Ban Semi-Autos?

So…word on the internet is that New Mexico is planning to ban all semi-automatic rifles in the next legislative session.

Isn’t this a violation of the Heller decision? I’m I am remembering correctly, Heller says you can’t outright ban weapons in common use, and this law would seem to do exactly that, given that the AR-15 is the most commonly owned gun in the US and is semi-automatic.

3 Likes

Do you have an reference for the proposed ban? I didn’t see it in a quick Google search.

2 Likes

@LordDeinonychus I think that’s correct. Maybe we can get @MikeBKY or @Tom_Grieve can comment on how that intersects with Heller.

1 Like

5th paragraph. This is, to be fair, the only place I have read this. I have no reason to believe it is not true, given our current government. Our state government has some real crazy people this time. Our Democrats are not usually like these Democrats. These people seem more like Californians.

To be fair, there are still a fair number of more “normal” Democrats in the Legislature that actually have defeated some of our Governor’s agenda. I hope and pray they defeat this.

1 Like

As we have seen across states in both state courts and federal Courts, the interpretation of Heller has not been consistent. In my opinion, Heller would prohibit banning ARs but we still see these bans in a significant number of states.

2 Likes

They’ll be in for a hell of a constitutional fight if they do so and the current court isn’t likely to be very friendly to 2nd Amendment infringements.

3 Likes

That is why cases going up to SCOTUS now are very important.

4 Likes

I’m not fan of Trump the man but it’s also why it is so very important that the democrats do not retake the WH in 2020. There pretty well zero chance Ginsburg lasts another 4 years and I would not be surprised to see 2 more appointments during the 2020-2024 time frame.

3 Likes

And as long as Trump wins the WH the dems cannot pack the court if they take the Senate.

4 Likes

I would agree that this seems grossly unconstitutional. We will see how this SCOTUS turns out for 2nd amendment with a NY state case going up that could be relevant to this.

2 Likes

I talked to some people more in the know than I am, and they expect this bill to fail. There are still a lot of Democrats in the legislature who like their guns.

Unfortunately, I hear that the Speaker of the house told our Representative that Darth Lujan-Grisham’s primary legislative priority for this next session is banning and confiscating guns. We are in for a wild ride whatever happens.

1 Like