bird hunting. I guess if I had to defend my home against rogue pheasants I’d grab the 870.

3 Likes

@Sinbad Rogue Pheasants are REAL. :hushed:

8 Likes

You know these creatures well! I have no doubt they have these exact conversations.

2 Likes

Have a couple 12 gauges strategically located about the house, loaded with 00buck and 04buckshot. Have handled and fired ARs ,I guess they’re just out of my league. Guess always been a shotgun guy since my youth. Stay safe everybody :+1:

3 Likes

Its funny that you say that ARs are out of your league. I was in the Marine Corps during Viet Nam-- I was trained on the M16 platform… and when I bought my AR I thought “I got this”!!! NOT!!! I was out of my league! I just had to relearn everything… I got where you are coming from

4 Likes