AR Or Shotgun for home defense

As with any self-defense encounter, events in the home have many variables and depend greatly on your specific situation. Which would you prefer if something went bump in the night?

3 Likes

Pistol to the shotgun, to the rifle.

But honestly, I prefer the 12 ga. pump action shotgun loaded with 00 buck.

Stay safe out there.

8 Likes

2 Likes

For me, I prefer a shotgun loaded with #4 buckshot. For my wife, an AR in a pistol caliber carbine configuration.

2 Likes

AR-9 Pistol in the closet that shares mags with the G17 on the nightstand.

3 Likes

12 gauge Rem 870 18.5" barrel 00 or 0000 buckshot. Backup 9mm PDP. No AR in my house yet.

2 Likes

12 ga. w/T steel shot(54 .20 cal. pellets) for main house gun w/.45 XDM as backup. I live in a residential area so the AK stays in the safe. :us:

1 Like

I would choose AR over shotgun, I like the agility and the number of rounds (29) available over the (3-6) available in a shot gun.
My thought is, in the tight confines of a bathroom or a kitchen, the shorter the better. Swinging a long gun might be difficult and maybe a little bit slower than a hand gun. For that reason, I leave my AR locked up and keep my smaller tools available in the house.

2 Likes

First would be the hand gun Second the shot gun and then the AR. But all are VERY close by and more than one.

3 Likes

Handgun at handgun distances where there are significant long gun obstacles. I can think of special cases where I would prefer a shotgun or rifle, but they are just that — exceptions to an already low percentage threat.

1 Like

AR15 Pistol 7.5 inch barrel 300AAC Blockout.

2 Likes

For now it’s 14.5" AR in 5.56. I just bought a Beretta 1301 tactical with the pistol and extended mag tube so it holds 7. It very light and I think with practice it will be my go to for inside the home. I think my wo

2 Likes

I don’t want to wake the neighbors or the lady of the house

7 Likes

With only those two options, my comfort level with an AR far exceeds my comfort with a shotgun. Comfort means the ability and confidence to handle, maneuver, aim, and generally run.

If I could run a shotty as well as I can run an AR, my answer may be different. A shotgun’s ability to stop a fight is pretty much unrivaled in typical home-defense distances.

3 Likes

If something went bump in the night, it’s shotgun, phone and AR. In that order. Flashlight is attached to all home defense weapons!

2 Likes

Pistol. I have no formal training with my AR. Shotgun experience is bird hunting. I guess if I had to defend my home against rogue pheasants I’d grab the 870.

2 Likes

@Sinbad Rogue Pheasants are REAL. :hushed:

7 Likes

You know these creatures well! I have no doubt they have these exact conversations.

1 Like

Have a couple 12 gauges strategically located about the house, loaded with 00buck and 04buckshot. Have handled and fired ARs ,I guess they’re just out of my league. Guess always been a shotgun guy since my youth. Stay safe everybody :+1:

2 Likes

Its funny that you say that ARs are out of your league. I was in the Marine Corps during Viet Nam-- I was trained on the M16 platform… and when I bought my AR I thought “I got this”!!! NOT!!! I was out of my league! I just had to relearn everything… I got where you are coming from

1 Like