Full-sized IWB carry

My EDC is a Kimber Micro 9 with an Urban Carry leather IWB holster. Overall, I am very happy with this setup. I live in Florida where tees and shorts are my usual attire and I know it conceals well and is super comfortable to carry. My biggest complaint is the number of rounds available, but I can and do live with the trade-off.

My question is this: I am purchasing a Canik TP9SFX primarily as my home defense weapon. I want a full-sized pistol with a large capacity. I won’t carry it often , but would like to on occasion. I am looking for experiences carrying a 5” plus pistol IWB.

1 Like

I carry a full-frame .45, but not IWB. I use an OWB and wear a Hawaiian shirt in Summer.

1 Like

Why stop at 5”?

Sorry, just messing with you.
Only carry what’s extremely comfortable and completely manageable during a self defense situation, practice what you carry and carry what you practice with. Capacity is never as good as placement.
I was totally opposed, in 1985, to the militaries switch to the Berretta. All during my service I carried a standard Colt 45. Great accuracy, but even on watch, a bit of a burden! That was OWB carry!
I comfortably have been carrying a 3” Kimber 45, IWB over 12 years.

4 Likes

Anything more than 4” I would not carry IWB, but that’s just me. I’m a short guy and don’t need more weight to carry. Now on the other hand an OWB carry I would definitely do with a full size pistol. Kydex or leather wouldn’t make a difference to me.

4 Likes

I carry a full size 1911 45acp with 4 extra magazines but what we call off body in my Tommygunpack it fit very well and I also carry a first aid kit in it too. I’ve used this for some 30 years and has served me very well and still does. Remember stay alert and don’t get hurt.

1 Like

yeah OWB is an option. I just worry about printing a larger gun. Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks George. This is definitely an idea that could work well for me. I carry often in my golf bag, always in the same place. I find myself worrying about it somehow falling out of the bag and not knowing. I usually check it several times a round. Any concerns there for you with a backpack?

1 Like

I got a custom made for my full size but since Hawaiian shirts got so popular I throw a tee shirt and any old button up over it unbuttoned

2 Likes

The hardest part to conceal is the grip, overall, in my experience. I carry full size guns all the time, with my ‘small’ one being Glock 19 size.

There are quite a few options that can work, you just need to figure it out. AIWB works well; may take a few tries to find one that works for you.

IWB can work, again, get a good holster. I use a Crossbreed
OWB is also an option, with a longer cover garment. Baggier helps some too.
For any of these options, and in Florida, I would suggest that you get a holster that has the slide guard that comes up to protect your side.

2 Likes

No problem with a backpack, but I don’t use a backpack anymore.

1 Like

This may sound weird, but check out carry purses. They will give you a good idea of how to keep your firearm secure inside of a bag of some sort.

Are you carrying inside a separate pocket of the golf bag? Tees have a way of getting in everything :golf:

2 Likes

I carry a 4 inch PPQ IWB appendix. Not quite up to what you’re asking about, but I have no problems. I wear a vest, though. Not allowed to have an untucked shirt at work.

1 Like

Michael697 I know what you mean about your golf bag, I friend of mine work a old holster into his bag that still had a snap strap that worked as retention holding his gun tight in that holster all over what his golf course could offer , when if ever he had to draw one quick reach into the compartment the holster is in and his them his thumb Unsnap the strap and out comes his gun, just food for thought.

1 Like

There’s a “Women’s Conceal Carry Options” thread here you might want to check out. (Note: it’s not about how to carry concealed women. The title is disappointingly misleading.)

2 Likes

I’m not a little person (6’2", 225), but I have trouble carrying a 1911 in a strong side IWB without it printing through a single shirt or a sweatshirt or a blazer. The grip is the troublemaker, be it 3, 4, 5, or 6 oclock–it prints.
I can make it disappear with an appendix carry, but it’s not the most comfortable carry option (understatement).
If I was a spy or on Miami Vice, it doesn’t print in a shoulder holster under anything like a hoodie or a coat or a white blazer–yeah, me and Don Johnson. I just don’t like the gun pointing backwards or the cross body draw, but on a long drive, it’s not a bad option (even though i never do it).

1 Like

Strong side ALWAYS prints on me. That is why I went with appendix carry.

1 Like

I have a p320 x5 legion with optic and light that I will carry if I am working security for an event at my church or traveling in the city. My daily is a 365xl. I train with both, I am proficient with both. The xl is more comfortable to carry, especially while sitting for extended amounts of time and conceals a bit more. The x5 has a higher capacity and I can take faster, longer range shots with a heavier, full size firearm.

Both are carried AIWB, both can be concealed well and all around can work well as a carry gun. They just excel at different things, I fit the tool to the job.

The larger and heavier a firearm, the more important it is to have a proper belt and holster. I also add self adhesive neoprene to the bottom of my aiwb holsters to add to comfort and to act as a wedge, pressing the grip into my belly to add concealment.

1 Like

I carry a Sig M11-A1 or full size P320 at times in an Alien Gear Cloak Tuck iwb. It’s all day comfortable.

1 Like

The weather in getting much warmer, so Ive switched to my Kimber Ultra CDP 45acp. I carry IWB appendix, safety on, with a round in the chamber naturally. With the safety on and the grip safety, I’m quite comfortable with IWB appendix carrying my Kimber compact.

I have a full sized Norinco M1911 also, but I have yet to try IWB appendix carry with it.

1 Like

I’ve been carrying AIWB and IWB with a 7.28" overall length and 5.04" height (w/mag.) and have been pleased with both positions. Although, AIWB is best at 11:30-12:00 because of the handle, (right hand draw). The IWB works good at the 3:00 for me. I don’t care for anything much further back. Both holsters are from Alien Gear.

1 Like