Gun Belts

What specifics make a gun belt “good” or reliable? Specifically for iwb carry. Thank you for your time.

6 Likes

I love my Kore essentials belt. It uses a ratcheting system and is easily adjusted between sitting and standing.

I really like my Hanks belt. It’s very comfortable.

Those are the only two gun belts I have experience with other than an $11 Amazon buy (hint: don’t get that one).

There are lots of good brands. A good belt makes a huge difference. They are worth every penny. A good gun belt will hold its shape like a hula hoop when you hold it up .

10 Likes

A good belt (for me) means a comfortable day carrying my gun and extra mag, vs a very painful and miserable day carrying my gun and mag. :grinning:

I have tried several leather belts from various makers, well, a lot really, and most of them work great for 6 months to a year, then they seem to loose their stiffness. I am not sure why… My next option on leather is Hank’s, or A Better Belt, both recommended to me. I am also tempted to try the Kore, mentioned above. I tried a Nexbelt, but no go for me, even with a Glock and no extra mag.

I am finding belts to be harder to find than a good holster! Good luck finding yours.

6 Likes

Another vote for KORE.
The most important for IWB carry is to have easy, fast and precise system that allows you to loosen or tighten the belt depending on the situation. Racheting system makes this perfect.
I like the belt to be rigid, but this is not so important for IWB.

7 Likes

I have been using the same 5.11 TDU belt pretty much every day for the past 5 or so years. Nothing fancy but adjusts easily and does not slip. Works for me for IWB, OWB and pocket carry. Best $15 I’ve ever spent.

5 Likes

I’ve tried “gun” belts and “regular” belts. The commonality in both must be well stitched, sturdy and at least 1 1/2” . Work Sport has been my go to brand for a while now.

4 Likes

@Shamrock Not knocking the big brands. There are many good options out there for half the price. I like that price point!

4 Likes

Hank’s. No doubt. If you’re carrying a micro, you can get away with almost anything that holds up your pants. Definintely get in the habit of lossening the belt when sitting for awhile and tightening it when standing, walking, and other vigorous movement. I don’t trust ratchet style or old school slider buckle systems. I have had to cut them off of myself (as a kid) and others (adults). A good western or gun belt also doubles as a great tourniquet.

5 Likes

Carrying IWB at 5:00, I find almost any decent belt works. Seriously, my EDC is an $18 leather belt I bought at The GAP years ago. If I’m going to an affair that calls for something nicer, I have a dress belt on the thicker side which I think is key.

I’ve never been uncomfortable with the fit or feel, even driving for 12 hours across the state of Texas recently (although maybe I should look at my back in the mirror as it’s possibly taking on the contour of a foam insert in a gun case :thinking:).

5 Likes
4 Likes

I have Kore and Hank’s belts, too. I heartily second that recommendation.

I did purchase the “Best Belt for Concealed Carry” (after Googling that phrase) off of Amazon, too. It was just a meh, for me. I got the feeling that most of the thousands of five star reviews were fake. It was just an Okay belt, in my opinion. Nothing more. It wasn’t cheap, either.

I’d stick with Kore and Hanks. And the Kore ones even look dressy, if that’s your thing!

4 Likes

I ordered a reinforced Kore belt. Will see how it does.

4 Likes

Definitely Kore. I have 2 and love them! I’m a big guy and these are amazing. Good quality, price is a little high but it’s totally worth it.
I look for rigidity in carry belts.
Leather belts tend to fold over time unless they have a stiff core.
Ultimately, once you find a good belt, find a buckle that doesn’t hurt while wearing it.

6 Likes

I have been running 2 gun belts; 5.11 tactical series and a thick brown leather belt made in the U.S.A. They both work well for me with IWB or OWB and are very comfortable.

5 Likes

I’m still using my NexBelt. It fits great. The ratchet type buckle offers great adjustment. It is also strong enough to carry my hunting rig, which is an OWB holster with a 6 inch barrel GP100(loaded weight around 3.5 lbs) all day in the field.

4 Likes

As much as I like thick leather belts, the Kore gun belt has been my go-to for EDC, and will be the first one that I buy another of (this time in black to better hide the holster clip).

4 Likes

Here are a few other conversations about tactical belts in the Community:

Hope that helps, @DeeB

3 Likes

Yes I do remember these topics and treads.:+1::+1:

1 Like

I love nextbelt and carry IWB.

6 Likes

I stand corrected. Which is okay, I have a good self image :slightly_smiling_face:
Anyway… I can see why your leather belt hasn’t folded, it is so thick. I suppose that makes all the difference. Thanks for sharing. I may go that route in the future; thick leather belt!

3 Likes