Assault Weapon Ban

So, it looks like this could be coming down the pipe. We had an assault weapons ban back a few years ago. How would that work? Would owners of ARs be forced to hide them? Does hide mean keep it in a closet? Are they gonna try to force a buy back? What would qualify as high capacity mags?

I know many of you don’t like to get political, but if Dems get the senate, we will see gun control. This will be the most progressive 2 years in American history.

I personally don’t own any guns. I sold them all so that I could open a coffee shot and grow dreads. I’m just asking for a friend.

8 Likes

Hahahahahaha oh yeah. You betcha. For sure

3 Likes

I have no doubt they would push for bans on what they call assault weapons and large capacity magazines. That usually means 30 or more. It would probably start with that for the first couple years and increase.
Harris has said in the past that she would like to get the UN involved in gun control.

3 Likes

“It depends”.

Biden’s plan is what he aims to do. Not necessarily what he will accomplish. He not only needs to convince the Republicans to vote for it, but there are a lot of Democrats in Red districts/states who would risk tanking a re-election if the ban goes too far. If this was a year or two ago, I would say he could probably get a lot of it, if not all of it. But 2020 flipped that on it’s head.

If I were Biden, I would put gun control on the back burner and push other “easy” policies through. When (if?) COVID/riots settle down, people may begin to feel safer, and then you can bring it back up again. Plus, if the trend the country is going continues, this blue wave will keep spreading and he’ll have an easier time getting things passed.

With past AWB, you were usually grandfathered in. So if you had it before they enacted the ban then you could keep it. No need to hide them. With Biden’s plan though, you would have two options.

1. Let the gubment “buyback” your AW that they never owned before with your own tax money for a fraction of what you paid for it or,
  2. Register your AW as an NFA item, which is $200 for every firearm that matches whatever AW definition they decide on.

I suspect that either option generally won’t mean you need to hide it, as no one will know whether or not you registered as an NFA item. However, if you happen to encounter some sort of law enforcement for some reason (like maybe a self-defense or home-defense incident), you run the risk of them figuring it out and you get penalized for having an unregistered NFA item. Those penalties are severe.

Biden’s plan does not call for forcing a buyback. Yet. However, once you are registered with the NFA the gubment will have a pretty good sized list of who has what for the day they do want to go knocking door to door. One of the things that New Zealand lamented during their buyback was that they didn’t have a master list of who had what and they claim that’s why they were only able to get such a low percentage of buybacks. I am sure Everytown/Bloomberg was paying attention and has pushed getting this list to the top priority.

I don’t think Biden says what is considered “high capacity” but the general Democrat rule is 10rounds.

4 Likes

It is a good thing we do not have assault weapons. A ban on ARs will not be a good thing, people would make a stand for their rights under the 2nd Amendment. After all if I could buy a howitzer, I would. Or even a tank, that would be fun. 474 million people would not want their second Amendment to be infringed upon.

4 Likes

You would have beto running gun control for harass because you’d be history.

2 Likes

I’m hoping governors like our Texas’ Greg Abbot, will push back with a lot of 10th amendment defense.
This will cause Supreme Court actions which in turn will help push for a Venezuelan type court packing.

6" PVC sales will increase.
These are good to have too…

1 Like

This was my initial thought, But democrats clearly want to pack the court.

2 Likes

He also wants to eliminate the sale of online ammo and guns.

1 Like

So when you say there is no need to hide them, does that mean one could still take it to the range? It sounds like that would be a no :joy:.

I don’t own any guns anymore. Had a change of heart the other day, and I decided to change the world by selling them. Y’all should all do the same. The other option is to go on a fun ride with a boat, bring all your guns along.

4 Likes

Round count won’t be established in a vacuum. He will set the count at whatever the ATF advises.

1 Like

This is what I hope.

1 Like

I don’t know about the howitzer, I have not researched that, but tanks are legal to own privately. The most difficult part of tank ownership, as I understand, is the price. Not many have the $400K+ needed, aside from the storage area and maintenance capability needed for one.

1 Like

Anything less than 18 is going to screw a lot of people over…

1 Like

If you have a credit card you could buy the tank.

3 Likes

I believe Bill Clinton made a similar comment when questioned about Monica… :rofl: Standard capacity of the 5.7 handgun is 20 rounds, the Kel Tec PMR30 is 30 rounds. There are at least several or more that have 21-round or more standard mags and most will accept mags in excess of standard. However, anything less than any mag capacity is still wrong, regardless of mag capacity, standard or otherwise.

4 Likes

GOA is taking donations for the senate race in Georgia. Might give them a small amount.

6 Likes

The AWB of 1994 prohibited the manufacture, sale or transfer of any magazines capable of holding more than 10 rounds or capable of being modified to hold more than 10 rounds.

3 Likes

At this point in the process, I don’t see anyone standing up for their rights, they just voted them all away. Who cuts their nose off?

5 Likes

I think this requires one distinction. If they make an assault weapons ban, AND then strictly enforce it.

I think most people will keep a cool head till someone’s at their door demanding it.

Just hope it doesn’t come to pass, I’d we keep the senate, and the republicans don’t budge on it, we will be fine.

4 Likes