Friday Favorite: Hunting Rifle

The change of the season can mean a lot of different things to different people. Some think of pumpkin everything, others are thankful for the cooler weather and easier concealment of their EDC, and still, others are preparing for hunting season and eyeing up a new hunting rifle.

What is your favorite hunting rifle and why?

If your favorite rifle has a story you’re willing to share, we’d love to see photos to go along with your story!

2 Likes

Remington 270, Mod 700.
It’s fast, it’s accurate and it has enough punch to handle anything I hunt. I’ve carried hunting Elk but didn’t get a shot. For Mule Deer, it works great and Coyotes hate it.

Edit, added a Pic.

4 Likes

Marlin Model 336 .30.30 cal. Bought it almost new in 1980ish for $200.00. I now shoot Hornaday
Flex-tip 160grn. Accurate out to 300yds.
Have taken more deer then I can remember. :us:

5 Likes

My son has a newer version of that, he loves it.

1 Like

Let me check my bucket list.

Hunting… still unchecked. :weary:

4 Likes

I have always loved my Ruger 44 mag rifle. I was originally my grandfather’s. I will have to post a picture of it for you all soon!

2 Likes

Tikka T3 Hunter left handed. .30-06. Very good, accurate rifle. This hog had the opportunity to see what it can do.

4 Likes

Marlin 336. .30-30. Good, reliable. Gave it to my son. He got all three hogs with one shot. Perfect timing. Pretty cool.

3 Likes

That is way cool, good for your son he will be telling the story for a long time. Love my 30.30. :+1:

3 Likes

I will admit I have “blooded” many of my collectable rifles over the years. I have two dedicated “hunting” rifles in the form of Ruger M-77 tang safety’s one in 30-06 and one in 300WM. Both are stupid accurate for 3 rounds then they fall off. Never needed more than 2 rounds out of either. Unfortunately the 30-06 is “puppy dogging” and I haven’t had time to go in and fix it so it sits. My “over the hood-don’t feel like walking gun” is an AR-10 in 308 or my competition gun in 30-06 both are stupid accurate out to 1K + yards. My latest WArG (Walking Around Gun) is a side cocker AR-15 in 7.62X39. FIL is talking about a new big chest freezer for the farm. The past few years I have been lucky to get one day in the woods and the need to put meat in the freezer was not there. This year is different and given the situation of the day I may have to limit out this year and embrace the suck of cleaning and butchering multiples (2 per day 6 per year + bonus tags)

Before you mid west/mountain guys/girls cry foul, a “good size” east coast VA deer dresses out empty at about 90 lbs so you get about 45 lbs of meat depending on how careful you are.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

Marlin .30-.30 here. It was a gift when I was young and has never let me down…although one year the Winchester ammo did let me down, the rifle never has.

2 Likes

All my deer hunting has been in timber and brush. Ruger .44 carbine has done the trick.

5 Likes

I love mine too! What year was yours manufactured in? It is interesting to see the differences.

2 Likes

I never ran the year will have to dig up the serial # and see when it was made. I bought it in 1982 so it goes back aways. Will let you know!

1 Like

Ruger seems to have dropped it off the search function by serial #

You can pull the manuals and they list pre and post 1974

They make no distinction on the stock configurations. Mine is plain walnut.

My serial # makes it a pre 1974:

Upon further review I believe it is 1972

After 1974:

I don’t see any difference in the Carbine itself. The later manual is much more explicit with enhanced warnings!

1 Like

Springfield armory. 308.

5 Likes

@James1169 A fine rifle in a fine caliber. Welcome to the community, we are glad to have you here. :us:

2 Likes

Thank you, glad to be here.

2 Likes

Nice piece of hardware brother @James1169 :+1::+1:

Welcome to the family brother @James1169 and you are in the right place at the right time.