#gunsafety2020 Your favorite nightstand safe?

You guys keep talking. I’m learning here. Good info.

1 Like
1 Like

@RocketPak Great find. I like to buy from small businesses. If they only had the NIV Version though. :upside_down_face:

But into the Amazon cart it went. Guns and ammo are cheap, it’s all the crap I buy that is expensive. It’s the reason my kids are going to community college instead of state schools.

1 Like

@RocketPak I’ll check tonight.

Hey @RocketPak I like that. I might have to get one.

2 Likes

The Vaultek product lines look promising. Can others share their experiences with different models? Particular want to hear about any problems you may have encountered too. Thank you!

1 Like

I haven’t had any issues with mine. Opens about 95% of the time on the first swipe of a fingerprint. Hitting the keypad is a little faster (but not much). Instantly lights up when opening. Nice padding inside. I have the VTI, if theres any specific questions I’d be happy to answer them.

@RocketPak If you like this idea, look online for the movie Lonesome Dove Church.
Nothing to do with the miniseries. Lonesome Dove Church is still a real place, even if they took some liberties with the story. Set in 1800’s.
A preacher (Tom Berenger) leaves his pulpit to fight his way to find his outlaw son and bring him home.
It has a nice personal gun safe near the end of the movie.

Did you destroy the key lock feature?!

@Zee Hmm sadly in Commie-fornia this is an invitation to idiot criminals to break in the glass and try to pry it loose. Something far more concealed is what I am looking for use in a vehicle. Suggestions?

Scratching off the Vaultek products after seeing how it can be easy broken into.
See [1044] Opened With FORK: Vaultek LifePod Gun Safe - YouTube

Despite Vaultek’s claim they ‘fixed’ the flaw, definitely do NOT trust them. Anyone else experience differently or have similar experiences? Please share.

No @momo, just blacked it out for the photo (there’s a key# on the lock that could be seen).

It does look like it’s been drilled out though now that I look at it again, lol.

Gotcha. Have you tried to break into your own safe using a fork or other easy to access items? Asking because well this [1044] Opened With FORK: Vaultek LifePod Gun Safe - YouTube which is alarming to say the least. Nice looking products aren’t always reliable.

Interesting video…and agree, just because something looks nice does not mean it’s reliable.

No, never attempted that, but I’m of the mindset that most gun safes are more deterrents and temporary denial of access than actual long term denial of access. Given enough time a determined thief would be able to eventually break in (just being a matter of time).

My safe deters my kids (or their friends) from accessing and denies them from access. If a thief breaks in hopefully it being bolted to the NS and locked would encourage a thief to move on to something easier for the taking.

Vaultek has been pretty responsive in the past (one of their early models had a BT security flaw). The Lock Picking Lawyer (who is GREAT btw) has beaten many, many, many, many locks. The key is Vaultek saw it and fixed it rather than leave it be.

Not saying Vaultek is a greatest ever and fits for everyone, but I wouldnt cross them off the list for that particular issue.

Ok but how secure are the rest of their products? Do you trust them? I do not.

I do not know of any other break in tests by Lock Picking Lawyer or anyone else, so I can only assume they are fine. I personally am not a safe cracker, but it seems pretty secure to me. By the same token, I would not have thought of putting a fork into one though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I do trust them, it’s OK if you dont though :smiley:

I trust them as far as I trust any other locking mechanism in my possession. Meaning, if left alone long enough anyone determined to get in will get in.

The reason why I do not trust the Vaultek company is because it took a YouTube user to gain their attention and resolve a fatal flaw in their product. Yes they fixed the programming error, but this is something that should have been caught during R&D and quality control testing stages. Sloppy workmanship!

Oh worth noting the Vaultek VTi (aka ProVTi) can be hacked fairly easy.
See Vaultek VTi (PRO VTi): Picked Open In Three Seconds - YouTube
So far have not read Vaultek announcing they are recalling this flawed product. :roll_eyes:

The failure by Vaultek in these situations and by extension other companies, is they do not conduct sufficient testing on their products. With the Vaultek products my faith in the company is greatly diminished to the point I rather not do business with them. I much rather try a product that has earned overall stellar reviews such as the Fort Knox Pistol Boxes https://www.ftknox.com/product-category/pistol-boxes/#

Your mileage may vary.

@JamesR You mention “mini motion sensor light.”
What exactly is a mini motion sensor light. sounds portable since it sounded like you have it inside the gun safe.

1 Like

My thinking is that in the middle of the night if I’m startled to wake up to some noise that makes me need to open up my nightstand safe, I want to make sure I can see what I’m grabbing without trying to turn on a light (I don’t have a lamp on my night stand and don’t know that I’d want to turn on that much light in the room anyway). So this seemed like a good solution and has worked well so far. 4"x1" motion sensor light that is recharged by USB (yep, portable can go pretty much anywhere)…you get two for that price…when the lid pops open, light comes on, I’m good to go.

1 Like