Guns in commercial vehicles

Are there any other truckers out there ?? Most still believe we can’t carry in our vehicles. Well they are if you have that states permits…now remember the puppy trucking companies like Prime , Swift ,Knight and the rest do not allow their drivers to have firearms in the truck ( company policy) and if you get caught by authorities you will probably be arrested due to that companies policy of no firearms…my 2 permits allow me 38 states not counting constitutional carry…Tim

3 Likes

Yeah I find it very stupid that companies don’t allow a permit hold to carry a firearm in the tractor. If I’m in a area thats know for commercial truck being robbed I want to be able to protect myself at all times. Just because idiots want the truck doesn’t mean they won’t try and harm me to get it

3 Likes

I stepped down out of a truck over 11 1/2 years ago but still keep my CDL just in case. I drove for a few different companies and none of them allowed carrying. On top of that if you’re hauling petroleum most of the loading facilities don’t allow firearms on the premises. Or at least the ones around my area don’t.

I totally agree.

1 Like

No, you can’t be arrested because of a company policy, only fired.

1 Like

Sorry but watched a Prime driver in northern Illinois cuffed and taken away for having a firearm in his truck … was standing at the counter when this happened … he was told because Primes company policy forbids firearms in their trucks he was being charged… I’m not saying I agree but these puppy trucking companies kinda do their own thing and if you would see some of the new drivers out here the past 5 years you would not allow it either…

1 Like

I have a pretty regular customer list so I usually know where I can and can’t carry but out of respect for them I leave it in the truck before I go in and reholster when I leave… now here’s a good one I have twice had the law called on me at different truck stops because there are people out here that think truck drivers can’t carry kinda of an inconvenience but better safe than sorry…Tim

1 Like

It will depend on the states laws. I’m from Tx and it is specifically written into our state law that a company policy does not constitute unlawful behavior. In other words, if I have my license and carry against company policy I can be fired, but not breaking any law. Just makes you open to the company releasing you (there are some restrictions and exceptions such as the aforementioned petroleum or chemical companies) Do you happen to know if that driver had an Illinois concealed carry license because Illinois does not recognize any other state’s permit and the state is notoriously anti 2a.

Illinois is a tough state for carry if you’re not from IL… there are a lot of ways to get afoul of the Illinois laws even if you have a carry license from your home state. It may be that, regardless of what they told him, he was crosswise with the state, not Prime.

Just a thought from someone who has to drive through IL several times a month and thinks very carefully about it Every.Single.Time.

1 Like

My Dad was an Independent OTR trucker for as long as I’ve known him I “met” him for the 1st time in 87’ when I was going to Oakland CA for a Navy school (divorced when I was 3.5 yo or so). He had a fairly new Kenny “Anteater” and had a good friend that was a car audio guy. When he showed me his truck my first thought was “My Dad has a kickin’ sound system in this rig.”

Yes it was a custom dash and overhead with high quality audio parts but it was actually a concealed gun locker. He had a “Mare’s leg” lever action 44 magnum pistol / rifle thing in the overhead box and a revolver of some kind behind one of the panels on the dash board. The guy that designed and built the dash and overhead was an mechanical/electrical genius as well as a superb artist and craftsman. It took two steps to open either compartment but only took seconds from the drivers seat to have access. In all the years he drove that rig and all the DOT and police inspections he never got popped. That said he had more than one occasion to utilize the hidden iron to keep from getting high jacked, don’t think he ever fired, the presence was enough.

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like

Company policy doesn’t carry any force of law. If the cop arrested him on that basis it was a bad arrest.

2 Likes