Gun Free Military Bases

Since 1993, every time there is a shooting on a US military base there is discussion about why they are gun free zones (other than MPs). The only other active shooter protection I am aware of on base is the Mass Notification System (MNS) that was not fully implemented on all bases when I retired in 2013.

What do you think about gun free military bases?

4 Likes

Should be base or area specific. In a shipyard environment it’s very hazardous and not very practical to carry a firearm. However on the upper base I don’t see what the problem would be. I’m not sure what the Armory’s process is for issuing weapons but that could be a nightmare. I do not think carrying personal weapons on base in uniform is a good idea. Concealed carry should be allowed on base in civies and should be in accordance to local laws. Off base in uniform concealed carry should absolutely be allowed also in accordance with local laws.

The Pearl Harbor incident is extremely concerning because it was a watch stander who was the shooter. But that’s and entirely different discussion.

6 Likes

I served 24 years and I have never understood this policy. Every active duty member, regardless of service, has gone through some form of firearms training. That can’t be said for a lot of people who can legally carry. Like my opposition to gun free zones in general, what better way to add an additional layer of security than to have responsibly armed Americans? Law enforcement can’t be everywhere.

8 Likes

I was in the Army in 1968-1986 and there was no such nonsense whatsoever. When President Clinton started that rule I seriously thought he had well (Fill in the Blank) but why would anyone institute such policy? Probably liberal anti-gunners pressure on President Clinton. It was stupid then and more stupid now. My last duty station was Fort Hood, TX we all know or have heard what happened there. It’s just naked stupidity not to have guns in a military installation period.
Things have changed since November 2016 there’s different directives now but I’m not up on them. I understand under different circumstances a service member can carry his own gun but remiss to say I was am not an expert on what goes on now. I was happy to be separated and at my age now I’m guessing I will not be called back in to duty.
Well I better add his or her own gun; sorry when I was in women were not many or even interested to be carrying a rifle or .45 they were Army Nurses and Typist back then

5 Likes

I personally hated the no-firearm/carry rule. Ft. Hood was huge, and police response time could vary depending on where something was happening. It took well over an hour to drive from the southern part of the base to the north part of the training area. The town outside of Ft. Hood, Killeen, was not a very nice place in parts as I am sure @Robert8 remembers. It made zero sense to me that as members of the ARMED forces we were not allowed to bear ARMS to protect ourselves.

5 Likes

@James Hello James, Well Killeen was an interesting town for sure. The Strip (I cannot remember the name (or number) anymore it’s been 34 years since I was there. The Strip was bars, gas stations, cat houses, pawn shops. I had a beautiful house on 10 acres with a pond, a crazy neighbor I remember her name. My house was In Gatesville, TX more family oriented and quiet. I had other neighbors who were TX DPS. Anyway, Killeen was a real Army town back then. I was on South Hood but did spend time at North Hood.

4 Likes

Ft. Hood was 30 square miles. 30x30x30x30

1 Like

Are you kidding me? You want to trust our ARMED forces with … wait for it … arms? 17 and 18 year olds running rampant around base with assault rifles? What are you thinking?
Personally, I find it ridiculous that on base, we require UNArmed Forces.

7 Likes

All good comments. Now ask yourself, Do we want to trust the government with our freedom? Just look what happens when they have total control.

4 Likes

I believe you are thinking about Rancier Ave. It is not much different now. It still is an Army town, but just maybe in a different sense.

4 Likes

I think it’s the height of stupidity. Like any other gun free zone.

4 Likes

I was at Ft. Hood a few years before the now infamous shooting visiting my cousin who was stationed there. I did not feel safe in Killeen - that was before I carried and I was a lot younger.

I still do not understand how we UNarm our armed forces either, @MikeBKY.

5 Likes

I don’t understand it one bit. For personal protection, or for the event of an emergency. The anti-2A folks always talk about untrained persons with guns. Soldiers are trained to use guns the rest of us don’t have access to, and the other folks still don’t trust the men and women who defend their freedoms. A gun free zone, full of “military grade” weapons. The definition of an oxymoron.

4 Likes

ya, and supposedly He was having issues with his Command? Serious misperceptions of the enlisted man’s condition/state of mind indicated by the XO and Ships’ MAA - even if you’re needing to fill a watch station in rotation. (Fer’ christsake, one of the Two watchstanters on the ship in docks - armed at that time?!)

2 Likes

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-florida-shooting/pressure-mounts-on-fbi-for-answers-on-florida-naval-base-shooting-idUSKBN1YD10B

The FBI confirmed on Sunday that Alshamrani had legally purchased somewhere in Florida the Glock 9mm pistol he used in the shooting. DeSantis said he was able to buy the firearm because of a “federal loophole” in gun laws that allow nonimmigrant foreign nationals to purchase weapons for an array of reasons, including if they simply have a hunting license.

“I’m big supporter of the Second Amendment, but it’s so Americans can keep and bear arms, not Saudi Arabians,” the governor told reporters.

I am grateful to have a governor like DeSantis, speaking the truth.
As POTUS had said, too, “…until we can figure what the heck is going on”. Validated, tragically.

3 Likes

Great topic and many good observations thus far. As a retired AF Senior NCO I really believe the no gun policies stem from CYA among the senior officers. None of them want their careers stymied because of a shooting on base that might be caused by a military or civilian lawfully carrying. Heaven forbid they miss their next promotion! The fact that innocent people will die as a result of their policy is of no concern to them. They can just hide behind their no gun policy and declare they did all they could. #RememberVirginia

5 Likes

I always thought the you can’t carry rule on base unless it’s a sanctioned training exercise was pretty stupid. When I was stationed at Ft Campbell from 1995 to 1999 you were allowed to have a personal firearm while living in the barracks. The caveat was it had to be locked up in the armory. If you were to take it to go hunting or a shooting range for target practice you had to have prior approval and arrangements with the armorer to check it out and back in. I’m trained in various weapons platforms and trusted with them when they are issued for training, war, etc but I can’t be trusted with my own personal firearm is just plain crazy.

5 Likes

I was in Mosul when the shooting happened. We had no idea where it was and I had a lot of friends with family that were living on post. It was a very worrisome time. One friend was on an advance party and was in the building 30 min prior to the shooting.

3 Likes

As a military contractor I visited many military bases - used to know Knox, Hood, Riley, and many others like the back of my hand. Anyway, I had to stand by the wall many times while the car I had just rented was gone over with a fine tooth comb. I always sweated they might find something a previous renter had left behind. They never did. so all is well. :+1:

What concerns me more personally is as a parent. My son lives off base and must drive to and from his house in uniform unarmed because he cannot get on the base with one. :-1:

3 Likes

As I understand it, one reason why the bases are gun free is the leaders dont want our military personal becoming Rambo should there be an active shooter.

There is a growing movement stemming from these shootings of military personal wanting to be allowed to carry on base.

2 Likes