Gun owner insurance

I am wondering if anyone has gun owner insurance ( GOI ) , and if so have you ever had to use it? Reason being is because I hear talk about how some does not hold up to what they offer. I would hate to rely on them if they do not honor their words.

2 Likes

I have never heard of GOI. I belong to the USCCA. I also believe that God forbid I do get involved in a self defense incident that they will back me 100 percent. On the USCCA portal they have testimonials that you can watch.

6 Likes

Also if you are a responsibly armed citizen and you do happen to get involved in a legit self defense situation then you have nothing to worry about.

3 Likes

GOI- Gun owner insurance

I vaguely remember my NRA membership includes free gun owners insurance, protecting me if I lost my guns in a boating accident.

3 Likes

Reason I asked is because I do travel a lot and I hate to be depending on something not there. I know that if it ever come to a situation of me having to defend or protect my family or self, I am covered in both areas, criminal and civil

1 Like

@Lu-Can - Please define for us what you mean by “gun owner insurance,” and how that might differ from the legal assistance offered through USCCA.

4 Likes

The USCCA offers legal assistance in the event you have to defend yourself with any legal weapon. Note, to qualify for legal assistance, you can not have broken the law in the process, or provoked the attack. If that is what you are looking for… surprise! You found it! :partying_face::slightly_smiling_face: I don’t believe there is an “insurance”. If I am correct, US Law Shield, USCCA, and NRA Carry Guard all have the same legal defense assistance, but the packages vary company to company and plan to plan.
There should be a terms and conditions link in your dashboard under memberships. It has all the specifics of coverage.

2 Likes

I second @OldGnome. What do you mean “Gun Owner Insurance”? You are on a forum that provides legal assistance when faced with a self defense situation. Many refer to this(USCCA) as “carry insurance” however it is a membership and not an insurance company. The only real difference is that the USCCA don’t have to abide by the same stipulations as an insurance companies but they provide the same , if not better protection.

If you are looking to compare different options, the other “carry insurance” that I would put on par or better when it comes down to lawyers is “CCW Safe”. However, the USCCA offers more than just top notch protection but training and this is a community not just insurance.
The NRA offers or used to offer the Carry Guard insurance. The NRA cancelled that program in July of 2019 but they may have restarted it? @Levi2 On the current Carry guard webpage it only talks about the training portion and not insurance as well.
If you are referring to your physical guns being insured, many car/home insurance offers a gun protection policy for just a few more $$ a month. Example: I have USAA and they cover my Guns in an event of theft or destruction (fire or something).
@Lu-Can

2 Likes

If you go to your dashboard, click the menu bar in the top right corner. Click membership, then scroll down right under where it shows current membership level. The words “membership agreement” in blue, click that and it will prompt the agreement download.

NRA Carry Guard has been discontinued as of 08/2019. The Carry Guard website has been stripped of all mentions of the “insurance” program.

I think the misconception that these programs are insurance come from the fact that you pay for the services, then if a self defense incident occurs, the services are used. It is similar to insurance…insurance dishes out money, but USCCA and others give legal assistance that is limited by dollar amounts. Similar I suppose, but not insurance.

3 Likes

I believe that is exactly the argument put forth by the states of Washington and New York - that what USCCA offers is “insurance.”

4 Likes

It is, but IMO, there are a lot of people that don’t have a couple hundred thousand dollars to shell out for court if they have to defend themselves. The USCCA membership benefits are a way to help attain a fair trial, that may not be had by an inexperienced public defender. Those people may not have a snowballs chance in hell if not assisted by the USCCA, and I think that’s what has the “great” states of NY and WA pissed. What better way to usher in gun control, than to have everyone that commits an act of violence, legal or illegal, looking like a criminal in jail? Why should they not make it easier for themselves to forward an agenda? As someone who has had the disfortune of dealing with a public defender, and whitnessing the railroad company that the courts run, I wouldn’t trust any public defender to help me after a self defense incident.

2 Likes

I do thank everyone for their input and it is helpful and give good understanding. I now understand that it is a mix up of wording. Again thank you all.

2 Likes

Well if you join the USCCA you won’t have to worry about what you are worried about. They will not turn there backs on you.

2 Likes

More specifically, “crime insurance”. Which is, of course, a garbage excuse to chill gun ownership and self-defense.

Sadly, this election is probably not going to replace the idiot WA Insurance Commissioner who did that.

…unless you live in Washington… :angry:

1 Like

that’s why I stated that it was similar but it was a membership not an insurance company.

you realize that the USCCA didn’t turn their back on Washington. If the State government is preventing them from providing the same services as all the other states, then that is on Washington and not USCCA. Washington also is not the only State that doesn’t allow the USCCA to work within their desired means.

2 Likes

Welcome to the family and you are in the right place at the right time.

Speaking of insurance when is the last time you made sure you have an up to date list of serial numbers, descriptions and approx values for your home owners (or other applicable) insurance in case of fire theft or boating accidents

I keep a copy in a secure location just in case but my insurance company doesn’t need them unless I have a claim

1 Like