Truckers and Self-Defense: Protection on the Road | USCCA

Considering the high-value loads and frequent trips to crime-ridden areas, it would seem logical to arm over-the-road truck drivers. But virtually all major trucking companies prohibit firearms outright. And it’s difficult to get a reason why. Swift Transportation, J.B. Hunt Transport, Schneider, CRST International, Knight Transportation, C.R. England and US Xpress did not reply to interview requests. Representatives of the American Trucking Associations (ATA), an organization that represents the interests of these large firms and others, declined to be interviewed.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/truckers-and-self-defense-2/

Given some areas where they have no choice but to travel through, I’ve always just assumed most truckers carry. Even if the company officially bans it, as long as truckers are carrying lawfully, the only thing they’re risking is their employment, not arrest or their lives.

Wasp spray for self defense, on the other hand, is all kinds of wrong. There are federal laws covering the misuse of pesticides.

2 Likes

I’ve been a company driver for over 10 years and I have carried everything from apples to subsonic missiles. I have never been allowed to carry a firearm even though I’ve hauled some very important loads. The only thing we are allowed to do in the case of an emergency is push a red button in our cabs and or call 911. Meanwhile we are getting hijacked or murdered for pennies per mile. I understand some truck drivers have the biggest case of road rage and may cause a threat to the public but there are times when I’m out in parts of the country at a random rest area or truck stop and I feel like being able to match threat for threat in the case someone wants to kill me for my load. I think that’s me only wanting to practicing my 2nd amendment constitutional protected right to bear arms and allowing me to make it home to my family. I would at least have a fighting chance. Crossing many state lines would pose a little problem but we should be able to apply for a blanket license to cover all US states. Like a commercial firearm permit. I’ve talked to a lot of Owner Operators and they tell me that they carry all the time. They all say I’m not going to be out here and get caught up in a situation without beening able to defend myself. But hey, what can we do! Be safe out there drivers!

2 Likes

@iamblackelixir Welcome to the community. :us:

1 Like

@BRUCE26 thanks!

1 Like