Gilroy Garlic Festival Shooting

An acquaintance of Facebook was volunteering at the Festival when the shooting occurred. She later posted on facebook, “Last image that will always be etched in my brain and remember the 2019 Garlic festival? Me an [my husband] outside by the levy waiting to see if we can get our car and go home, sitting curb side and I look down and see a volunteer meal ticket with blood on it.” Attached to the post was this photo.

I showed the post and photo to my wife and she said “OK?” I asked “Do you see anything wrong with this picture?” She responded that I am over analyzing.

I am just wondering if others see what I see (or not see) or am I over analyzing?

4 Likes

Looks like the “blood” is under the white on the left side of the ticket. If someone bled on that, the white wouldn’t be visible.

4 Likes

Yes I see what you see and Chet also

2 Likes

I agree with @45IPAC

Also I’ll try to not sound completely heartless.

Any loss of innocent life is tragic and heartbreaking, but no one is doing anything to actually prevent these and it turns into a big political event instead of allowing the families the mourn they become a politicians poster family for more gun control.

Tho it doesnt go far, I am truly sorry that this has happened and I’ll pray for those involved to be able to recover and somehow have some good come from this.

3 Likes

As a printer for many decades, the “blood” smear looks as though it might be a smudge of solvent on the paper before printing. Possibly. Hard to tell without seeing the actual ticket. At any rate, I don’t believe it happened after the piece was printed. The ticket was most likely printed on white paper and then the black lettering was over printed onto it in a second pass through the press (assuming a single color press). In other words, the white image was not printed onto a violet background, the violet was printed onto white paper. It is extremely difficult to print an opaque white image onto any color background, even just a solid block, let alone a finely detailed line drawing.

Just my $.02 based on personal history. Not saying it’s a deliberate hoax, but most likely a mundane printing error.

Regards

P.S.: A slight smudge of ink solvent would cause that violet ink to bleed (no pun intended) to that darker red tone.

2 Likes

I’ve worked in printing as well, @David38 and I see where you’re coming from. My other thought was the white printing was glazed.

3 Likes

Could be glazed, but it doesn’t appear shiny. I’m not quite up to date on modern tech, though, since I spent 25+ years working with equipment that was obsolete long before I got my hands on it. I believe most of the principles remain the same.

Regards.

1 Like

I saw a report on BBC. and it said that this park was also a GUN FREE ZONE. So everyone there was DISARMED EXCEPT FOR LEO’s. And yet again the ANTI-GUN PEOPLE/GROUPS have come out calling for more gun control to stop these things from happening. And in the same report the county has a population of 1.5 million people and ONLY 113 HAVE A CARRY PERMIT IN THE COUNTY AS WELL. So in this county most of the citizens are UNARMED AND NOT ABLE TO DEFEND THEMSELVES OR OTHERS.

2 Likes

Everyone sees what I saw. Don’t get me wrong, I am not trying tot imply that someone posted something as a rally cry but I definitely think they did not appreciate what they were looking at. And I agree, the white could be glossed or embossed, but, if that was blood, it still would have stuck on to some degree. Blood isn’t like water, it’s more syrupy and would have stuck at least on some of the white. The white portion is perfectly clean. Without seeing another ticket, a cannot say whether this one is a defect or if it is by design. That very well could represent smoke off a grill. I just pretty certain it is not a blood stain.

1 Like

It just occurred to me that since this happened in CA, it is highly possible, even likely, that those tickets were printed with a soy based ink. If that is the case then a dribble or smear of an acidic liquid, such as lemonade, might be a sufficient solvent to dissolve the ink.

Just another possibility.

Regards.

3 Likes

"And yet again the ANTI-GUN PEOPLE/GROUPS have come out calling for more gun control to stop these things from happening. "

Never let a crisis go to waste…

4 Likes

On this evening’s news I saw a clip of a CA LEO talking about how the police are outgunned by the bad guys with their weapons designed for the battlefield and how we need these assault weapons out of civilian hands.

Excuse me? Didn’t you just report that your officers were already on site, responded in one minute with their handguns, and quickly ended the shooter? Doesn’t sound like they were too badly outgunned. Skill with your weapon of choice goes a long way against lesser skills with a supposedly “superior” weapon.

Regards.

4 Likes

Same anti-gun mantra.

4 Likes

That is crap! Law enforcement has access to true assault rifles. MY SO had surplus M16s owned by the SO. Deputies could purchase ARs at Department cost if they wanted to. There is no reason for the PD to be outgunned … unless the department (or more likely the politicians) has decided that they need to “demilitarize” to make the public feel good!

6 Likes

That was my thought when I read that. I see officers driving MRAP’s in cities, carrying actual machine guns on the news and think to myself “are we here to protect and serve” or “oppress and enslave.” No I don’t think cops are bad, but a few “officers” in lock step of a tyrant, armed in such a manner becomes big trouble real fast.

4 Likes

You sure that wasn’t a Police Chief? They aren’t LEO. They are politicians beholden to the City Council that hired them and fire them. They express the politics of their politician masters. Especially in CA.

3 Likes

I had an AR 15, shotgun and semi auto pistol with a lot of rounds for each. I didn’t feel under gunned. Kiddie Cops these days. Spray and pray and claim your under gunned. Haha.

2 Likes

As with all groups - I’m sure some fall under the spray and pray mentality. :confused:

I would hope that the police officers who felt “under gunned” would learn and train more so that they are able to better defend themselves. A handgun against a rifle is a different fight than a handgun against a handgun - maybe that’s what they were referring to?

4 Likes

If they were working inside the venue their patrol rifles were probably locked in their cars.

3 Likes

Everyone was “Under Gunned” except the bad guys because it was yet another “Gun Free Zone”.

No law we can ever conceive of much less pass is going to make the bad guys give up their guns.

4 Likes